Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 08:39 PM   #1
budgirl
AF Newbie

'89 isuzu trooper ll won't start...:frown:

My 89 trooper ll has the 4ZE1 2.6 engine. It will not start but the symptoms started with the idle appearing low and it would stall when put in gear. It was sluggish in operation and occasionally would have no power at all with the pedal all the way to the floor and the vehicle on an incline. I changed the fuel pump, filter, hoses and wires and was able to get the vehicle to run for a short period of time, a bit sluggishly but once I shut it off, it would not start again. We double checked the fuel pump, hoses and wires twice with the same results (the vehicle runs, for a short time, low idle, but once stopped, it won't start again). I've been told it could be my I.A.C. valve and it has been suggested that I should unplug it to see if I can get it running without an idle and using the pedal to keep it running just to diagnose it. I've also been told it could be any number of other components such as the O2 sensor, fuel pressure guage and air flow sensor. I've blown out the feed line, the return line and the air line from the engine all the way to the tank and all is clear. I've checked for voltage and continuity in both ends of the harness for the fuel pump. I've hooked the fuel pump to the battery and suspended it in a bucket of fuel to confirm that it is working and it is but when I have it in the fuel tank and disconnect the feed line at the engine and turn the key, no fuel comes out. What is my next step? As you can see, I am at my wits end. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be getting fuel out of the feed line at the engine or not. I would also like to rule out timing, valve clearance and compression. Those are way over my head and I would rather not waste time or money on those if they have nothing to do with my current problem. Please, help....Any worthy advice is much appreciated. I have to say that I've had this trooper for 4 years and this is the first problem I've had with it. I want my "picki" back up and runnin'. Thanks in advance.....

dawn....

budgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 09:04 PM   #2
Andrews
AF Newbie

problem trooper

hi

I'm having a similar problem with an 89 trooper. To check the fuel pump, just get a fuel pressure guage and connect it before the pressure regulator(can be in a couple of different places, mines near the front end of the fuel rail). Then crank the engine and see if you have pressure. Incidently, If the fuel pump is running, you should be getting fuel out of the hose that enters the fuel rail.

I'm also having a real hard time figuring out what's wrong with mine. Its been to a dealer and garage with no success. I've narrowed my problem down to the ignition, the spark isn't strong enough or isn't timed right. Back to your problem, if you rule out fuel, then check the compression. Its not that hard but you do need a tool (guage). The manual says all cylinders are supposed to be around 170psi, with no big differences between cylinders. Then make sure your getting a spark at each plug.

Wish I could be more help.

Andy
Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:55 PM   #3
NVRDUNIZU
AF Newbie

Re: '89 isuzu trooper ll won't start...:frown:

I Had The Same Problem With My 89 Trooper . It Turned Out To Be A Coolant Temp Sensor For The Computer On The Truck. There Are 2 Of The Sensor's One Is For Gauge In The Dash And The Other Is For The Trucks Computer. Basically If It Doesnt Read It Right It Thinks That The Engine Is Cold And Give It To Much Fuel On Start Up . Inturn Flooding Out The Engine Not Allowing It To Start. It Would Also Cause It To Run Really Rich Giving Me Bad Acceleration And Fuel Milage.

I Hope This Helps
NVRDUNIZU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
soundrew
AF Newbie

Hi Dawn,

Have you pulled the spark plugs? If so, what did they look like? Black and sooty will likely mean you aren't having a fuel starvation problem. Have you checked the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF)? Its just downstream from the air cleaner housing. When mine (88 trooper, 4ZE1) went bad- the fuel/air mixture was so screwed up that the truck ran like s#@t (like what you are describing) and it was so rich that when I popped the hood the exhaust was glowing red hot! Unplugging the electrical connector for the MAF should make it run better if the MAF is bad. The new part is.... brace yourself..... about $800 from a dealer. However, I was able to get one at a nearby junk yard for less than $50. In fact, I bought an extra one just in case this might happen again. Let me know if you need one and can't find it locally.

Andrew
soundrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
Tryumph
AF Newbie

Same problem, easy cure (at least for me).
This also happened on my '89 Trooper. Although I have the 2.8 liter V6, not the four-banger, it has the same coolant sensors as described here ... and one of them going bad was, indeed, the cause of the problem. The part was less than $15 (might have been less than $10) at an auto parts store.
The Trooper usually wouldn't start, and when it did, it ran horribly. And if it died, it was almost impossible to restart.
The way I finally diagnosed the problem (after repeated attempts to start the Trooper) was to pull the relay for the fuel injection, crank the engine briefly to get all the excess gas out of the cylinders, then replace the relay. At that point, it would usually start again.
As always, whenever removing a sensor on an older vehicle, particularly one in contact with water, it's a good idea to apply PB Blaster or some other penetrating oil for several days before you try to remove it. In my case, the sensor came out (relatively) easily, but you never know ...
Tryumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
meanoman
AF Newbie

Thumbs down Re: '89 isuzu trooper ll won't start...:frown:

I have similar problems with 88 trooper w/2.6 I think may be coolant temp. sensor but can't find it. I find temp. sensor for gauge, but not for ecm computer
meanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:33 AM   #7
gazzarama
AF Newbie

HI, Ive got the same problem cant get 1st start up on Rodeo 95 4ze1 rebuilt engine. Had no fuel at the rail but got over that by finger over the end of the fuel pipe & bleeding the air out of the piping. With fuel to the rail it almost starts then later locks up almost with fuel. Irregular amounts of fuel, not much then heaps of fuel on the ends of the 4 plugs other times 2 plugs firing good, 2 wet with fuel. More headaches thanks garyb in Oz.
gazzarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #8
Spidey1992
AF Newbie

Re: '89 isuzu trooper ll won't start.

I'm having a similar problem, bought the trooper with190xxx miles on it and the O2 sensor has been on ever since i got it. It has been running sluggish and has problems accelerating and also maintaining idle ( often shuts off shortly after startup unless i pump the gas pedal) but usually gets right going after the 2nd or 3rd startup. Ran all day until i shut it off, now it won't start. The motor won't even crank when i turn tho ignition. Can anybody help me? I don't know how to tell might be wrong with it
Spidey1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:10 PM   #9
Crvett69
AF Moderator

if the engine is not cranking over when you turn the key it sounds like your battery is dead. put it on a charger or try jump starting it
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:36 PM   #10
Spidey1992
AF Newbie

Well theradio and all the dash lights work fine when I try to turn it on. Could it be something else like perhaps the starter or spark plugs? What would be the easiest things to check first or best way to troubleshoot?
Spidey1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:02 PM   #11
shortbox88
AF Newbie

Izusu's have many issues........... 1 being the aluminum block / piss poor oiling system in them........ i was a service writer for Izusu . and all I am going to say on this ,,, if it's not a diesel ...... SELL IT and stay away from them,,,, no matter how cheap you may have bought it ........ they have a TON of not easy to fix issues............... and yes the DEALER does pull codes...... if you have an Izusu . i hope you have another vehicle for a backup ...
shortbox88 is offline   Reply With Quote