Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > DMC-12
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 01:33 PM   #1
DMC12
DeLorean Guy

Exclamation How difficult was it for dealers to sell DeLoreans?

from Jim Rose, former dealer, based on personal experience:

The cars were not hard to sell at all.

We had a back log of customers for the first 10 months. These customers had put up $1000 deposit on a car without knowing how much they would eventually have to pay for the car. They were told by the press (enthusiast magazines) that the car would be priced close to the corvette. You have to remember that this was 1981 in the middle of the oil boom in Texas. There was a lot of money in Texas and most of it was in Houston. We see bumper stickers now on old Cadillacs which read "O LORD PLEASE SEND ANOTHER OIL BOOM AND I WILL NOT PISS IT ALL OFF THIS TIME."

There was never an American-two-seat sport car sold that did not have a good resale value. A gullwing built by John DeLorean caught everyones attention. I sold all I could get for over list price for the first ten months. Our volume was about 25 or 30 cars per month. Since all the cars I got were committed for by reservation, it was nearly impossible for a man off the street to walk in a dealership and buy one. I sold the reservation by number. Say for example I sold you number 25. If number 24 backed out on buying his car it did not go to you. I sold it to a customer off the street and these guys usually paid $30000 to $35000 for the car. You were assured at having first right of refusal on car number 25. Some customers sold their reservation for a profit. Some had two or three reservations for this purpose.

It took so long for John to raise the money, build the plant, form a dealer body, and produce the car a lot was written about the car. DeLorean is a showman and he got his every move printed. I doubt if any car ever got more publicity than the DeLorean. Its introduction was high profile. Everyone wanted this car before they drove it.

After the test drive, the real car buffs were disappointed. It was not fast and the first cars did not have the fine points you would find in a twenty seven thousand dollar sport car in 1981. The people who bought the car loved it and most of them were still happy with the car a year after they bought it in spite of some little problems the first cars had. About five percent of my customers were not happy with the car and that was not much different than the Buicks and Mazdas we sold.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:48 PM   #2
SuPeRcAr_MaN
AF Fanatic

I am not suprised at all that these cars sold quickly. I wish I would be lucky enough to own one.
SuPeRcAr_MaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 07:47 PM   #3
Marc-OS
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Marc-OS Send a message via AIM to Marc-OS
Well, they sure don't sell very well anymore. I've had my Delorean for sale nearly 10months, and I've only had a few people that thought about buying it, but they never did.
Marc-OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 11:47 PM   #4
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc-OS
Well, they sure don't sell very well anymore. I've had my Delorean for sale nearly 10months, and I've only had a few people that thought about buying it, but they never did.
Damn, hope they continue to sell poorly....I'll likely be in the market for a black Delorean when I finish college in 2005

I absolutely love the painted ones, especially black, but I want to buy one that's already been painted, since I think I'd feel guilty painting a stainless one....

Old 01-30-2003, 11:24 AM   #5
DMC12
DeLorean Guy

The DeLoreans for sale on eBay have all sold for decent prices lately. You might consider privately posting it on eBay... I know you'd owe some money to the consignment place because they re-upholstered some seat, but you never told them to do so right? Sell it for about $10,000 on eBay, then take that car shop to court if they make you pay for the repairwork (you never authorized it, nor received an invoice... correct?).

Quote:
Originally posted by Heep
I think I'd feel guilty painting a stainless one
If you painted a non-damaged D, I'd hunt you down "like a duck" and throw Frisbee Flyers at you
Old 01-30-2003, 01:32 PM   #6
TerminalVelocity
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TerminalVelocity
buy a good one, sell the good pannels with an agreement to take severly damaged pannels, repair those and put them on, paint the car

Solid Crew (Circa 2002)
TerminalVelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 08:34 PM   #7
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
Heep - you want a black Delorean? ACK! Thats just not right. The car should be in its original silver or (if your one of the few lucky bastards out there) gold. I've seen red and it was ok, but I cant imagine it looking good in black.

In any case - one day you'll have your chance.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 02-03-2003, 11:08 PM   #8
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep
Quote:
Originally posted by YogsVR4
Heep - you want a black Delorean? ACK! Thats just not right. The car should be in its original silver or (if your one of the few lucky bastards out there) gold. I've seen red and it was ok, but I cant imagine it looking good in black.
Oh they look DAMN good, IMO

Old 04-06-2003, 10:06 AM   #9
Future Boy
AF Regular

Hi, long time Delorean enthusiast, first time poster. I LOVE Deloreans! They're my favorite car. I'm going to get one after college and I have an engineering job to pay for it. An earlier one, with grey interior, gas door on hood, 5 speed, that I could restore to original factory specs.

Does anyone know where any of the original dealers were located? Or have pictures of them or the original Delorean factory in Ireland?
Future Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:50 AM   #10
DMC12
DeLorean Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Future Boy
Or have pictures of them or the original Delorean factory in Ireland?
Sad to say, but the most active source of DMC information is not here. I've tried getting owners to post here, but they have their little cliques If you PM me I can provide you with some links to ask about dealer locations. Also, for high quality photos of the factory, do a Google Image search - no BS! I've found so many factory photos that way (including an assembly line diagram!!!).
Old 04-13-2003, 12:42 PM   #11
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
Cliques? Where's mine! :finger:

I don't post a lot about the Delorean because I really don't have that much to offer. I have few pictures and haven't dont much mechanical work as to offer much advice. Its a fun car to have, and maybe once we get our next house purchased, we'll have more time to spend on it and have some info to share.

If anyone interested in the cars hasn't stopped at http://www.dmcnews.com yet - I suggest you pop in for a quick look see.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!