Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > Engine
Engine intakes, exhaust, turbos, nitrous.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 06:59 PM   #1
180sx-dude
AF Newbie

Lightbulb hi guys newbie here ... with not too newbie questions um i think

hi guys im new to this forum i was desparately needing some info and i thought i would finally sign up.
Anyhows my questions is basically this.
I own a 180sx sr20det , (with basic mods exhaust filter upgraded actuator and boost fuelling etc), and where i live there arent any mechanics which can be considered as decent.
so after 4 years and 1 tottally deformed engine , (my mechanic didnt change the oil filter it gunked up threw a rod and bent the crankshaft)
I am about to tune my car myself.

Now in this god forsaken country of mine there are like 2 mechanics which are meant to be motorsport mechanics and they basically feed off little kids by selling them cams air filters and exhausts and fuel press reg. for 4000$ for their civic. and tell them that they will get aboout 320 bhp Anyhow you get the picture....

The result is that im sick of it and am finally wanting to tune my car more i have ordered a good sized intercooler and turbo after some reasearch aswell as an external wastegate and i have the basic mods as well as apexi s-afc as i dont wish to run lean (will get injectors soon)

I have heard and seen many many mentions of 400bhp on stock internals from the basic sr20det, my problem is in my country whoever tries to tune a typical 2.0 turbo car over 240 bhp they blow it....

I have heard count less times that stock internals are good for 280 bhp only ... a head gasket will take you up to 350 if it lowes the compression adequately.

question 1: what is the max bhp / boost stock internals (standard head gastket) will handle taking into account that the car will be driven 5 times a week and driven fast on 3-4 nights of the week

question 2: what do i need to look out for ,

I plan to set up my cooler and turbo now run about 1 bar of boost and then in 2 months

get bigger injectors 550cc ? slap them on then do a tuning on a wideband 02 sensor and up the boost to 1.4 bar

taking into account that the car doesnt suffer from detonation what else do i need to look out for ??

Im sick of hearing ppl runnign 1.4 bar on stock internals and in my country 1 bar blows the engine ...

(is 1.4 bar feasible on stock with the right fuel ? and what bhp output would i see at the wheels ?)

Lastly when you guys talk about 1 bar or whatever do you talk about 1.4 bar just before the pressure enters the throttle body after the cooler or how much the turbo gives out which then suffers from inefficiencies
(i calculate it after the cooler)
thanks a lot guys sorry to drive you mad !!!! with my questions
180sx-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 12:06 AM   #2
P10DET
AF Enthusiast

Where are you from?

I know of at least two cars with turbocharged SR20DEs (not DETs) that have put down over 400 hp to the wheels on C16 race gas with stock internals.

So, the DET should be capable of a bit more with proper tuning. The key is proper tuning.

00 328i
91 SE-R (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and filled him with a great resolve"

-- Admiral Yamamoto, December 7, 1941
P10DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 02:32 AM   #3
AznVirus
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AznVirus
dont forget the Cobra MAF
Old 02-01-2002, 05:39 AM   #4
180sx-dude
AF Newbie

hey guys thanks for answering i wont forget the cobra maf
i pre-ordered it before i recieved my 180sx, i actually ran it on my civic v-tech once and got about 400bhp out of it ... so i figured it would be good for about 1000bhp on my nissan .

aaaaaaanyhow.... (no i never ownd a civic)

p10det..... i live in cyprus , its a tiny island of 500,000 ppl in the meditteranean , were classified as greece but we arent part of it.

Anyhow you said you know 2 cars with de that have been turboed, i would assume they ran race gas to avoid detonation, considering that the de has a higher compression ratio from the factory , it would be easier for me to reach a number near that bhp output with less risk.

As you said the key is proper tuning , could you please elaborate , i am aware i will need to have a good safe a/f ratio, a good level of boost, and set a good ignition timing.

is there anything else i need to know ? the main thing i am looking for is what level of boost is safe to run on stock internals no upgraded gasket, i cant find this number anywhere. ive seen pistons rods etc being sold with a rating of things like 2 bar 1.4 bar etc but i cant find this safety number for the stock internals...

thanks again guys
Old 02-03-2002, 04:18 PM   #5
G22DET
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to G22DET Send a message via AIM to G22DET
tuning IS key for HP. a guy I know has a Greddy T78 turbo kit in his car, with stock internals with fine tuning and got 330bhp.
anyway, before thinking about making more power and turning up the boost, make your DET run as smooth as it can first and go from there. Don't rush everything.

GDA Power!
G22DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 05:00 AM   #6
180sx-dude
AF Newbie

thanks for the tips , my car was running really well until the turbo started giving me grief , thats when i thought i would change the turbo and the cooler, thanks for telling me that 330 is possible on stock internals from first hand info, because you just cant tell nowadays ive heard too many stories of my friends friends friend runs 500 bhp nitrous on his civic....