Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
guy_mu1
AF Newbie

Help in Estimates

Hi,

I had given my 01 Altima to local Firestone for check up as I was facing some problems regarding noise from front tires and they gave me a looong list.
It looks like they are charging little high. I would appreciate if anyone can tell me if they are quoting high.

Description
1. Tire ROD ENDS (Left Inner)
EV401 IN. TIE ROD END Parts $72.93
Remove and Replace F Tie ROD END INNER Labour $118.8

2. Alignment Service Labor $69.99

3. Half Shaft (Front Left)
BOOT RIPPED
60-6177 L REMN CV COMPL ASSY - Parts $122.85
Remove and Replace F AXLE SHAFT, LEFT OR BOTH - Labor $356.4

4. STANDARAD BRAKE JOB PADS
80% WORN
PD430 CERAMIC DISC BRAKE PADS Parts $69.99
BASIC BRAKE FRONT JOB - Labor $ 80
31057 BRAKE ROTOR Qty 2 - Parts $69.99
.CALIPER SLIDE SERVICE - Labor $49.5

5. STANDARAD BRAKE JOB REAR SHOES
80% WORN
PAB756 BRAKE SHOE SET 756 - Parts $59.99
BASIC BRAKE JOB REAR DRUM - Labor $ 80
.BRAKE HARDWARE KIT - Parts $36.2

6. WHEELS
BROKEN LEFT FRONT STUD
.LUG NUT/STUD Parts $10.99
.REMOVE AND REPLACE LUG NUT/SLUD Labor $ 49.5
(I know that the NUT is not that costly . I checked on Auto Zone/Murphy's Auto)
guy_mu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
methodmix
AF Regular

Re: Help in Estimates

I have no idea how to help you if you don't describe the noise.
methodmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
guy_mu1
AF Newbie

The noise is coming from front side. Can not tell which side. But apart from noise the car actually jumps as if one of the tire is not round but an oval shape. It continuously makes worn out kind of noise. It is quite prominenet (noise and lil jumps) when brake is applied.

I hope the analysis those mechanics have done will solve it but I find them little costly. Even they had suggested me $400 for Spark plug and wires change as my car has reached 100K.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
methodmix
AF Regular

When you say noise, are you talking about something that is continuous and gets louder as you go faster, or does the noise only occur when the brakes are applied? The "jumping" sensation you get when you are braking is from warped (i.e., unevenly worn) front disc rotors. If the noise sounds more like a howling or a groaning noise and continuously gets louder as you go faster, then that would most likely be a bad wheel bearing.

Considering 80% wear on both front and rear brakes, I would say it's time to consider a brake job and the estimate seems fair, although I've never heard of a "caliper slide service".

I see that you have a cracked CV boot (I had the same problem), so when most of the grease leaks out of the boot a common symptom is a clicking or cracking noise whenever you make a right or left turn at slow speeds (a U-turn would be really noticeable). But if you aren't hearing that specific noise, I would say that you could keep driving on that CV boot a little longer; a cracked CV is not a safety or performance issue unless most of the grease runs out. By the way, when I had my CV's replaced, the labor was only about $80 per half-shaft (total labor was $160 for both), and I have essentially the same car that you have ('00 Altima) so it sounds like they're trying to rip you off on that.

The tie rod ends don't need to be replaced unless you are experiencing excess play in your steering. An alignment probably isn't necessary unless you see uneven treadwear on your tires, or if you constantly have to overcompensate your steering to keep your vehicle moving in a straight line.

You definitely want to get that wheel stud replaced, but I'm actually surprised it broke in the first place. That's kind of scary!
Old 12-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
methodmix
AF Regular

By the way, if your tires do show uneven treadwear, that itself would be enough to create a louder than normal noise when traveling at highway speeds. If lowering your tire pressure to about 25 PSI (which by the way isn't a good idea when traveling a long distance) reduces the noise then this means that is the source of your noise.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
guy_mu1
AF Newbie

The noise does sound like a howling or a groaning noise and gets little loud as I increase speed.

Probably if I explain when did I start hearing the noise, you will get better idea.
I was on freeway on 70+ and I had to apply immediate brake as the car in front of me lost the control. I also lost the control a little and the left tire went to shoulder (I was on left lane). Immediately after that I was getting this noise. Initially I thought it is tire only. So did tire rotation. After that the jumps and noise was very less. You have to try to feel/hear it.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:13 AM   #7
methodmix
AF Regular

That sounds like you could have a bad front left bearing. Can you describe in detail what you mean by "jumps"? Does the jump occur under normal driving or only when you apply the brakes? Did you have the mechanic check your tires for proper balance prior to rotation?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima