Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Highlander/Highlander Hybrid/Kluger
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 08:31 AM   #1
darkarlaw
AF Newbie

'03 Highlander temp control problems

When in AC mode full cold setting if I move it to slightly warmer(clockwise) setting it blows hot air. If I tap the control switch with my finger it will start blowing colder air again. Sometimes if you wait it will eventually blow colder air again. Sounds like a loose/cracked vacuum line or connection to me, or a defective temp controler. The dealer said it is $400 plus for the controller pack.
darkarlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
fleetgmc
AF Newbie

Re: '03 Highlander temp control problems

Hi,

I saw you didn't get any replies to your AC issue. I am having the same problem and it is getting worse. Did you have any luck finding your problem. My experience with intermittent problems (even when they reccur repeatedly) is that the deaershiop starts guessing and replacing parts. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
fleetgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
typesix
AF Regular

If you are talking about temperature control knob, it appears to be a common problem. Many have posted at Edmunds.com about this problem and how to fix it.
typesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
fleetgmc
AF Newbie

Thanks. Easiest repair ever for a problem I thouight I'd be ripping the car apart to fix. Took 1/2 minute to tighten mounting nut. Cured the nagging problem.
fleetgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
tepco
AF Newbie

Temporary fix.. Because the nut was loose the wires behind it have broken. By tightening the nut it probably is holding the control against the wire but you will eventually have to pull it and fix it. Not a big problem i fixed mine in about 1/2 hr from start to finish.

There is a post with pictures explaining it step by step.
tepco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
darkarlaw
AF Newbie

Smile Re: '03 Highlander temp control problems

I bought the new unit(PC Board temp contol)$400 from dealer, took it apart fairly easy, had to reuse fan speed SW and air select def/heat/air control SW. What I found on the old unit was there was a triple solder connection to attach the temp control to the PC board that was just barely soldered together, not enough, and it cracked at the weak point so it worked intermittantly. Now I have a spare old one, I just need to re-solder the 3 connections better. So that's why when I tapped on the temp control knob, it would connect again for awhile and send the info to change the temp. This is pretty easy and straight fwd repair, just be very careful with the new PC module & board, no static arc to it or it could be ruined, don't damage it/ be careful. The plastic trim ring around this area on the dash will pop off if you are careful with it and go easy. That will allow you to see how to get at the unit and take it all apart. Took me an hour or so. Good Luck.
darkarlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
tepco
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tepco View Post
Temporary fix.. Because the nut was loose the wires behind it have broken. By tightening the nut it probably is holding the control against the wire but you will eventually have to pull it and fix it. Not a big problem i fixed mine in about 1/2 hr from start to finish.

Its a shame you spent $400 its an easy fix, as i posted above.

At least you have it all working again.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
southeastpm
AF Newbie

Cool Re: '03 Highlander temp control problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetgmc View Post
Thanks. Easiest repair ever for a problem I thouight I'd be ripping the car apart to fix. Took 1/2 minute to tighten mounting nut. Cured the nagging problem.
I am having the same problem. How did you get back there to tighten anything? Please advise.....blond but not dumb! Thanks
southeastpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
tepco
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by southeastpm View Post
I am having the same problem. How did you get back there to tighten anything? Please advise.....blond but not dumb! Thanks
Just grab the knob and pull it off, the nut is just behind the knob. Hopefully the wires are not broken behind it from being loose. Not a big deal if they are but more detailed.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
southeastpm
AF Newbie

Is the nut attached to the knob. I am afraid if I pull the knob off how do I reattach it?
Does it just pop back on? I am getting heat out of it now, the only issue is it is loose and the indicators are backwards. Should I try this myself or leave it to a professional and suck up the cost? Thanks
Old 01-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #11
tepco
AF Newbie

Quote:
Is the nut attached to the knob. I am afraid if I pull the knob off how do I reattach it?
Does it just pop back on? I am getting heat out of it now, the only issue is it is loose and the indicators are backwards. Should I try this myself or leave it to a professional and suck up the cost? Thanks
Yes it just pulls off and goes on one way, D shaped hole on knob. When you say your indicators are backwards if you mean hot and cold dont work exactly as shown, your wires are broken behind the panel. You will need to pull the panel off and re solder 3 small wires. Not hard but not for the first timer. Just pull the knob off and tighten the nut behind it for now. Sometimes it will hold the knob against the wires and seem like its fixed but i assure you it is not and will need to eventually be fixed.
GL.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:11 AM   #12
southeastpm
AF Newbie

It is blowing heat right now (needed badly) but it has to be turned around to the cold side for it to work. That is one reason I was not having a fit to get it repaired cause it is still working just not correctly. I have a piece of tape holding it in position cause it is loose and needs the pressure applied. How much of the panel has to be removed to solder the wires (if that is the case)? I will try the nut thing and see what happens. Thanks so much for the assistance.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #13
tepco
AF Newbie

Quote:
It is blowing heat right now (needed badly) but it has to be turned around to the cold side for it to work. That is one reason I was not having a fit to get it repaired cause it is still working just not correctly. I have a piece of tape holding it in position cause it is loose and needs the pressure applied. How much of the panel has to be removed to solder the wires (if that is the case)? I will try the nut thing and see what happens. Thanks so much for the assistance.
Try this link for how to pull the panel off (page 2) http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...-cool-control/

And this detailed link for info in the whole job http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...-quit-sort-of/

Keep in mind this looks difficult but took me less then 30min and I'm not a master solderer and its been working fine for years now.

Good luck
Old 02-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #14
lawdl59
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tepco View Post

Not the wires, mine was the conn at the pc board tightening may fix some but not mine, access the board and look to see where temp cont is soldered to the board, 3 conductors...cracked conn so worked intermittantly so soldering or new board to fix mine... lawdl59
lawdl59 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Highlander/Highlander Hybrid/Kluger