Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Express | G Van
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
Justardnck
AF Regular

1999 Chevy Express brake questions

I have a 1999 1500 Chevy Express lowtop conversion van with the stock wheel and tires. When I apply the brakes I get a ghost pull to the right and the right outer pad wears out in 3000 miles, basically it starts to pull and stops pulling shortly after. I have replaced the following items:
1) rotors (discount auto)
2) pads (discount auto)
3) Left and right calipers (discount auto)
The problem still existed so now I went back in and replaced the the rubber brake hoses (Napa) and the problem is still there. What could be causeing this? It can't be the master cyl cause that just deals with front and rear not left and right. I am out of options, can anyone offer some advise
Justardnck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
fxrider@sc.rr.com
AF Newbie

Re: 1999 Chevy Express brake questions

I don't know if it is the cause but I suspect the problem might lie with the variable steering. I have the same problem with our van.
fxrider@sc.rr.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:30 PM   #3
Bob1942
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justardnck
I have a 1999 1500 Chevy Express lowtop conversion van with the stock wheel and tires. When I apply the brakes I get a ghost pull to the right and the right outer pad wears out in 3000 miles, basically it starts to pull and stops pulling shortly after. I have replaced the following items:
1) rotors (discount auto)
2) pads (discount auto)
3) Left and right calipers (discount auto)
The problem still existed so now I went back in and replaced the the rubber brake hoses (Napa) and the problem is still there. What could be causeing this? It can't be the master cyl cause that just deals with front and rear not left and right. I am out of options, can anyone offer some advise

I had a similar problem with the LEFT front wheel ... I replaced everything including the hose and caliper and it still pulled to the left when I put on the brakes ... I took it apart again ! and cleaned up all SLIDING SURFACES on the caliper AND on the CALIPER MOUNT on the steering Knuckle I cleaned them with emery paper some scraping with a pocket knife and took some big rusty lumps off the flat sliding surfaces with a fine flat file ... Then I put on a thin coat of special brake grease (Autozone $1.19 for a packet ) to keep them from rusting ... I applied the grease also to the mounting bolts where they slide into the caliper ...My brakes work fine now no pulling and no abnormal pad wear... Equal wear on the pads is maintained by the whole caliper itself sliding on the mounting surface...So to have equal pad wear and equal braking you must have free smooth sliding of the caliper in its mounting AND free smooth operation of the caliper cylinder ... Love my Chevy VAn ! Bob in Michigan
Bob1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:07 AM   #4
fxrider@sc.rr.com
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info, will get to work
fxrider@sc.rr.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:28 PM   #5
KimcoCorp
AF Newbie

check tires....