Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Range Rover | Range Rover Sport | Evoque
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 10:09 PM   #1
bakervo
AF Newbie

Angry Failed Brakes

HELP!!!!

My 95 4.0 has me at the end of my ropes, and am in desperate need of some help. I noticed about a month ago that my ABS and traction control lights were on. They come on as soon as I move the truck forward. My search tells me that it's probably a bad sensor so I tried 3 different shops and they could not figure out which sensor to replace.

Well, I had my rear breaks replaced 3 weeks ago and the problem has gotten worse. Driving two days ago my brakes failed completely. I have to push the pedal all the way to floor to come to a rolling stop. It feels like I have air in the system.

At this point I'm thinking of getting rid of the truck because I've spent almost $5,000 year to date. I hope someone can suggest a solution to my problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
bakervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 01:36 PM   #2
Cbass94
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Cbass94
Re: Failed Brakes

As for the brakes, it sounds like they need to be bled, just as you suspect. As for the sensor, any good diagnostic tool should be able to tell you which sensor is faulty, so I don't know what the shops were telling you. You may have to try a british only or import only shop to find someone who is good with diagnostic equipment. Also, have them give you a printout of the fault codes that come up. They usually will do it no charge. If you get the fault codes and post them, I'll try to help you through them. Aside from that, the last resort would be (heaven forbid) to go to the dealer and let them diagnose it. Then however, they will want to rob you with labor charges, but it may be the only place that has the right equipment. BTW, where are you located?
Cbass94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 02:36 PM   #3
bakervo
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Failed Brakes

Thanks a lot for your response. I am located in Richmond, Va, just moved here two weeks ago so I have to search for a qualified shop to handle this.

I'll try to post the fault codes.

Thanks again.
Vaanii
Old 09-15-2004, 07:23 PM   #4
glenncof
AF Regular

I have a 1991 RR with 169K on it, bought with 63K.

At age of 9 years I had the ABS "accumulator" fail, it holds the ABS presssure which comes from a nearby electric pump. Actually it is a nitrogen ball with a rubber blatter insided.

The manual says to replace this every 5 years I believe (CHECK OWNERS MANUAL) since the nitrogen leaks out and the bladder doesn't hold pressure. The ABS relay also failed due to rapid cycling when the bladder was weak.

I seem to recall power assist fails as a result since it is provided by ABS. You really must stomp on it, scary...

After truning on ignition you should hear the ABS pump running for 30-45 seconds (red brake light on dash is on until the accumulator is filled then it shuts off, the dash light will also go on if I set parking brake). Repeated braking will draw down the accumulator and the pump will turn on again (makes a werrring sound).

My ABS light has been on for 100K miles, usually due to sensors in the wheels. I think on really Range Rover shops have the correct system to read these codes.

I don't have traction control so no comment.

Last note; my ABS relay failed ON so the pump just kept running even with ignition off. The relay is controlled by a pressure sensor on accumulator. Yours could fail off so check the cycling of ABS as described.
glenncof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:38 PM   #5
bakervo
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Failed Brakes

Thanks for the information. I will give that a shot because bleeding the brakes did not help. How do you know which sensor is bad? Do you need the scanner to determine?

I will post my results.

Thanks again.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:51 PM   #6
glenncof
AF Regular

On the 1991 RR, changing pads does not require caliper removal, so the brake lines would not be disconnected. Caliper removel is required for new discs. If lines not removed, no bleeding required.

I was thinking you should read the manual on "traction Light". Perhaps you have "downhill decent control" which may involve ASB.

ABS readout by the RR equipment will tell.

Check function as I described, if not working check relay.

I beleive the reason they use ABS pump for power brakes (as opposed to vacuum assist off manifold) is if you stall going up a hill, you will still have power assist (not so on my Chevy Tahoe but it has brake shoes in back).
Old 09-16-2004, 06:47 PM   #7
glenncof
AF Regular

http://www.roversnorth.com/RR_ABSfault.pdf

See Rovers North for ABS fault codes and system diagnosis.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Range Rover | Range Rover Sport | Evoque