Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Thunderbird
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #1
sreilly77
AF Enthusiast

'86 T-Bird Body Molding

Hello all:

I inherited a 1986 Ford Thunderbird from my 90 year old grandmother with only 38,000 miles on the clock! It is only the 3.8L V6, but it is in beautiful condition. It's been parked for 3 years in a garage, but ran flawlessly before stored away. I drove around in this car while learning to drive. Needless to say, it has a lot of sentimental value to me.

However, it is missing the body side molding on the passenger door (fell off right before it was parked). I've searched the internet, and will be calling the auto-wreckers to see if there is 83-86 T-bird or Courgar parts that may have this trim.

I'd thought I'd ask on here as well. If anyone has this piece from 83-86 T-Bird our Cougar, or can point me in the right direction to find this piece, please let me know. Besides that, this car is 100% original, and I want to keep it that way.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-24-2017, 01:03 PM   #2
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Re: '86 T-Bird Body Molding

Most used parts recyclers are connected in a national network and will be able to find the part for you at a price. To save money, but not time, you'll have to check for the part and remove it yourself.
Three years is getting old for gasoline. You might want to see about draining the tank so you can go with fresh before starting it again. I have started a car with 5 year old gas and using starting fluid to get it going, but it was a very rough run till it got some new gas and new fuel filter.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:10 AM   #3
sreilly77
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65comet View Post
Most used parts recyclers are connected in a national network and will be able to find the part for you at a price. To save money, but not time, you'll have to check for the part and remove it yourself.
Three years is getting old for gasoline. You might want to see about draining the tank so you can go with fresh before starting it again. I have started a car with 5 year old gas and using starting fluid to get it going, but it was a very rough run till it got some new gas and new fuel filter.
Thanks for the tip. I did find a network of used parts from junk yards. I did find the mirror, and may have found the trim as well. Surprisingly, there are a lot of these old birds still on the road!

I do plan to drain all the gas out of the tank. Also going to try and drain the fuel lines as well. I'll also be changing the oil, changing the coolant, replace the fuel filter, clean the throttle body (it has TBI), replace the battery, and check all the hoses and belts for cracking. Tires are not quite flat yet, but almost. I didn't see much dry rot since it's been parked in a garage, but I'll probably put new tires on it, and clean up the brakes too.

Any other suggestions to get the car running smoothly again would be greatly appreciated. I did put a new exhaust system on it before it was parked so that should be good to go.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #4
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Glad you mentioned the brakes. Back in '81 my 65 Comet Convertible was in storage over winter. Checked everything except the brake fluid since there were no leaks on the floor and didn't think I needed to check it. Back in the middle of winter my dad needed brake fluid for his work car and syphoned out mine, then forgot to tell me. After starting, it was really rough so I put it in reverse and floored it to keep it going. Then my heart jumped into my throat as the brake pedal went to the floor and I'm speeding at probably 40 mph backwards down the drive, across the street, up the neighbors drive and towards their garage. At about the street I was in neutral and just before their garage I cranked it over into their bushes. I was stopped with the rear end a foot off the ground with no car damage and had to do their yard the rest of the summer.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Thunderbird