Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 08:56 PM   #1
cannon73
AF Newbie

Larger tires for my 2002 Ram

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 standard cab short bed. What is the largest 17 inch tire I can fit on this at it stock height? I am currently running 265/70/17 with painted steel wheels. Also If I switch to 16 inch wheels what would the largest 16 in. tire I could run. I ask this because I have 16 inch aluminum wheels from an '01 Ram that I am considering putting on if the price of the tires are alot different.
cannon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:11 PM   #2
cannon73
AF Newbie

Never mind about the 16 inch tires, the wheels won't fit because the rotors and calipers are too big. But still, doesn't anybody know the largest size 17 in. tire I can fit on this. Doesn't the moderator know the answer? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
cannon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 10:59 AM   #3
gentlemanjak
AF Newbie

Re: Larger tires for my 2002 Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon73
Never mind about the 16 inch tires, the wheels won't fit because the rotors and calipers are too big. But still, doesn't anybody know the largest size 17 in. tire I can fit on this. Doesn't the moderator know the answer? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
You should definately stay with your 17" rims if your looking for the cheapest option, these days the Rams get upgraded to 22" or 24" tires. If you want to see what size options are available and even find a formula to work out the current height of your tires so you can replace them with an equal rolling diameter so as to keep your speedometer reading correctly. Try going to www.tyretown.com and look under tyre info to find the formula for tire height,then do a search on 17" to get an idea of what is available. If money is no object then 20" rims with a 325/25X20 would be pretty awesome or if you went down in rim size to 15" and put on 35X12.5X15 mud diggers. Getting stuck would not be a problem.
Cheers
gentlemanjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
STEVE2000ZR2
AF Newbie

Re: Larger tires for my 2002 Ram

I to would like to know how tall I can go on my 2004 ram 1500, 4x4 ?? 17 inch stock wheels, I also would like to know how to lift it and not make the ride hard, get a key for the front and crank it up to level it ??I do understand this will make it a bit stiffer, I dont mind as long as it dont beat me to bad, and when I do this how do I know what kind of shock to get , as I will need longer ones?
STEVE2000ZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels