Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 09:00 AM   #1
tanman328
AF Newbie

Newbie - Detail Painting

First off, I'm incredible impressed with all the talent on this forum. The models I've veiwed are just fantastic.

As a newbie to the car modeling world, I would like to get more advice on detailing. In particular, the use of brushes to paint small areas on the vehicle such as the interior. I am still having a great deal of trouble of painting within the lines. How do you guys do it so incredibly clean? Do you mask everything (even the smallest details) and brush paint? Do you primarily airbrush everything?

Secondly, I've been using tamiya acrylic paints when brush painting, and having trouble getting the paint pigment to stick. The end result is me always ending up putting too much paint on the part and looking unnatural and ugly.

Do you modeling wizzes have any advice?
tanman328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 09:53 AM   #2
egon_dude
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to egon_dude
For detail painting, the first thing i would recommend is to use Humbrol or Testors Enamels rather than tamiya acrilics- they take longer to dry and they adhere better to the plastic so they dont pull off as easily when you brush over them. It will make your painting look a lot cleaner.
Secondly, the brushes you use are key. I use Daler-Rowney Dalon brushes, which are artificial sable-hair artists brushes. I use a size 1 and a 00, plus a "rigger" brush, which is a very fine brush with 1-inch long hairs. I use this to the black lines round windows, as the long hairs damp out the wobblyness of your hand and you can paint staright lines pretty easy. You can get these brushes from any decent art shop, and are much better than the cheap rubbish you get in most model shops, but not much more expensive (about £2.50 each).
Thirdly, PATIENCE! If the part doesnt look right at first, wash the paint off with some thinners, let it dry and have another go. Keep practicing, and you will get better at it, trust me!

good luck!
egon_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 11:08 AM   #3
MrHappy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to MrHappy

Get your self a good brush and practice.
Also look after your brush.. Clean thoroughly after every use and bring to a point between your fingers... Always store it away with the end cover tube on (if it came with one).
It should last you a long time if you do.
I also find thinner paint flows better from the brush even if I have to apply a few coats it always looks cleaner.

Have fun..
MrHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 02:27 AM   #4
Sennake
AF Enthusiast

[list=1][*]Always use good quality brushes. Rather buy 2 expensive ones than 5 or 6 cheap ones. I always use "real marten hair" brushes.[*]When you try to paint straith lines and you have a "wobbely" part, you can also correct the wobbely part with a toothpick. Drench it in some white spirit or thinner and correct the excessive paint. That is a lot easier than making corrections with a brush.[*]Once finished, make sure to thouroughly clean your brushes. This means cleaning and wiping several times. Usually I clean my brush 4 to 5 times. After cleaning another small trick : put some spit on your fingers and go between your wet fingers with the brush before putting it in its protective tube again. that will keep its shape a lot longer.[/list=1]

And of course : practice, practice and practice! I am starting to be able to paint some straith lines now, but I have been modeling since I was 9 years old and I'm 42 now...

* WWW.SENNAKE.BE *
Sennake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:03 AM   #5
shieldwulf
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by egon_dude
... I use Daler-Rowney Dalon brushes, which are artificial sable-hair artists brushes... good luck!
I used to think that Tamiya tools, paints and brushes are the best of the best. I was wrong. When I tried a C10 Daler-Rowney CRYLA brush, it knocked the socks off all my collection of fine-tip brushes (I have the complete set of Tamiya HF set of brushes). I used the Daler-Rowney brush in Tamiya Acrylics and Enamels and washed it using Tamiya Acrylic & Enamel Thinners, and even normal hardware store Lacquer thinners. All in all, this brush manages to retain its fine pointed tip even when dried. I found the Tamiya brushes to "open up" quite a bit after first use. Worse, some hairs of the Tamiya's can go "berserk", and I will need to trim them off.
shieldwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:23 AM   #6
tanman328
AF Newbie

Can you get Daler-Rowney CRYLA brushes in Singapore? Given that I'm in Malaysia could you recommend some of your fav. hobby stores in Sin. I'm having trouble just finding enamals in Malaysia.
tanman328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 01:07 PM   #7
shieldwulf
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by tanman328
Can you get Daler-Rowney CRYLA brushes in Singapore? Given that I'm in Malaysia could you recommend some of your fav. hobby stores in Sin. I'm having trouble just finding enamals in Malaysia.
Hi,

I got my Daler-Rowney CRYLA brush from Art Friend at Bras Basah Complex. Should be at level 3 I think. However, Art Friend also has other branches in Singapore but I cannot recall.

Art Friend at Bras Basah carry a wide range of artist products like enamels, acrylics, airbrushes, styrofoams, art raw materials etc. Except that they don't carry any scale modelling hobby brands and products. Don't expect to find Gunze or Tamiya products there.

Daler-Rowney website
shieldwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 01:26 PM   #8
Harlock
AF Regular

Brushes are key. I have always been told, also, that when storing your brushes make sure you do it bristles up.
Harlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 01:46 AM   #9
rx7king
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rx7king
do any of you mask your parts for your hand brushing?
rx7king is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling