Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 03:34 PM   #1
briangallusser
AF Newbie

HELP! Explorer rough idle, can't figure it out!

Please help if you can. I have a 1997 Explorer Sport 4.0 SOHC, 110,000 miles. When I start it in the morning or after sitting for a few hours, the idle is very rough. Most of the time it wont even stay running. My first thought was a vacuum leak. I found four leaks and repaired them, including the EGR valve control and the EGR solenoid. One stem on each was broken off. I bought these parts from the dealer and then tested the vacuum, which I now have vacuum pressure. The check engine light is on and doesnt read the "system evap emission control pressure sensor low" (vacuum leak) anymore, but it now reads "system too lean (bank 1) and system too lean (bank 2). I cleaned the IAC valve and have ran several bottles of injector cleaner through. My mechanic thinks it is the IAC, but when you disconnect the plug on it, the car will barely idle, so it must be working at least a little. I have seen suggestions for a fuel filter, which I am going to replace, but I am really lost here. Please help!
briangallusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 05:04 PM   #2
saperich
AF Newbie

Re: HELP! Explorer rough idle, can't figure it out!

Cleaning the iac valve might not work.
The valve might be shot.
$50 at NAPA.
saperich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 05:38 PM   #3
yotermanic
AF Regular

po171/174 usually indicates another vacuum leak on the explorers. The black plastic intake on those has o-rings which are real bad about leaking. They're not hard to replace if you know what you're doing and they make all the difference in the world.
yotermanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 06:30 PM   #4
B33p3r
AF Regular

Bank 1 and bank 2 are your O2 sensors. You will not get an engine light for the IAC valve. The PCM has no way of knowing whether or not the IAC is working. I can't remember which O2 sensors are which. I've changed one so far. My vehicle has 5 O2's. I'm not sure about yours. Auto Zone will usually hook up and get error codes and tell you which ones you need to change. I've been told you can clean them but I never had oppurtunity to try that yet.
B33p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:41 PM   #5
briangallusser
AF Newbie

I think that mine has 3 o2 sensors, 1 downstream and 2 upstream. Would this be a good place to start, by replacing them? I have also heard about the intake gaskets leaking too. Can o2 sensors cause a rough idle? Thanks for all of your responses.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:42 PM   #6
boxcar301
AF Newbie

I have a 99, and have the same prob. Idles rough until it reaches operating temp. I replaced the fuel filter, and the MAF ($$$$), but my check engine light still keeps coming on. I rented and OBD II from Auto Zone and the codes say Bank 1 and 2 too lean, and random multiple misfire detected. Have you tried the spark plugs or wires yet? I was thinking about that next.
boxcar301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 05:22 PM   #7
briangallusser
AF Newbie

Another mechanic looked at my X and said that it was running too hot because it was actually lean, not just a sensor bad. He said that he was 95% sure that the fuel injectors were clogged. That is my next step. I will let you know how it goes. If anyone has any other ideas, let me know. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:00 PM   #8
Newzze913
AF Newbie

explorer

I have a 2000 explorer 4.0 SOHC w/ 61,000 miles on it. I have the exact same problem in the morning only without the check engine light. Once the vehicle warms up to operating temps its fine. I took it to a shop twice now and i had the IAC replaced. I still have the same problem i did before. When i turn it on it revs high for a second like its warming itself up and then dies almost immediatly, or it putters for 5 - 10 seconds and dies right after. I can not understand what the problem is with this, i have to take it back to the shop thursday 2/3 for them to look at again. If anyone hears any new info on this i would gladly appreciate if they could post it or better yet email me (Newzze913@hotmail.com) and if i find out what the problem is i will def post it.
Newzze913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 05:38 PM   #9
briangallusser
AF Newbie

Please, let me know! I havent checked my injectors yet, but I find it hard to believe that we all have clogged injectors. I need to figure this out soon. Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:03 PM   #10
FordTech4U
AF Newbie

as a tech myself, i would have to check for vacuum leaks especially considering the trouble codes you have (Banks 1 and 2 lean), you can do this by spraying 2+2(gum cutter) around the intake manifold and everywhere vacuum is present, you will have to do this when the concern is present(on cold engine) since the leak sounds as though its going away when warm, you will notice a difference in engine speed if a leak is present, i would have to suspect intake manifold gaskets(always replace upper and lower on sohc engine)
FordTech4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:28 PM   #11
briangallusser
AF Newbie

I used starter fluid to check for vacuum leaks. That's how I found 4 of them. I used a computer to test for vacuum and it showed that I had vacuum pressure. Is it possible that I still have vacuum leaks?
Old 02-02-2005, 09:41 PM   #12
Newzze913
AF Newbie

I believe he did check for vacuum leaks this first time i took it up there, i know he said he cleaned the throttle body, there was a good amount of gunk in there. I would assume he checked for leaks when he did this? Maybe he did not. I'll find out friday some more information as i have to leave it overnight thurs into friday bc it has to be a cold start for the problem to occur. It really is becoming a pain the but, i have looked all over the internet and everyone seems to be hooked on the IAC theory. That is not the problem as i had it replaced last friday, and it still continues to give me problems in the morning
Newzze913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 09:16 AM   #13
BlitzKeg
AF Regular

I have a 01 sport and I have a rough idle...Its caused by a old & minorly clogged fuel filter.
You said you have 110,000 miles Brian,
Its time for a new fuel filter as well as mine. I have 120,000 on my 01.

also you said you have a vacuum leak. a vacuum leak will cause a lean mix. also check your pcv valve I beleive there cheap but I've never bought one before,. check for any loose ground wires and electical wires. gl
BlitzKeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 01:54 AM   #14
briangallusser
AF Newbie

Changed my fuel filter today and I still have the same problem. So much for the cheap fix. Next is the injectors and maybe the intake gaskets. Any more suggestions would be helpful.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:25 AM   #15
FordTech4U
AF Newbie

Re: Re: HELP! Explorer rough idle, can't figure it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangallusser
Changed my fuel filter today and I still have the same problem. So much for the cheap fix. Next is the injectors and maybe the intake gaskets. Any more suggestions would be helpful.
as i stated before, i would replace upper and lower intake gaskets, a cheap and relatively easy repair, much cheaper than replacing all injectors, and ive never seen an injector problem that would only show its face when cold and go away, most of the time they also cause other concerns such as misfiring and running rough all the time, but its your money not mine
FordTech4U is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac