Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > C-Class
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
thingchange
AF Newbie

2001 Mercedes-Benz C240

Hey everyone,,

Ok so here is the story,,, I have about 10k I would like to spend to grab a new car. Only needs to last me a few years ( 3ish)

I have found a bunch of Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz C240 that can be had at like 8-9k with around 70 thousand miles on them.

Whats the story behind this vehicle? I have read on various sites that are prone to breaking down.

I'm also looking at a bunch of 2001 Audi A4's with around 60-70k miles on them, all right around 8-9000 dollars.

Whats everyone's thoughts on these 2 cars?

Thanks a bunch
thingchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
vectortech
AF Newbie

Re: 2001 Mercedes-Benz C240

Have had experience with both cars:
The Mercedes is pretty good except for the dumb weak valve springs in the 4 cylinder engines. If you do look into buying one of these cars, see if it has had the new updated springs installed.
- I personally would recommend a c320. The 112 engine is a little more reliable and alot more fun to drive.
The audis are also nice cars , but expect to pay more for maintance as most of them have a t-belt. Turbos are also a weakness on these- only good for around 80k.
The models from those years are coming due for t- belt to be changed. Very bad things happen when t-belts snap !They also had issues with the cam chain tentioners- ALL of them leak after 50k!!

Try to get all the history you can on any car you get and find one that has been well cared for-
Good luck!
vectortech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
eclass
AF Regular

Re: 2001 Mercedes-Benz C240

If you would like a v6 with good gas mileage the c320 is a nice car. If you would like a all wheel drive a 2001 or 2002 e320 4matic or my favorite (if gas mileage is not a big deal) the e430 4matic with a v8. These older 210 chassis cars are getting cheaper and seem to have less problems as they age. The problem is they are getting to look a little dated. I agree with staying away from the 4 cylinder MB cars. I have never been a fan of the Audi engines or there cars for that matter, just a personal opinion.
eclass is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > C-Class