Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 07:10 AM   #31
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Generally people who are looking for something to buy in this segment are the common herds who need realiable, functional, high-quality unassuming automobiles. The Camry has reigned in this spot for quite some time now with the 'best selling car of the year' title year after year, with recent models of the Accord close on its flanks.

The Maxima has always sold well but seemed a bit askew on this 'common car' scale, not being available in 4-cylinders and having one lower, and two upper parallel trimlines (GLE and SE), as opposed to the Camry and Accord's very linear model range. An Altima available in I-4 and V-6 with the larger XVL chassis platform would be an obvious choice to replace the Maxima's role on battling the Camry and Accord (what happens to the Max, who knows). But no automaker can easily jump into this area and expect to monopolize against names like these, so Nissan has taken a different appeal, using performance to get people's attention. Both the 4-cyl QR25DE and 6-cyl VQ35DE motors are pretty vicious, and that's the angle going for Nissan's mid-size segment at the moment (actually, nearly all their cars are getting a major kick in the ass). Of course, without the high quality control, the V-6 Altimas get clunky shifting, noticeable torque steer, cheaper interior plastics and other flaws not usually associated with a Camry-like car. But that's the trade-off, and at this point it's up to the buyer to decide. Just check out their ad theme for the Altimas: "cure for the common car".

As for me, I openly accept brute power any day.
Morpheus XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 12:44 PM   #32
98AltimaSE
AF Newbie

2002 Altima

I was looking to trade up my 98 for a 02 3.5 V6. I went down to the dealer last week, took one for a test drive(manual tranny of course) and I was blown away. That thing has balls! I dont think the interior is that bad. And some of the color schemes dont match the clear tails. But I must say it's a great car. I still have to go look into the new Camry's and Accord's but I'm thinking the 02 Altima is where it's at.
98AltimaSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 04:41 AM   #33
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Yeah seriously, the V-6 pushes the Altima just as fast as many sports cars out there today. How does it take the curves?
Old 11-23-2001, 02:23 PM   #34
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
0-60 in 6.3 seconds is pretty good. Apparently the steering is kinda bad, very little feedback. And I love feedback. What do you think?
Old 11-23-2001, 05:27 PM   #35
98AltimaSE
AF Newbie

I didnt think the steering is that bad. and it handled a lil better than my 98. But the Nissan dealer in town just got in 3 SE-R Specs so I'm gonna check them out too. I'm not liking the Camry and I'm not real high on Hondas so the Accord is out.
98AltimaSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 10:23 AM   #36
MaxRX7
AF Enthusiast

Old 12-13-2001, 10:38 PM   #37
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by MaxRX7
?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD