Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Videos
Car Videos Got a crazy video to share?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 09:45 PM   #31
xixtony
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to xixtony Send a message via Yahoo to xixtony
if an import had the same ammount of hp as a domestic i think that the import will still win ive seen a 160 hp b16 crx spank a 280 hp mustang Gt and my friend has a 93 civic hatch with a jdm gsr thats like 170 to the wheels he beat a 2001 mustang cobra and dont say im bs cuse ive seen both of these races
xixtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 02:50 AM   #32
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Re: 600+awhp EVO vs 667rwhp Cobra vs 300 shot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixtony
if an import had the same ammount of hp as a domestic i think that the import will still win ive seen a 160 hp b16 crx spank a 280 hp mustang Gt and my friend has a 93 civic hatch with a jdm gsr thats like 170 to the wheels he beat a 2001 mustang cobra and dont say im bs cuse ive seen both of these races
So a honda civic with 750 hp could take a Saleen S7 Twin Turbo?

The new S7 Twin Turbo can accelerate from 100 mph to 150 mph in 5.7 seconds (per Road & Track).
Jaguar D-Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:33 PM   #33
nastyNater
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to nastyNater

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757
and how much did you spend on all that crap?
dam you.....yes i know it was a waste of $$$$$

bet you couldnt find a used GT(newer model...not '05) for less than i got my rice.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:37 PM   #34
nastyNater
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixtony
wow ..... taking down the SVT with an all-motor GSR? thats insane.

I call BS.

the B16A swap in a CRX has the potential to take out a GT if the following are true.
1) He has EVERY bolt-on in the book. (waste of $$), or is running FI.
2) If he races from the roll then the Mustang loses its valued RWD launch.

But a SVT cobra taken down by a N/A 4????? youve got to be kiddin'
Old 09-15-2005, 04:11 PM   #35
karkrazy1
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Re: 600+awhp EVO vs 667rwhp Cobra vs 300 shot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by crrrazy
Camaro My Favorit Kind Of Car

crrrazy, I thought the Mustang was your favorite kind of car!
karkrazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 07:36 PM   #36
flip888
AF Regular

Re: Re: 600+awhp EVO vs 667rwhp Cobra vs 300 shot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyNater
wow ..... taking down the SVT with an all-motor GSR? thats insane.

I call BS.

the B16A swap in a CRX has the potential to take out a GT if the following are true.
1) He has EVERY bolt-on in the book. (waste of $$), or is running FI.
2) If he races from the roll then the Mustang loses its valued RWD launch.

But a SVT cobra taken down by a N/A 4????? youve got to be kiddin'

even if it was a race from a roll imo the only way the crx would win is if the cobra sucks ass at driving.
My friends 01 cobra dinoed at 381 whp and he ran a the 1/4 in 12.8 his first run. that was stock too, with about $1000 into his engine he was in the 11's

edit*its actualy a 03 cobra

Last edited by flip888; 09-16-2005 at 11:08 PM.
flip888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 01:41 AM   #37
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Here's my un-filtered soapbox post for this month:

When will people learn that the name on an engine doesn't matter? They all have their strong points and their weak points, but power is a function of how much air an engine sucks in and how much heat it can convert to torque. Period. Its not a USA thing or an Import thing... its just a volumetric efficiency thing. Sure you can make a b18 with 1000 hp, but how long will it last on toothpick rods and a tiny-journaled cast crank? Sure you can build reliable 700 hp American V8s, but they'll never last as long as 150-hp import I-4s. Everything is a trade off. As new technology becomes available its the ones who are willing to pay for it that will benefit from it.

Some day we'll have 700-hp engines that last for 300k miles. Until then we'll have import lovers who think that "horsepower per liter" is the ultimate and we'll have V8 lovers who think "torque is king". The bottom line is that it all depends on what you go for. My big thing is diesels. Here's a recipe; 6 cylinders, 800 hp, 1200 lb-ft, 4000-rpm redline, 26 mpg. Stick that in your truck and smoke it.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:32 PM   #38
nastyNater
AF Enthusiast

what kind of engine is that??? a semi's?
Old 09-17-2005, 04:17 PM   #39
curtis73

No, a 5.9 cummins in a 94 Ram. Pick up the latest issue of Dieselpower magazine page 20. 817 hp, and after double checking; 1514 lb-ft AT THE WHEELS, and you can drive it every day.

Diesels don't respond to mods the way gas engines do. Since gas engines are throttled and diesels are not, you're not changing the airflow or base VE of the diesel by modding it. at idle and part throttle, you've changed nothing about the operation of the engine. It makes for a nearly transparent alteration. Its fun to see a 5600-lb truck pull 10s in the 1/4.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:48 PM   #40
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Boost is the only substitute for cubic inches.

Hence why you will NEVER see a NA 4 banger whoop on a NA V8. Unless it is some seriously mismatched race or the driver blows it.
Not true...

What if the V8 is small and a very large 4 thats bored out to the max then what. Or a caterham thats n/a an it will rip a camaro to shreds... 0-60 3.2...
" ~ Igor
jcsaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:29 PM   #41
Elk
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
Sure you can build reliable 700 hp American V8s, but they'll never last as long as 150-hp import I-4s.
I don’t see why this engine wouldn’t last 200,000 miles.
Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 03:17 PM   #42
curtis73

Nah. I'd give it 80-100k, but not 200k. Despite the improvements to its design over the years, its still based on mostly 1967 technology and design. With forged pistons I'd be worried about oil life for how most people will use it; the sunday drive or a short trip. Change it every 2500 and it will always be fine. No matter how you slice it, the power is resting on five main bearings; no more than an I-4. The same number of bearings take 4 times the beating of an import I-4 and just don't hold their tolerances quite as well over time. Plus, imports take advantage of little engineering things that make the little annoying things not happen; like exhaust leaks, oil leaks, and vacuum leaks. I have 96 LT1 with 92,000 on a factory assembly and its already leaking tons of oil, the exhaust manifold is cracked, and I've already repaired one vacuum leak. Internally they hold up very well, but the lack of care that goes into slapping them together is what often makes them fail. Even with impeccable assembly, the engineering behind them isn't what it should be.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:31 PM   #43
Tunafish
AF Newbie

Quote:
Boost is the only substitute for cubic inches.

Hence why you will NEVER see a NA 4 banger whoop on a NA V8. Unless it is some seriously mismatched race or the driver blows it.
wrong , wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong . TECHNOLOGY is the replacement for displacement!!

What makes you think your second comment true

It just shows that Japanese cars don't need 7.0 liters to make 500 horsepower! Becuase Japanese cars have something called technology, the engines are better engineered , better built, and are FAR more realiable, whether you like it or not.

Someone was saying "so your saying a 700 horsepower civic could beat a 700 horsepower Saleen S7", well.... I'm not at all a fan of Civic's i don't like them, but don't write that coment trying to be funny, because i'm not jokeing when i say that actually the civic could probably beat the Saleen from say 100-until whenever the civic topped out which with that much power it could be over 150, but the key to a Civic with that much horsepower that is so fast is something called wieght. You see, Civic's are very light, but a big, fat supercar like the Saleen S7 are heavy.
Tunafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:58 AM   #44
Elk
AF Regular

Unhappy

Quote:
Nah. I'd give it 80-100k, but not 200k. Despite the improvements to its design over the years, its still based on mostly 1967 technology and design.
Other then the replacing rotor and distributer what would need to be done to it, for it to make it 200,000 miles? Pushrod engines are inherently more reliable then the OHC engines the imports use. A 9.3 liter V8 making 720 HP isn’t working as hard as a 1.8 liter I4 making 150 HP plus the V8 would spend most of it’s time running at much lower RPMs. Reliability improving thing like better machining, computer aided design, the quality and types of metals used and gasket material have been applied to this engine.

Quote:
The same number of bearings take 4 times the beating of an import I-4 and just don't hold their tolerances quite as well over time.
This doesn’t make any sense. The only way it would is if the V8 was using the same bearings as the I4. The number of bearings per HP doesn’t matter. The new Civic Si’s engine is putting 3 times strain on the same number bearings as the Civic, Honda made in 80's and it doesn’t make it any less reliable.

Quote:
Plus, imports take advantage of little engineering things that make the little annoying things not happen; like exhaust leaks, oil leaks, and vacuum leaks.
Good machining and not using cork or paper gaskets is how to prevent oil leaks, good hoses and clamps is how prevent vacuum leaks. And as far as the exhaust what difference is there between the way the exhaust manifold is bolted to a Honda I4 and GM V8? The import engine wouldn’t have any engineering advantage over the V8 because stopping leaks is basic stuff.

Quote:
I have 96 LT1 with 92,000 on a factory assembly and its already leaking tons of oil, the exhaust manifold is cracked, and I've already repaired one vacuum leak.
So your exhaust manifold just cracked, I find this hard to believe, my experience is that the exhaust has to hit some thing, and hit it very hard for the manifold to crack. How much is tons of oil, a quart every 10? 50? 100? 500? 1000?..........3000? miles.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:20 AM   #45
Elk
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunafish
It just shows that Japanese cars don't need 7.0 liters to make 500 horsepower!
The 7.0 liter ZO6 Corvette makes 505 HP get 26 MPGs and weighs 3152 lbs STOCK.

Where is Honda 505 HP 3152 lbs 26 MPG getting sports car? Oh that right they don’t make one.

Of course you live in import land where things like cost, practicality and actual performance don’t matter, no in your word it’s all about HP per liter.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Videos