Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 11:50 AM   #1
Heather8789
AF Newbie

Heat problem with Altima

We just purchased a 2002 Nissan Altima, and with the cold weather here, we have noticed that there is a problem with the heat. When the engine is running, the heat is fine, however, when the engine is at idle, the fan slowly starts to blow cooler air (eventhough the heat setting is set as hot as it can go).

I returned it to Nissan for servicing (3times) and they cannot figure out what the problem is. The last time I brought my car in for servicing (for same heat problem), the Nissan dealership lent me a 2003 Altima, and with this car, I experienced the same problem with the heat (i.e. no heat when car was at idle)

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Thank you

Last edited by Heather8789; 02-11-2004 at 02:04 PM.
Heather8789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 08:20 PM   #2
paparay
AF Newbie

Re: Heat problem with Altima

I have owned three Nissans. Sentra, Stanza and Altima. All three of them did not heat good at all, but it was at any speed or switch position.

In the winter, I put cardboard in front of radiator and have at one point disconnected one of the fans.

All three would run in the summer with air conditioner on in 103 degree weather, stop and go and never over heat.
paparay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 09:04 PM   #3
SKR1021
AF Newbie

I also have a 2002 Altima and just recently started having the same problem. This will be the second winter I’ve gone through with this car and never had trouble with it until last fall. Now, not only does it blow cold air when at a stop light or idling, I also have to drive with my defroster on or the windows fog up. I took the car to the dealer a couple months ago, and the service manager in so many words told me I was crazy. I called Nissan’s Customer Service (1-800-Nissan-1) and was told they’ve never before had this complaint about the heat. I have a friend with the same car and she’s never had trouble. Anyway, I have an appointment next week with another dealer’s service department…hopefully they know something.
SKR1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 05:48 PM   #4
SKR1021
AF Newbie

I took my car into the other dealer's service department today and was told that this its blowing cold air while idling is actually a common problem. Seems the seal on the radiator cap had expanded, and it was not holding the pressure causing it to leak coolant. They replaced the cap, and topped off the coolant and sure enough it works fine now. It also seems to have stopped the fogging trouble...for now.

This didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but a friend who's a car guru said it made perfect sense to him. As long as it works, I'm happy.
SKR1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 09:13 AM   #5
vbgod13
AF Newbie

Unhappy Radiator cap didn't fix my problem

I've had the same problem for a year & I tried replacing my radiator cap & it didn't help - anybody else got any other ideas???
vbgod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 09:10 AM   #6
kuvasz101
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to kuvasz101
At idle the the water pump is not moving the water very fast and the heater core is cooling too quickly. You can turn the idle up a little bit (only a few hundred rpms) or put the air intake on recycle. PS first things first, make sure the radiator is full. A cool heater core often indicates a radiator low on coolant.
kuvasz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 05:22 PM   #7
Baggygal
AF Newbie

I had the same problem with my 2002, the coolant, when it is low, it would cause the heater not to heat unless I drove it for a long period of time. I have other issues with this car, but I did experience this coolant problem going down when it isn't suspose to be changed until 60,000-100,000 miles
Baggygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 03:59 PM   #8
DMrFrost
AF Newbie

My Altima does the same thing. Once I run it for a while and the engine heats up sufficiantly the heater will pump heat in even while ideling. Cold engines dont pump hot air.
DMrFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:11 PM   #9
cjones7304
AF Newbie

I worked at a Nissan dealer for 18 months and we'd get a lot of these in. The cold heat at idle is accompanied by a sloshing noise from behind the dash - you've got an air pocket in the heater core. What we used to do was lift the front end of the car about 3 feet off the ground using the hoist and take the rad cap off. Then we'd run the engine at a fast idle (jam a screwdiver against the throttle stop to hold it fast or put a slight weight on the pedal if it's Electronic Throttle Body. Run the heater on full heat and the engine like this. You'll see the rad 'burping' as the air in the cooling system travelling to the highest point it can - the open rad cap. Top up with a 50/50 mix of coolant and water as you go. When it burps no more, you have a full cooling system and should not suffer any more "cold heat".

If you do this yourself, PLEASE use jack stands, block the back wheels and put the parking brake on!!!
cjones7304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:02 PM   #10
cbalkarran
AF Newbie

I have an 02 altima and is now experiencing the same no heat when idle problem, i had a pressure test done so i know it not leaking any fluid and i still have no idea where the fliud from the radiator is going. and now i am beginning to smell the fluid in the car when i trun on the heat but only for a few mnutes and then it stops. Do any one esle have this problem with the fluid smelling and any suggestions would be appreciated.

chris
cbalkarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:14 PM   #11
eastwood
AF Newbie

sounds like aie in cooling system// upper tank on rad possibly leaking // under upper rad hose area // if leaking replace rad and bleed system/it is important to have mixture 50 coolant 50 water
eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:52 PM   #12
InnerDragon103
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to InnerDragon103

if you're smelling the fluid, then you definitely have a leak, make sure the engine's cold and check around the cap and both the top and bottom of the radiator for flourescent green fluid, if you see it, then the radiator, or the hoses are leaking.. my radiator had a huge leak on the top seam by the cap, and i pulled out the old radiator and put a new one in, and refilled it with 50/50 coolant/water mix, now its fine. OH YEA, if you have to replace your radiator, you MUST also replace the cap when you do. look at it this way, if this doesnt fix your heater problem, at least it will quit the leaking, hehe.

Current mods:
Short Ram Intake
Tint
8500K headlights
New sound system, 2 12" subs (600W)
InnerDragon103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 03:35 PM   #13
whoop
AF Newbie

[quote=Heather8789]We just purchased a 2002 Nissan Altima, and with the cold weather here, we have noticed that there is a problem with the heat. When the engine is running, the heat is fine, however, when the engine is at idle, the fan slowly starts to blow cooler air (eventhough the heat setting is set as hot as it can go).

I returned it to Nissan for servicing (3times) and they cannot figure out what the problem is. The last time I brought my car in for servicing (for same heat problem), the Nissan dealership lent me a 2003 Altima, and with this car, I experienced the same problem with the heat (i.e. no heat when car was at idle)

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Thank you[/quote=whoop]I have the same problem with my son's Altima. I've read the other messages on here and going to try to fix the problem. If I can fix the problem I will let you know.
whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:25 AM   #14
saf3
AF Newbie

I bought my 2002 altima brand new and the heat never worked when idling. I can never defrost my windshield. I have to drive 60 mph, or 2000 rpm before it will work. I have brought it to the dealer at least 15 times and it will work for a few weeks and then stop again. They said I need to replace the head gasket AND they say it is not covered by warranty, even though I have had the problem since I bought the car. I commute to work 20 miles each way with a blanket on my lap. It is ridiculous! I will never buy another Nissan!!!!!!!
saf3 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima