Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Auto Collision Network
Auto Collision Network The forum for Automotive and Collision repair schools, instructors, teachers and individuals in the industry helping to produced better qualified employees. In association with A.D.Smith NACAT, CRIN, ASA.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
untouchablz
AF Newbie

Prep before paint job

Hello I have a 91 buick regal and I want to get a new paint job. Overall the current paint is in good shape, it is just covered in swirly scratches, and a some fading because of the Houston sun. I plan on filling in the minor dents and finishing with primer, sand it with 400 grit sandpaper. To save money I will remove all emblems/accessories and tape up everything that should not be painted. My question is what should I do with the rest of the body? Scuff it with 400 grit paper? prime it?(all I have is spray can type)....Any other prep before turning in the car? Thanks in advance for any help.
Code 41 Plague
untouchablz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
LearnAutoBody
Auto Body Mod

Wink Re: Prep before paint job

No, do not apply anything over the remaining portion of the car. This may cause more work for the painter. First, repair your minor body damage and prime the repair areas only. Next, sand the entire vehicle with 400 grit sandpaper. Spend extra time on edges and hard-to-reach areas. If paint is going to peel, it going to start peeling from the edges. Next, use a 3M maroon scuff pad to scuff the car once again. this will assure edges and hard-to-get areas are sand thoroughly to provide proper adhesion. Next, use a spray can self-etching primer to prime any metal exposed areas. Only use on areas that sanded through. Now you ready to paint. Some paints brands recommend a sealer and other paint right over the prepared substrate.

With that said, you will not need to prime the remaining portions of the car. Just make sure that it's sanded good.

Here are a few videos that may help you.

www.YouTube.com/user/ButlerCollision

I hope this helps. Good Luck!
LearnAutoBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
solekeeper
AF Newbie

Re: Prep before paint job

600 wet can be used for prep as well.

Typically though, I like wetsanding before masking up. Water is always present where you think it isn't.
And water+Paint=Fail.
solekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Auto Collision Network