Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > GT40
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 06:00 PM   #1
RedLightning
AF Enthusiast

Talking 3.3 is now believable.

we now can all believe this- http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1 because on this- http://www.fordvehicles.com/fordgt/specs.asp you will notice that it just gained 50hp!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustmAce
Real emo kids kill themselves.
RedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 04:31 PM   #2
ac427cpe
two wheels

Send a message via AIM to ac427cpe
Re: 3.3 is now believable.

very cool! good find!

No more project cars. I wonder how long that will last...
ac427cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:40 PM   #3
FordGTMk1Gulf
AF Newbie

Yea it has been at 550hp but most test drives and reviews always put it at 500hp for some reason. I guess just for the 500/500 rating or something. I have been wondering why they do put 500hp myself to. I was at an Autoshow a little while back and heard the spokesman say 550 too so 550 is right but no one uses it.
FordGTMk1Gulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:20 PM   #4
Demon_Mustang
AF Enthusiast

Reviewers don't really put them on a dyno to get hp readings, they simply take the manufacturer's word on it. Since you'd actually have to remove the engine to get bhp readings, I don't think Ford would have allowed for that.

Actually, a Mustang magazine said they put a GT on a dyno and it was putting 565hp on the rear wheels. Don't know how much you can trust that though, but from what I've heard, 550bhp is DEFINITELY still underrating it, and Ford loves to underlist their cars, don't know why.
Demon_Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:59 PM   #5
RedLightning
AF Enthusiast

its annoying for them to underrate their cars, after that cobra fiasco, it seems that they have been underating their cars, or so thats what every other cobra owner it seems says.
Quote:
Old 05-18-2004, 07:25 PM   #6
duplox
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to duplox

Another thing about Ford underrating thier cars and the GT... They claim the GT is going to weigh 3400lbs... Now if I'm not mistaken, it has an extruded aluminum frame, an aluminum engine, either aluminum or fiberglass body panels(which one? not that it really matters), and a no-frills interior(although its still very nice looking). I dont know about you, but I cant see how the car is going to weigh 3400lbs given its size and the materials its made out of. My '69 mustang coupe doesnt even weigh 3400lbs and it has a whole lot of steel, its bigger, its got back seats and heavy front seats, a big iron engine block, etc. If I didnt know Ford's given weight and I saw a breakdown on the GT, I'd say it would weigh around 2400lbs, 2600 tops. I think Ford is seriously and very intentionally underrating it. Its hard to play catch up in the automotive world, so I believe Ford is doing its damnedest to keep its competitors in the dark about how fast this car is really going to be. 565hp at the wheels? Even at a phenominal 5% drivetrain loss, thats 590hp at the crank. A more realistic drivetrain loss is 10% - puttin it at around 620 crank hp.
duplox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 08:59 PM   #7
RedLightning
AF Enthusiast

I always get confused with drivetrain loss stuff, this is one incredible car. Off topic(but too small to start a thread) i was watching something on the making of the Ford GT and when they had some ferrari 360's laying around they had bumper stickers on them that said that "id rather be driving a Ford GT" which I thought was quite funny.
Quote:
Old 05-18-2004, 10:03 PM   #8
ac427cpe
two wheels

Send a message via AIM to ac427cpe

i've got 2 of those bumper stickers

No more project cars. I wonder how long that will last...
ac427cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 02:29 AM   #9
Demon_Mustang
AF Enthusiast

Yah, I've seen that too, they put those on the 360 Modenas, they should really drive them around so people will think a 360 Modena owner is dreaming about a Ford GT. Can't be better publicity than that!

Also, did you see the program on the Discovery Channel called Rebuilding of a Race Car Legend? It's a whole show on the Ford GT, not sure if that's what you were talking about, but one of the development team leaders is quite overweight, so he rides around in one of those scooters, forgot his name, let's pretend it's Fred something.

Anyway, on the back of his scooter, he has painted on there in the same font as the Ford GT badge on the side stripe, "Fred GT." That is pretty funny too, lol.

Anyway, the program was pretty awesome, you should go to the discovery channel website and do a search on it and see if they are re-airing it anytime soon...
Demon_Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 08:34 PM   #10
RedLightning
AF Enthusiast

thats the show i saw.
Quote:
Old 07-11-2004, 11:00 PM   #11
thunderbird muscle
AF Enthusiast

Ford underrates the cars for insurance purposes, It helps the cusomers pay less in insurance therefore they will sell more of the cars!

Racing a Honda is like being in the special olympics even if you win your still retarded!
thunderbird muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 03:49 AM   #12
Demon_Mustang
AF Enthusiast

I really doubt the Ford GT will ever have low insurance rates, lol.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:21 PM   #13
mr_tw
AF Regular

the reasons that a manufacturer would underrate a car could be that they want to fool the competition so that the car has *only* 550hp so other manufactures would come out with a car that actually has that same number, or cose, when the GT will actually have significantly more, and also production differences in the engines, this could save them from an engine having less than it's rated for, because nobody will get mad for a getting a car with more power. Also the Cobra R that was out a few years ago, had the same power at the wheels as it was rated foir at the flywheel (385) ether that or the engines jusrt plain exceeded their goals
Old 08-04-2004, 09:56 PM   #14
RedLightning
AF Enthusiast

ya i could see that.
Quote:

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > GT40