Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > RAV4
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
FormulaForce
AF Regular

1999 Rav4, brake fluid leak at reservoir

The wife's 99 Rav4 is leaking brake fluid where the reservoir meets the master cylinder, at the front connection. It's not real bad yet, but we have to top it off every other day or so. There are two grommets that are supposed to provide a seal. I thought I'd just order those and try that. Is there also a sealant that would help prevent this? I don't want to gum up the lines, brake fluid is corrosive if I'm not mistaken and I don't know what would work as a sealant. Also, I thought I'd try strapping down the reservoir to the MC with a big hose clamp or something for a tighter, non-jiggly fit. I don't care what it looks like. I'm going to try and keep the MC topped off the whole time to avoid having to bleed the system. Advice? (non)success stories?
FormulaForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
badbrakes
AF Newbie

Re: 1999 Rav4, brake fluid leak at reservoir

for what it's worth to you. brake lines is the only thing I dont toy with. granted you seems to be in southern US so probably dont have the rust and corroded brake lines we have up here - but this is one item I'd rather get done in a shop then trying myself. but to be more specific on your question: havent heard of a sealant. maybe you can get a3away with fixing yourself cause the problem only involves the reservoir. I would dismount the reservoir and install a proper gasket. then that leaves you with a bleed job. If the caliper plugs arent too bad, then invest the 1/2 hour and bleed the system.

my 2.5 cents.
badbrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:16 AM   #3
FormulaForce
AF Regular

I'll probably just try the new gaskets and skip any sealant. But I am going to try clamping the reservoir to the master cylinder somehow. I think that will help. Yeah, I try not to mess with brake lines either.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2014, 08:04 AM   #4
FormulaForce
AF Regular

I pushed the reservoir down tight and tied it to the master cylinder with a big cable tie. Seems to be working for now. We'll see.....

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > RAV4