Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Street/Track Racing Stories!
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Street/Track Racing Stories! Beat any Mustangs today? Tell everyone about what your Honda can do! (Keep it clean)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
Rampart Crawler
AF Enthusiast

Turbo H22a hatch owns another DSM...

Pretty sure the civic is running a H22a w/ junkyard turbo setup. I've seen his videos of him beating dsms on different sites. The mods for the dsm include...

"-bolt block, machined .020 over, decked, balanced internals, polished crank, 2g pistons fitted on machined 1g big rods, Balance shaft removal, Snky Camz, clevite 77 bearings, revised lifters, new valves, seats, springs, ARP\'s. Small 16g, 2g T-body elbow, hallman MBC, R&R racings 3 inch exhaust, Hybrid Connection o2 housing, Denzo 660\'s and zee 1g DSM link for manegment"

The dsm was running at around 18 psi and has a stripped down interior. It was a good race.

http://www2.wnydsm.com/members/hybri...HatchvsDSM.mpg
Old 04-30-2005, 01:20 PM   #2
97_3clipse
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 97_3clipse
looked like they both topped out at 75mph
neither looked to be pulling that hard.....

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
6 Bolt Swap \ DSMLink V2.5 \ ACT 2100 clutch \ PTE SCM 61 \ Forge MBC@28psi \ VPE O2 Housing \ MR Downpipe \ Thermal R&D Cat-Back \ Tial 38mm WG dumping off O2 \ FMIC w\ in short route \ AFPR setup/walbro 255hp \ PTE 880cc injectors \ Crower Ti retianers \ Crower Springs \ Crower 64414 (stage 3 race) cams \ Ferrea valves \ 3.5 bar MAP \ PLX M-300 Wideband
Old 05-02-2005, 01:43 AM   #3
dampachi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to dampachi Send a message via MSN to dampachi Send a message via Yahoo to dampachi
Re: Turbo H22a hatch owns another DSM...

those look like two REALLY slow cars. they don't even look like they're picking up any speed. :shrug:
Old 05-02-2005, 10:36 AM   #4
Gohan Ryu
AF Enthusiast

On the last run you can hear the tires break loose on the hatch when they go, so I guess there is a little acceleration going on...but I agree ^^^ on the video the cars appear to be moving slowly.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:37 PM   #5
Ace$nyper
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ace$nyper Send a message via MSN to Ace$nyper Send a message via Yahoo to Ace$nyper
Re: Re: Turbo H22a hatch owns another DSM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan Ryu
On the last run you can hear the tires break loose on the hatch when they go, so I guess there is a little acceleration going on...but I agree ^^^ on the video the cars appear to be moving slowly.
my jeep does chirps 10000X better then that so unless its fast...

wait probbly compared to those cars...
Old 05-04-2005, 01:02 PM   #6
Gohan Ryu
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Turbo H22a hatch owns another DSM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
my jeep does chirps 10000X better then that so unless its fast...

wait probbly compared to those cars...
Are you saying your Jeep can beat a turbo h22 hatch? What kinda mods you got?
Old 05-04-2005, 01:13 PM   #7
Ace$nyper
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ace$nyper Send a message via MSN to Ace$nyper Send a message via Yahoo to Ace$nyper
Re: Re: Re: Re: Turbo H22a hatch owns another DSM...

Quote:
Are you saying your Jeep can beat a turbo h22 hatch? What kinda mods you got?
I'm saying they don't look fast at all.

and whats in my jeep its enough to stomp any honda i've run into so far
Old 05-04-2005, 01:25 PM   #8
Gohan Ryu
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Turbo H22a hatch owns another DSM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
I'm saying they don't look fast at all.

and whats in my jeep its enough to stomp any honda i've run into so far
OK, let me reword that...

Just by guessing I'd say a turbo h22 hatch can do at worst a mid 13 second 1/4 mile...can your Jeep beat?

On another note after viewing this video again I don't think there's any turbo in that hatch, I doubt it's even an h22 - the exhaust sounds too stock to be a turbo anything, the mod list says he's got a 3 inch exhaust. You never even hear VTEC before he changes gears. There's no way that's an h22.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:51 PM   #9
CivicSpoon
There is no Spoon

It's definently turbo, you can hear it spool up at least once in the video, and it does sound like an h22a. If he's using a "junkyard turbo kit" then he could just have a small ass turbo like a T25 or something close to that. In that case, it wouldn't be all that much faster than just the stock engine. With such a small turbo on a big engine, he'd be making more torque than hp. And mid 13's is not the worst he could be doing, he could still be doing mid 14's if he isn't getting traction (I know this for a fact). Not all turbo setups are created equal.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:48 PM   #10
Gohan Ryu
AF Enthusiast

Well I don't own a turbo so I wouldn't really know, but I don't hear it...also, listen to the engine as he's changing gears, it's not revving to 7500 rpm- if it is an H22, he's shifting a 6k or something. H22s start SCREAMING when VTEC hits at 5k and continues to scream loudly up to redline - I just don't hear that happening here. This is just my opinion, but I know the sound of my H22 very well, and that don't sound like it.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #11
Ace$nyper
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Turbo H22a hatch owns another DSM...

Quote:
OK, let me reword that...

Just by guessing I'd say a turbo h22 hatch can do at worst a mid 13 second 1/4 mile...can your Jeep beat?

On another note after viewing this video again I don't think there's any turbo in that hatch, I doubt it's even an h22 - the exhaust sounds too stock to be a turbo anything, the mod list says he's got a 3 inch exhaust. You never even hear VTEC before he changes gears. There's no way that's an h22.
Neither of those cars could seem to past 60MPH. so I'll be cocky and say yea

It sounded turbo to me.

maybe it was a turbo b7 with a prelude sticker? If thats what h22s boosted do then thats sad or they just wern't stepping on it.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:01 PM   #12
CivicSpoon
There is no Spoon

I hear what you're saying. But if it was a small turbo, It'd peak power before it hit readline. My friend has a h22a turbo in his Civic, and he used to run a T25. You could never even hear vtec kick in, and he shifted around 6K (because that's right around where the turbo maxed out). But now that he's got a bigger turbo (t3/t4 turbonetics from Drag), you can hear the vtec a lot louder; the car sounds mean as hell now. I could only hear that guys turbo spool at the beginning of the second race (or at least I think it is the turbo). He could even just have a really quiet bov too, cause I didn't hear it once in the vid. But don't get me wrong, I'm not positive that this guy even has an h22 or turbo; I'm just saying it is possible.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:04 PM   #13
Ace$nyper
Banned

Re: Re: Turbo H22a hatch owns another DSM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicSpoon
I hear what you're saying. But if it was a small turbo, It'd peak power before it hit readline. My friend has a h22a turbo in his Civic, and he used to run a T25. You could never even hear vtec kick in, and he shifted around 6K (because that's right around where the turbo maxed out). But now that he's got a bigger turbo (t3/t4 turbonetics from Drag), you can hear the vtec a lot louder; the car sounds mean as hell now. I could only hear that guys turbo spool at the beginning of the second race (or at least I think it is the turbo). He could even just have a really quiet bov too, cause I didn't hear it once in the vid. But don't get me wrong, I'm not positive that this guy even has an h22 or turbo; I'm just saying it is possible.
but you think it would choke it that badly?

honestly that pull looked like the pull from an a6 not what i'd expect from a boosted lude.

I heard a bov once in the vid from the honda in car.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:45 PM   #14
CivicSpoon
There is no Spoon

Yeah it could definently choke that bad. My friends Civic only made 200whp, and he was running 16psi. And even though it had more hp and tq after the turbo, the power band was garbage and the car felt faster and like it had more pull when it was just the stock engine. Now with his new turbo, it's a night and day difference. Even now just him running 6psi untuned he keeps up with another friend's wrx (stage 2 turbo upgrade, front mount IC, and some upgraded engine management system); up until 4th but only lost by 2 cars. He never would have gotten even close with the old turbo. Also I should mention that the h22 has 9:1 compression, so that might be a factor and make my assumption incorrect.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:31 AM   #15
Shpyder
Moderate moderator

I wouldn't pick on any hatch or CRX myself no matter what I'm boosting, considering those cars weigh as much as boxes-o-cereal.

That video seemed...strange. A 1G DSM at 18 psi with a 16G turbo should have found a lot more power at the top end, I'm not sure if his fuel management was set right. The Honda didnt sound right either...exhaust tone was too stock to be turbo...? It was a kind of a wierd race though... too short and both cars really did seem slow. I wouldnt say the DSM got owned, because they both seemed so sluggish. Wouldnt' call that a good race IMO.

The daily driver. The weekend cruiser. The lazy shop hog.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Street/Track Racing Stories!