Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 05:53 PM   #16
snsam
AF Newbie

Re: 93 Altima - Driving, Died, Won't Start Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayGo
You won't spend any money guessing at which part to buy if you follow the diagnostic steps in the repair manual. There is a fuel pump fuse in the fuse panel under the drivers side dash panel. The fuel pump fuse is the third from the top in the right hand row of fuses. If the fuse is blown, replace it and see if it blows again. Remove the fuel pump relay again and check for voltage to the relay. If you use a wire to connect the two slotts that are closest together where the relay plugs into the panel, power will be connected to the wire going to the fuel pump when the ignition switch is turned to the run position. If you still can't hear the pump or see any fuel pumping from an open fuel line, take the back seat out so you can check for power to the fuel pump connector plug. If you have power at the connector and your pump isn't pumping, Haynes Repair Manual for 1993 Altimas says replace your fuel pump. AutoZone and other parts supply stores should have a fuel pump made by Walbro that is better than and costs less than a Nissan fuel pump. Clean the oil out of your distributor and put the cap back on. Oil in the distributor will not cause the fuel pump not to pump. Finding oil inside of Altima distributors is almost as common as finding oil on a shelf wherever auto parts are sold! I have never noticed hearing my fuel pump run. I know that when I hear a fuel pump in GM and Ford vehicles it is time to replace it. I suspect the same is true of our Nissans.
I have the same manual and the fuel pump fuse is good. The next thing I checked was voltage to the pump and there is. I will clean the distributor , put it back together and see if it will start. If it does, should I replace the Distributor? And if it doesn't start, I will pull the fuel line, see if it is pumping fuel and if it isn't I will replace the pump, right?
snsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:28 PM   #17
JustSayGo
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to JustSayGo Send a message via Skype™ to JustSayGo

No don't replace the distributor. Fix what you know is wrong first. It would be extreeeeeeemly unlikely that you have two problems that are preventing your engine from running. If you followed the trouble shooting proccess up to checking for and found voltage at the harness connector, what stopped you from proceeding to the next step which is replace the fuel pump??

You say you have spark.

The cam position sensor inside the distributor is where that spark begins.

The fuel injectors work from the very same CPS signal.

Engines with bad distributors do not make spark or open fuel injectors.

The fuel pump is a totally separate system that is not effected by any amount of oil in the distributor.

Last edited by JustSayGo; 09-29-2006 at 11:56 PM.
JustSayGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:40 AM   #18
snsam
AF Newbie

Quote:
what stopped you from proceeding to the next step which is replace the fuel pump??
Actually, I was following the trouble shooting in the manual and also checking on this site at the same time. My delays came from seeing all about the oil in the Distributors on these things. I have always worked on GM cars and have never heard of oil in the distributor and it had me puzzled. This is my daughters car and I don't want to spend and my daughter doesn't have the money to just randomly replace parts on this car so I am trying to be as precise on this as possible, if you can understand why. I really do appreciate the help.

Clean Distributor first, check for fuel next. If car starts after cleaning distributor, replace distributor, if not check pump, possiblly replace.

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:49 PM   #19
JustSayGo
AF Enthusiast

You are welcome and I am happy to help. Seems to me that we are thinking from opposite directions with the same goals in mind. Are you either left handed or an engineer? lol. If any of us were able to afford to guess and buy parts, Im pretty sure we would be driving something other than an Altima!

Engines need fuel supplied to the injectors first in order to start. Once there is fuel, the distributor is where spark to the sparkplugs and pulses to open injectors begins.

If you replace your fuel pump and it delivers fuel to the injectors and your engine starts, you should drive the car and then I will explain to you what I know about distributors and why oil leaks into them.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:54 PM   #20
JustSayGo
AF Enthusiast

Check this pump if you want to save money and have a pump that lasts longer than Nissan replacement.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=290030678563
Old 10-03-2006, 09:22 PM   #21
FixUrNissan
AF Regular

How did we go from finding oil in the distributor, to fuel pump? Oil in the Distributor on early Model Altima is a Common failure for No Start conditions. Did you clean the Distributor and put it back together and try to start it? don't worry about the O-Rings at this moment, Just clean it with some air and put it back together and see what happens. If nothing we can go back on the fuel pump theory. But fuel pump on altima's almost never go!! Distributors should not have oil in them , If spark is to be conducted , and it has a cap on it to contain it and protect it , Why is oil common like on a parts store shelf? If it was normal , then spark would be drown all the time , makes no sense
Old 10-04-2006, 12:26 AM   #22
snsam
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixUrNissan
How did we go from finding oil in the distributor, to fuel pump? Oil in the Distributor on early Model Altima is a Common failure for No Start conditions. Did you clean the Distributor and put it back together and try to start it? don't worry about the O-Rings at this moment, Just clean it with some air and put it back together and see what happens. If nothing we can go back on the fuel pump theory. But fuel pump on altima's almost never go!! Distributors should not have oil in them , If spark is to be conducted , and it has a cap on it to contain it and protect it , Why is oil common like on a parts store shelf? If it was normal , then spark would be drown all the time , makes no sense
I have not cleaned it yet. I have been busy with other stuff. I will try to clean it tomorrow and see if it starts. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:23 AM   #23
snsam
AF Newbie

That makes more sense than you know. Over the years, especially when I was much younger, 30-40 years ago... I wasted lots and lots of time and especially money on guessing and trial and error. What a waste.

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:11 PM   #24
snsam
AF Newbie

Ok, I really appreciate all of the help so far but I got to the point today that something is either wrong with your disgnosis or my troubleshooting.

It seems that when I tested for spark at the plug, the "friend" that I had at the engine end who said he saw spark actually DID NOT. Today I started all over doing the entire troubleshooting myself. I rechecked to see if my "friend" actually saw a sperk at the plug. I hooked up my remote started and turned the engine over and sure enough, there is not spark at all.

I cleaned the distributor and evidently didn't get it clean enough. I can't get it to start at all.

I am pretty sure that I need to replace the Distributor. With what information I have so far, is this what it looks like to any of you guys?

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:00 PM   #25
JustSayGo
AF Enthusiast

Or is there something wrong with the information you reported. Yes that is why the very first question I asked you was, do you have spark? If you read frrom the beginning I wrote again and again, "if you have spark". If you don't have spark the problem is no doubt the distributor. So do you also have fuel pressure? It is easy for you to find out. Open a line and turn the key. Yes buy a new distributor! Did you have the ignition swithch turned on when you checked for spark today?
Old 10-06-2006, 09:29 PM   #26
snsam
AF Newbie

Quote:
Or is there something wrong with the information you reported. Yes that is why the very first question I asked you was, do you have spark? If you read frrom the beginning I wrote again and again, "if you have spark". If you don't have spark the problem is no doubt the distributor. So do you also have fuel pressure? It is easy for you to find out. Open a line and turn the key. Yes buy a new distributor! Did you have the ignition swithch turned on when you checked for spark today?
Well, you and others also asked if I had spark and like I said before, I turned the key over and a "friend" checked for spark and said it had spark. I can't be anymore clear. Why do you ask <<Or is there something wrong with the information you reported.>> ? The only thing wrong with my reported info is that I was told that I had spark by an idiot who gave me the wrong info. If you want something done correctly, you have to do it yourself.

So, I also pulled the fuel line from just past the fuel filter, engine side, and have fuel pressure. And yes, I read, again and again and again and again where you wrote, "if you have spark". I turned the engine over to check for spark, so, yes, I had the key turned on. How else would one check for spark.

So, from what I am getting from all of this is that Nissian installs a crappy Distributor and like a group of real idiots, they put it in on it's side. How stupid can you get, So, I will install a NEW Distributor. Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:28 PM   #27
FixUrNissan
AF Regular

you were going to need a new distributor anyway , if you found oil in it, witch you did. Yes a Distributor should fix it
Old 10-08-2006, 08:29 PM   #28
snsam
AF Newbie

Thanks. Now If I can replace the Distributor, get it running and finally get rid of it once and for all. I am learning more than I wanted to know about Datsuns.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:19 PM   #29
FixUrNissan
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snsam
Thanks. Now If I can replace the Distributor, get it running and finally get rid of it once and for all. I am learning more than I wanted to know about Datsuns.

You mean Nissan's..
Old 11-12-2006, 10:08 PM   #30
snsam
AF Newbie

Well, Nissian Datsun. Same to me.

Unfortunately it is the distributor. I bought a new distributor, got things ready to remove the old one and replace it when I was in the process of making the marks on the old distributor so I could put the new one in correctly. I needed to turn the crank pulley bolt a little to bump the rotor over to line it up to mark. When I turned the pulley bolt I noticed that the rotor did not move at all. I immediately thought that there was more to this problem than the distributor alone. But, I went ahead and removed the distributor anyway, thinking that maybe the shaft on it was broken or something like that causing it not to turn. I put in the new distributor and it wouldn't turn the rotor either. So, needless to say, I pulled out the new distributor and put the old one back in.

Even though it needs a distributor, I don't think it will be worth the cost if there are internal engine problems that need fixing.

My plan now is to put everything back like it was and junk the car. How do I go about checking to see if it is the crank, cam, timing chain or whatever? I know now that it is more than the distributor.

Any more thoughts?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima