Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Del Sol
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 09:18 PM   #1
blk sol
AF Newbie

b16a or b18c, and stay n/a

what should i get a b16a, a b18c i don't wanna go turbo. if b16a; does the 94 up del sol si have a b16a. if b18c is better is it worth doing the swap if the si does come with a b16a. is it that much better.
blk sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #2
94SolGrl
Honda GODDESS/Global Mod

Send a message via AIM to 94SolGrl Send a message via MSN to 94SolGrl
Re: b16a or b18c, and stay n/a

ok first off, the Si model comes with the D16. Not the B16. The B16a3 comes in the 94 and 95 del Sol DOHC VTEC models. The 96 and 97 del Sol DOHC VTEC models come with the b16a2. As far as power goes, the B18c1 has a little more power than the b16's. The intake air butterflies (IABs) almost feel like a 2 stage VTEC engagement. It's fun times. The b18c5 is your best bet if you're wanting to build a powerful, naturally aspirated motor. High compression, and a very nice motor in general. A little pricey, but the bling factor alone is worth it.

HOW TO POST PICS!
94SolGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:46 PM   #3
vtecsol
AF Newbie

yea the b18c5 would rape my car. but i will give it a run for its money. this summer: all Crower head rebuild. b16's are nice base engines.

Black 1996 del Sol VTEC
Skunk 2: catback, 440g shift knob
Fidanza short throw
Neuspeed N2 header
vtecsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
kicker1_solo
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to kicker1_solo Send a message via Yahoo to kicker1_solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94SolGrl
A little pricey, but the bling factor alone is worth it.
nicely put

Yakima Valley Truck Club Yakima Washington
kicker1_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 08:33 PM   #5
vtecsol
AF Newbie

It's a suprisingly common misconception that the si del sol has the DOHC VTEC, since the Civic Si has the DOHC VTEC. anyone know why they did that?

Black 1996 del Sol VTEC
Fidanza short throw
Neuspeed N2 header
Old 02-27-2006, 07:02 PM   #6
94SolGrl
Honda GODDESS/Global Mod

They named it the del Sol Si because in 1993 when it debuted, the Civic Si had the D16z6, which is what's in the Sol Si. The del Sol DOHC VTEC model was the first honda to be offered with the DOHC VTEC motor, and the first honda or acura to have a b16. The DA integra GSR had a B17a1 I believe, and later the B18a1.

HOW TO POST PICS!
Old 02-27-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
Mattiosmaximos
AF Newbie

94SolGrl -

You know way too much about Del Sols, your kinda scaring me. It's like my man hood is threatend or something.
I have a sol, it might be small and black but atleast I have one.93 DelSol si,Black,Black and red interior theme,Cold air, 4-2-1 header, hpreacing chip mod, HP sp wires, short shifter, clear corner lights, Greddy evo2 exhaust package, soon wheels, tires, struts, springs and stuff.
[i m g]http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...ZkMzF5NTQx.jpg[/i m g]
Mattiosmaximos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
vtecsol
AF Newbie

I know, but why didn't they switch the si's motor to the b16 and add a new mid level sol ex or something? that's what they did with the civic.

Black 1996 del Sol VTEC
Fidanza short throw
Neuspeed N2 header
Old 02-28-2006, 05:08 PM   #9
94SolGrl
Honda GODDESS/Global Mod

Del Sol EX... Del Sol SI... which one sounds better? just kidding. Honestly I'm not sure... it may be because until 1995 the Civic Si was still powered by the D16z6, and they wanted to keep the congruency between the nomenclature of the cars. IE Any honda that says Si is automatically a D16 for the EG chassis. In Japan, the DOHC VTEC del Sol were called SI-R, which makes a lot of sense in honda language. That's the way it's traditionally been... The R is reserved for the fastest cars. GSR integra is only named GSR because it was out before the Type R made its debut in I believe 1994 or 1995 (I know there's no DA Type R, only DC). But the Si-R monicker is reserved for Japanese cars, and the integra is, so far, the only car to hop the pond sporting the Type R badging. USDM honda naming is six shades of messed up. Ever notice that the USDM CR-X's say Civic CR-X, and the USDM del Sols say Civic del Sol (before 1995), yet in Japan it's CR-X del Sol? Yeah... I just leave it as things get lost in translation.

Matt - Don't be threatened... I'm a rare breed among girls. I actually know about cars and apply that knowledge. And there is nothing more fun that watching every jaw of every guy at the drag strip drop when they find out that I actually did most of the wrench time on my car that just beat their mustang.

HOW TO POST PICS!
Old 02-28-2006, 06:19 PM   #10
Mattiosmaximos
AF Newbie

Smile 94SolGrl, I bet thats entertaining,

This forum is a huge help to people like myself who want to do there own work but don't have the knowledge. Up til now all I could do was change the oil and do a basic tune-up. I've learned quite a bit in the last 6 months and hope to keep learning, I think there's nothing more rewarding then firing up my car after adding a mod and taking it for a spin.
Wasn't your car totaled?
Did you get a new one yet?
I have a sol, it might be small and black but atleast I have one.93 DelSol si,Black,Black and red interior theme,Cold air, 4-2-1 header, hpreacing chip mod, HP sp wires, short shifter, clear corner lights, Greddy evo2 exhaust package, soon wheels, tires, struts, springs and stuff.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:24 PM   #11
94SolGrl
Honda GODDESS/Global Mod

Re: 94SolGrl, I bet thats entertaining,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattiosmaximos
This forum is a huge help to people like myself who want to do there own work but don't have the knowledge. Up til now all I could do was change the oil and do a basic tune-up. I've learned quite a bit in the last 6 months and hope to keep learning, I think there's nothing more rewarding then firing up my car after adding a mod and taking it for a spin.
Wasn't your car totaled?
Did you get a new one yet?
You were in my good graces until you brought up Meredith. Big time no no Meredith, my 94 DOHC VTEC model, was totalled on Sept 4, 2004. On Jan 26, 2005 I brought home Heidi, the Sol that I have now. So yes, to answer your poorly stated question, I got a new one. And no, Heidi is no laughing matter. She's vicious, and eats other sols for breakfast.

HOW TO POST PICS!
Old 03-01-2006, 05:28 PM   #12
Mattiosmaximos
AF Newbie

Wink Oops

"You were in my good graces until you brought up Meredith. Big time no no Meredith, my 94 DOHC VTEC model, was totalled on Sept 4, 2004. On Jan 26, 2005 I brought home Heidi, the Sol that I have now. So yes, to answer your poorly stated question, I got a new one. And no, Heidi is no laughing matter. She's vicious, and eats other sols for breakfast."

Yeh I had a girlfriend names Heidi once, she was vicious too. So what is Heidi? Any Facelift pictures to share with the group?? Dirty little secrets?
Hmmmmmmmm??????
Old 03-01-2006, 06:13 PM   #13
94SolGrl
Honda GODDESS/Global Mod

Re: Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattiosmaximos
"You were in my good graces until you brought up Meredith. Big time no no Meredith, my 94 DOHC VTEC model, was totalled on Sept 4, 2004. On Jan 26, 2005 I brought home Heidi, the Sol that I have now. So yes, to answer your poorly stated question, I got a new one. And no, Heidi is no laughing matter. She's vicious, and eats other sols for breakfast."

Yeh I had a girlfriend names Heidi once, she was vicious too. So what is Heidi? Any Facelift pictures to share with the group?? Dirty little secrets?
Hmmmmmmmm??????
Here's the only dirty little secret you need.... and I do mean dirty... damn I'm glad her motor doesn't look this bad anymore.

That was when I had literally JUST gotten the swap done... now, pieces are slowly being replaced...

HOW TO POST PICS!
Old 03-02-2006, 05:22 PM   #14
Mattiosmaximos
AF Newbie

Cool Wow.

Yep that takes the cake , worst then what mine looked like, it's amzing what alittle TLC can do . Hey do you happen to know of a inexpensive full body kit with reasonable shipping? I've looked around and I don't know if I trust the e-bay kits (200+250shipping), the others I've seen are like 700+shipping. You've probably came across a store in your travels around DelSol land. I'm looking for something alittle more flashy then stock and I'm not into graphics on cars. These smiley faces rock!
Old 03-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #15
94SolGrl
Honda GODDESS/Global Mod

with ebay kits, the more expensive ones are usually ok fitment wise. Just check around forums and see if you can find one used is the best way to get em... that's how I got mine... used rear and sides, brand new front that a guy bought and decided he didn't want.

HOW TO POST PICS!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Del Sol