Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Pick-Up
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
LadyMe
Rag Doll

Ignition Problem?

My little blue monster is at it again... another new mystery problem *sigh*

All sudden-like my truck won't start. I can hear the engine turning over but it won't catch. I feel like it's an ignition problem but I'm not completely sure. Today I ran some tests. I held my spark plug cord close to my spark plug while my hubby cranked the engine and I saw a spark. I also replaced the distributor cap and rotor. The cables aren't as new as I thought so I might replace them tomorrow (the truck is a rescue: 1981 Toyota Pickup - 22R)

I have some ugly old broken wires that run into my ignitor coil. I fixed the worse one today. I could probably make the other two look nicer (but I think their connection looked fine, and I don't have a lot of wire there to mess with, so I left them alone).

I have recently put a new carburetor on the pickup but the truck is not acting like it's an air/fuel mixture problem (the problem "sounds" different plus it was working fine a few days ago). My father and I have recently adjust the ignition timing to the recommended setting in the repair manual. The truck ran great for a few days after this adjustment but maybe this is part of the problem. I tried to adjust the ignition timing today to see if I could get the truck to start, but it would not, so I returned it to it's last position before cursing and closing the hood.

Any ideas?
Old 12-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
SleepyHead98
AF Regular

Re: Ignition Problem?

Spray some starting fluid in it, if it tries to start, its ignition, if not maybe fuel. If you are unsure of your timing, you might need to get a timing light.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
LadyMe
Rag Doll

I thought my timing light couldn't help me unless I can get the engine going... am I incorrect? I regret adjusting it when the engine wouldn't start but... I did because it was recommended by a wiser mechanic (the engine had been adjusted several degrees a few days before with the timing light). After the adjustment, everything seemed good - engine sounded great but a few days later and it won't start. I had just taken it for a test drive about 3 hours before. Later that night I took my pickup to pickup a friend when it stalled out when attempting to accelerate from a full stop. I got it going again and drove us home but it hasn't started again.

Yesterday I tried starting fluid. The truck did not start but I should try that again tomorrow because I made some repairs today. I redid all the bad, broken, old wires leading from the modulator to the ignitor coil and replaced the cheap/crappy spark plug cables (spark plugs new & correctly gaped).

The engine was more aggressive in it's desire to start today but failed with a big puff of white smoke coming out the carburetor time and time again. I did test the fuel pump and that's working just fine. I might have to tap out and call a couple of mobile mechanics I've worked with before. I like hiring them because I can hang out, watch and learn... but bummer. I still have one more day to play so more ideas are welcome. I'll look into them. I'm learning, and this truck needs lots of TLC, so it's fun for me to explore the engine.

Cheers!
Old 12-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #4
automan9482
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to automan9482

Yes, the engine has to be running to pick up on the "pulse" for the your timing light to work. If you remember *very nearly where the timing setting was before adjusting it while not running it should be ok till it does run again. Recheck it immediately when it does start and paint mark the correct orientation for future reference! Any wrong adjustments to timing would almost certainly be immediately noticeable if they were going to be bad enough to make it stop, so that probably wasn't the culprit.
Was the distributor cap & rotor button replaced? Possible bad ignition coil, or bad complete distributor assembly? Follow test procedures for each in the shop manual. If you smell gas while cranking, it is likely a spark problem.
Maybe double check the mixture and idle setting on the carb since it was just serviced.
Also, what about any blown fuses or fusible links for the ignition system?
Mine's an '87 so I am unsure exactly where to point you but if you have a service or owner's manual, look there for specifics. On the '87 there's an underhood 80A main fusible link, and two smaller fusible links, 30A & 40A I believe, marked "AM1" and "AM2". It will crank all day and never fire with any of those not intact.
LadyMe (12-08-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
LadyMe
Rag Doll

I think the timing is in the ball park (I did mark it before I fiddled with it)... but I'll have my timing light ready so I can adjust it right away if I get the engine to start today. Thanks for the advice. I will get my ohmmeter out and start checking things. I looked up the procedure in my manual and I have some really great instructions to follow so hopefully the meter will reveal something.

I also discover that there is one fusible link. Thanks for mentioning that. I will definitely check it (along with my coil, ignition switch & signal generator). I appreciate the tips. I am afraid that it will be a big ticket item like the coil or distributor... but hopefully it will be something lame like a fuse.

Cheers!

PS - I have THE service book for my truck! I found the 1981 Repair Manual on ebay... only problem is, it didn't come with any magic words and I'm pretty sure what I'm missing here is magic words
Old 12-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
SleepyHead98
AF Regular

If you spray starting fluid in it, and it TRIES to start off the starting fluid, then its a fuel problem. What happened when you sprayed starting fluid in it?
Old 12-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
automan9482
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to automan9482

The magic words are "Come on, baby, come on...please please please..."
Great looking Yota btw. Love it well and it will love you back for a long time.
LadyMe (12-09-2013), SleepyHead98 (12-08-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
LadyMe
Rag Doll

Ugh, ugh Ugly outside... for the past 2 days = rain, rain, rain... and I don't have a garage so I haven't been able to try anything (except practice those magic words, lol).

Hey Sleepyhead when I put the starting fluid in the carburetor there was zero change in the pickups attempt to start... because of the stupidy rain I haven't been able to try it again since the minor repairs I made a few days ago, but honestly, I don't expect it'll act any differently.

I tried shaking my fist at it and still NOTHING!

It is a pretty good looking Yota though <3 ...and one day, I'll get it all fixed up. There is no other pickup for me. I love the 81'. First year of the 22R and last year of those adorable round headlights and trunk latches. I may not be the best mechanic but the truck has someone who will love it dearly and not grumble too loudly when it needs money dumped into it. I'm thinking of installing a credit card reader right on the engine
Old 12-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
SleepyHead98
AF Regular

Hahaha, credit card reader, good one. Yeah its probably ignition then. Check for power at the coil.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
LadyMe
Rag Doll

I've been a busy girl today and I accomplished a whole lot of NOTHING. *Grrrr

I replaced the ignitor coil and the engine acted no different (so I returned it). Then I attempted to install a new distributor. Now it's worse and that's because I messed up the installation. Don't judge - repairs are hard when you're a newb on your own.

So... looks like I will be calling my team of mobile mechanics to come out to get my monster running. Hopefully they will succeed where I did not and ideally I will learn something by watching them work. Ah well, you can't win them all.

Cheers!

Last edited by LadyMe; 12-20-2013 at 04:05 PM.
LadyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
LadyMe
Rag Doll

My devil in a blue dress is back on the road. The problem was the distributor. It was worse after I replaced it because I failed to line it up right (made the error of syncing it with the exhaust stroke)...

I really appreciate all y'all for chiming in on the post and trying to help me with my problem. Cheers!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Pick-Up