Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 03:24 AM   #61
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
yeah...that all sounds good. ill leave the thinking and labor to you beings i dont have the slightest idea on whats behind the fender of my car. lol. i didnt think you were actually going to attempt it.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 11:22 AM   #62
1viadrft
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: automaticly slow transmissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodo
You two kids stop it. And I can call you both kids becuase thats what you BOTH are acting like. I dont care who started it but I am finishing it. LOOK IT ALL STARTED BECAUSE OF A MISUNDERSTANDING IF YOU CAN CHILL OUT ABOUT IT THEN TAKE SOME TIME AWAY FROM THE FORUMS FOR A WHILE AND GO FOR A DRIVE. You both are acting like a couple of middle school children, and I am that much older than the both of you to say that and mean it.

Now lets try and keep the rest of this civil, please. The last thing we need is some infighting amungst the Z croud, that would make us no better than the Civic kids out there.
Uh... if you hadn't noticed... I'm the one trying tp squash it her, gramps.

And for all you non-believers: YES YOU CAN TO DRIFT AN AT!!!!
Not sure if you guys keep up with OPTION Video, but they had an S13 Silvia Drift Machine with AT drifting and connecting! 'Sides that I have drifted my AT Z32 and I'm sure your pops 'drifted his '69 AT Camaro trying to impress your mom back in the day! 'Nuff said!

My 1994 TT Supra For Sale: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=623105
1viadrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 07:17 PM   #63
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

Re: automaticly slow transmissions

not quite gramps yet, but I could be your dad. :P
Hodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 07:44 AM   #64
JCCR
AF Enthusiast

its all up to the driver. you got to have skills to drive a MT. in the past AT had alot of problems in breaking down but in todays world/tech AT have cought up to MT. making it alot easier.
in my opinion i like MT cause i can always push start my car when need to and to me its just more fun to drive. also if you want to drift you may want a MT instead of automatic. its all about preference.
now most professional racer may want AT cause its one thing less they have to worry about and they can keep there eyes on the road. but lets be realistic in our real world/with the average budget ( not as professional racers) the MT rules.

with an AT you are limited to what the computer says you are allowed to do. with the MT, if there were to be any sudden changes while you drive your brain is the computer and you will adapt to all sudden changes. like down shifting.

from what i read AT with proper gearing are good for drag racing. but who cares if your not a pro and not racing for money. stick with what ever turns you on! we are all different

AT VS MT
http://www.kitcarmag.com/techarticles/0311_trans/
JCCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 05:19 PM   #65
zxdriver99
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to zxdriver99

well put friend.
zxdriver99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 08:51 PM   #66
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

[quote=JCCR] with an AT you are limited to what the computer says you are allowed to do. with the MT, if there were to be any sudden changes while you drive your brain is the computer and you will adapt to all sudden changes. like down shifting.

I just got a new SAW and it allows me to flip a switch and I'm in the manual mode. Two buttons on my steering wheel. I use my horn buttons to up or down shift. It all happens in 2 hundreths of a second. Absolutely no way to change gears unless you push the button, then when you want to go automatic flip the switch and everything is as normal. It's a no-brainer and you keep both hands on the wheel, and one foot on the gas.
But like you say, different strokes for different folks.
Hmmmmm. I wonder if I want a Bud or Miller's, choices always choices.

Last edited by Zgringo; 10-19-2004 at 03:29 PM.
Zgringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 12:24 AM   #67
zxdriver99
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to zxdriver99
Re: Re: Re: automaticly slow transmissions

[quote=Zgringo]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCR
with an AT you are limited to what the computer says you are allowed to do. with the MT, if there were to be any sudden changes while you drive your brain is the computer and you will adapt to all sudden changes. like down shifting.

I just got a new SAW and it allows me to flip a switch and I'm in the manual mode. Two buttons on my steering wheel. I use my cruise control buttons to up or down shift. It all happens in 2 hundreths of a second. Absolutely no way to change gears unless you push the button, then when you want to go automatic flip the switch and everything is as normal. It's a no-brainer and you keep both hands on the wheel, and one foot on the gas.
But like you say, different strokes for different folks.
Hmmmmm. I wonder if I want a Bud or Miller's, choices always choices.
I am intriged by this "SAW" I imagine its not for the average do-it yourselfer, but how much quid do you have to drop for a system like that?? I've always been facinated with the sequencial gear box(like the ones in the WRC), but they are expensive to buy and I wouldnt want to have to pay to fix it either.
zxdriver99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 12:39 AM   #68
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

I have the old one in my race car, but I just got a new one that will be released the first of the year.

http://www.ess-racing.com/

http://www.aus300zxclub.com/tech/saw/saw.htm
Old 10-18-2004, 05:32 PM   #69
1viadrft
AF Fanatic

How well does that system work, ZGringo... I'm actually quite interested! How much did you pay?

My 1994 TT Supra For Sale: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=623105
Old 10-18-2004, 07:49 PM   #70
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1viadrft
How well does that system work, ZGringo... I'm actually quite interested! How much did you pay?
The old system works great, and the new system has some better thing it will do. You won't need a HKS ALC, you can dial in (if you want it) what RPM you want it to shift at, or place it in manual mode, and you have to physicaly push a button to change gears up or down. The new system I haven't tried yet, it's going in my 450ZX. As for price, I don't know, got mine free. (sub-sponser) If enough guys are interested I'll ask for a club price. (I just asked Maciej how much)

Last edited by Zgringo; 10-19-2004 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:33 AM   #71
1viadrft
AF Fanatic

Cool!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)