Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Granada | Scorpio
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
72' Stang 351 H/O
AF Regular

1977 Granada Info! Need NOW

I just saw a ad in my local craigslist for a Granada. 3500 dollars 2 Door Sport 302 and 26,000 miles! Tell me everything you know about this car.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: 1977 Granada Info! Need NOW

The Ford Granada debuted in 1975 and was discontinued in 1982. It was available in a 2dr. and 4dr. models with engines ranging from 200 cu. in. and 250 cu.in. for the 6 cylinder models up to a 302 cu.in. and 351 cu.in. V8. There were a couple of different models also available, the "Ghia" and Sport Coupe versions. And in 1977 a somewhat "rare" model came out, actually a 1977 1/2 with different trim and color options.
I cannot remember the last time I personally saw a Granada in my area. Due to heavy salt usage in my area in the winter, they all rusted out and ended up in the salvage yards.The only time one would expect to see a Granada here would be in a car show or if one was "passing through or visiting" from out of state

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
speedfreak
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to speedfreak Send a message via MSN to speedfreak

....And most of the salvage yard cars were crushed or cannibalized for the front brakes and rear end if it was a 9".

The Granadas were relatives of the Mavericks and '67-70 Mustangs and were the predecessors to the Fairmonts that replaced it with the Fox3 chassis.
1968 Mustang notchback Roller 302, Edelbrocks, Hookers, side-exits, RRs, Crane 2031, Duraspark, forged slugs, X-Celerator, 650DP, Fidanza FW, RAM clutch, Toploader, Comp Plus, McLeod bell, 15x7s, 1 1/8 swaybar.
1972 Ford Pinto SVO 2.3 turbo, MegaSquirt, T5, 8", etc.
'95 Honda XR600-10.5:1, 628cc, ported head, & more.
speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
Fortune50
AF Newbie

Yes, the original Ford Granada (and its '75-'80 Mercury version the Monarch and '77-80 Lincoln version the Versailles) were built from '75-'80. These were the 1st generation (of 2 generations of the Granada nameplate). The 1st gen. had the springs on top of the upper control arms and they used regular shocks instead of struts. Many had 8" rear ends-no inspection cover, or a carrier type of rear-which had a rear inspection cover.
I had a '75 Ghia 4dr. sedan w/ the 351w (5.8L) 2 barrel v8, rated at a whopping 142hp and 255 lb ft. torque and it had the carrier (c-clip w/ inspection cover) design rear end. Mine however, had much of it's emission equipment stripped by the time I got it, so no cats & no smog pump. I owned it in the late 80's and it ran about a 16.4 in the 1/4. It would bury it's 120mph speedo (if you gave it enough time, lol). 2nd gear upshift tire chirping was not a problem as the stock C4 transmission was rebuilt with a bit of a quick shift (not intentionally built to do that, lol). It was not very good on gas though, about 14-15 mpg w/ a best of 16 mpg. An electrical fire burned up the interior one day (HVAC issue gone bad) and it was scrapped, it had 170+K miles on it at the time and used NO engine oil. I did replace the timing chain & cam gear as it was thought they were bad, which turned out to be a bad ignition coil, lol. Fun car at the time for $300.
My Dad had a black on black '76 Monarch coupe with the floor shift & bucket seats and 250 (4.1L) I6 engine with a 1 barrel Carter carb. It was very reliable, probably because it had all it's smog removed by the time he bought it (about '86). But it was still very slow and in full stock trim rated at 76hp @ 3000 rpm and 187 lb ft. torque @ 1200 rpm. A very low rpm engine. Dad did record 21 mpg a few times with it but it mostly got around 17 mpg. I got it up to 105 mph one cold morning day going down hill, lol. It was an extremely reliable car, always started no matter what. A tree limb fell on it and was then sold to a young man who wanted parts off it.
The 302 2 barrel carb. V8 was installed in them, too. I believe they were rated at around 130hp and 230 tq. with some variation year to year.
The '81 & '82 Granada's (the Monarch name became the Cougar sedan in '81 & '82) were completely different as they had the Fox body (original to the Fairmont) which had front struts and rack & pinion steering. I do believe they mostly were equipped w/ the 200 (3.3L) I 6 engine, don't know if many got the 120hp 255 ci (4.2L) V8 that the Mustang & T-bird/Cougar coupes did. It's also possible some had the 140 ci (2.3L) I4 engine, too.
By 1983, the Fox bodied Granada/Cougar became the "little" Ford LTD & Mercury Marquis twins...I had an '85 Marquis w/ the CFI 3.8 making 120hp and 205 tq. w/ a 3spd C5 auto. It got 21 mpg highway and about 17 around town (which varied).
1999 Ford Taurus SE 24v (SOLD).
Family's cars:
1999 Mercury Sable LS wagon 24v.
1999 Ford Taurus SHO 32v.
2002 Honda Civic LX sedan.

Last edited by Fortune50; 01-13-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Fortune50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
thetandycollector
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to thetandycollector

I own both a 79 Granada and a 78 Versailles. While the Versailles has been nothing but a huge pain in the a$$ due to massive electrical issues from day 1, I bought the Granada with 69,800 original miles in 2004 and have driven it on and off ever since. Even with sitting in a field for ten years prior to my purchase the car was still in very good shape. The second set of tires had to be removed and replaced with new when I got it, but other than that, all I have EVER done to this car was replaced the EGR valve in 05, rebuilt the carb in 07, replaced tires again just because in 2010, new radiator cap and had the radiator cleaned in 2011, and a locking gas cap added this year due to nosy people that don't have enough money to get their down gas.

Mine is a 1bbl 250 Inline 6 with a three speed auto. 4 dr. Have been driving it since high school, and haven't managed to kill it. Believe me, I've tried, and with all the drags and high speed pothole filled country roads, it's a wonder I haven't. And, don't let anyone tell you they have no power, I've got more power in this landboat in that inline six than I EVER had in my 302 Lincoln Towncar... and I haven't removed the emissions. This car was mechanically untouched the day I purchased it, with the exception of an AC compressor replaced in the mid 80's, and remains so for the most part today... all new engine gaskets next week, I'm refreshing the whole thing for my lil' bro He just got his license Monday.
thetandycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #6
speedfreak
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to speedfreak Send a message via MSN to speedfreak

For some reason I doubt that the original poster is still looking to buy a Granada five years later....
1968 Mustang notchback Roller 302, Edelbrocks, Hookers, side-exits, RRs, Crane 2031, Duraspark, forged slugs, X-Celerator, 650DP, Fidanza FW, RAM clutch, Toploader, Comp Plus, McLeod bell, 15x7s, 1 1/8 swaybar.
1972 Ford Pinto SVO 2.3 turbo, MegaSquirt, T5, 8", etc.
'95 Honda XR600-10.5:1, 628cc, ported head, & more.
speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Granada | Scorpio