Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Range Rover | Range Rover Sport | Evoque
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 08:49 PM   #1
megatronrules
AF Newbie

mid '90s ranger rovers how reliable?

The title basiclly says it all I'am interested in owner feedback from owners of 1996 through 1999 range rovers as these are the model years I am interested in . I've heard they we're unreliable but have never owned one so iam looking for feedback from people who own or have owned these suv's. Also i'am leaning towards the 4.6 HSE trim level if that matters at all?
megatronrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 03:37 PM   #2
LandRoverGrrl
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to LandRoverGrrl
I have not owned a model in those years, BUT I do work at a Land Rover dealer in the back. I'm not a tech, but I know what's up. I'll be honest. The most common problem I see with these are air suspension faults. My advice would be if you do get one, do a coil conversion coz you will eliminate the biggest problem they have. My theory is, if it's electronic, it will be a real pain in the ass. Other than that, if it's a pretty well maintained vehicle (ie, regular oil changes, filter changes, and maintenance in general) it will serve you well. Hope this helps. Good luck.

1991 "Great Divide" Range Rover ~ "Wayne"
LandRoverGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:09 PM   #3
Nasir4dot6
AF Newbie

Yes and NO!!

As a Rover owner I must say that they are high maintenance vehicles. I knew that going in and I definitely know that now. They (especially all P38's: 96-02 models) are prone to costly electrical problems not to mention EAS failures. The Electronic Air Suspension is like no other but can be a pain in the a$$. note the dollar signs. They are there for a reason!! Like the aforementioned post you can get coil spring conversion kits. But with all of that said I stilll love the Range. It performs like no other, commands respect and attention and is the Rolls Royce of SUV's. Just a lot of care and attention and you should be okay. Keep an honest and good mechanic in reach. Good Luck
Nasir4dot6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 08:08 AM   #4
porridgewog
AF Newbie

Range Rover 4.6 HSE

So you want a 4.6 HSE? Well just do it! You got to go with your heart and not your head on this one. I have had a '93 Vogue and a number of other 4x4's including Jeep Wrangler, GMC Sierra truck, Mitsubishi Pajero (Shogun) and Nissan Patrol. At present I have a '99 RR 4.6 HSE and I love it. Yes the air suspension can be a problem, but so far I have had none. It rises when it should and drops on the highway when I need it to. I just dont play around with it by dropping it for my girlfriend to get in and out. She's got legs, climb!

I use mine everyday and do do a 100 mile commute. It regularly sits at 160Kmh (100mph) with no problems. I live in the Middle East so speeding is not a major problem!

Only complaint I have is the drivers window sometimes drops a couple of millimetres when its down and then whistles at speed when it goes back up. And its black, so its a pain to keep clean in this desert environment!

Would I have another one? Oh yes! Soon as the prices drop a little I will buy a 2003 model (in black I suppose as it looks good!)
porridgewog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:37 AM   #5
alex_rudd
AF Newbie

Agreed - just do it! If you buy a Range Rover, you buy the problems that come with them. One thing to consider, is that with a model that age, someone else has probably sorted most of the problems (or at least can tell you what they are), as my feeling is that most faults related to poor build quality, not fundamental design issues.

Except for the porous block problem which some of the early 90's models had. Look out for the factory re-called ones, many of which had brand-new engines fitted at about 60,000 miles (this is a guess based on mine, which had average yearly mileage before I had it).

A lot of it is luck, but learn to live with a costly beast that keeps on taking.
alex_rudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 03:12 PM   #6
glenncof
AF Regular

Re: mid '90s ranger rovers how reliable?

I have had a 1991 RR Classic for about ten years, now at 173K miles.

I think it was in 1999 that RR put in Bosch electronics. This would be the next year I would consider. Prior years (1995-1998) computers would fail frequently I hear.

Nuff said about air suspension.

I used a british repair shop for many years but when they could not fix a ABS brake problem I took over and have never gone back. I do all service myself now.

The RR is fine if you are willing to be actively involved OR have the big bucks to pay for repair.

Generally it seemed to have broken in at 100K miles and fewer problems. This may be due to my involvement.
glenncof is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Range Rover | Range Rover Sport | Evoque