Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sienna
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
Hola
AF Newbie

Sienna 2000 hard to steer on low temperature

Wondering if anyone has this problem. Our Toyota Sienna LE 2000 gets hard to steer when temperatures are cool, perhaps 50 and lower. It only happens when you first drive it our of being parked the first few turns you really have to use force to turn the steering wheel and then it's fine the rest of the drive. We have use different power steering fluids to see if it makes a difference including the one from the Toyota dealer, but it does not help.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. This van has been solid since we bought it 1999 new and is still in great shape, but for this minor issue. Of course, like lots of you have mentioned in other threads, we have had the issues with the rear door latch, which I have replaced it twice, the sticking inside door bottom, etc. but all in all this has been and still is a very good vehicle.
Hola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #2
Crvett69
AF Moderator

Re: Sienna 2000 hard to steer on low temperature

if it is hard to steer both directions its probably the pump. if its only hard one way thats usually the rack. there may also be a filter in the system thats partially plugged and only works after fluid warms up and is thinner
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:08 PM   #3
wiswind
AF Moderator

If the belt is slipping, it can cause this.
Mine does this for a very short time, sometimes, after it has rained.

You might try changing the fluid.......use a ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) that meets the Dexron 3 specification..

Easy way is to empty and refill the reservoir.....start the engine.....turn wheel limit to limit.....then empty/refill reservoir again. Do this a few times and you will have changed out most of the fluid without having to disconnect things.
I unclip the reservoir from its clip on the inner fender and tip it to drain it into a small container.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...092975/detail/
2003 Toyota Sienna pictures (not much there yet)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...781661/detail/
wiswind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #4
Hola
AF Newbie

I wanted to post an update so that others who might be experiencing the same issue can take advantage of this before they make other unnecessary repairs. My mechanic discovered that the power steering belt had some minor cracks in the inside and asked me whether it had been replace before. This was the original belt so he replaced it and the hard steering issue went away, problem solved!!! after that we took a long trip in which we clocked 1,850 miles in a week a half and the van drives smooth as new!
Hola is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sienna