Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 02:36 PM   #1
CivicRacerX
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to CivicRacerX
Question Magnaflow exhaust?

Has anyone had experience with Magnaflow's exhaust systems? How do they compare to DC Sports/Tanabe etc...???
CivicRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 02:42 PM   #2
Xplocivic
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Xplocivic
Ummm, I know that their cans are OK. I don't know anything about their full cat-back setups. As far as comparing them to DC or Tanabe, those 2 being of the highest quality, I think that Magnaflow would be a couple steps down. Just an opinion, which is what you asked for. Actually, their dual-bomb like can is actually prety nice. A buddy of mine has it.
Old 02-14-2002, 06:07 PM   #3
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
for a domestic app, they are a very nice muffler. very solid design, and if i were buying just the muffler, like you stated, i would go that route... but if i were going full exh, i would go with tanabe, or maybe the jic stuff from overboost.com.
however, the magnaflow stuff is reallllly high quality, but i consider them to be like flowmaster, more for domestics...
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 06:47 PM   #4
ric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ric
yeah magnaflows are dope if your puttin it on a dodge ram or something but as far as imports go get a tanabe or an apexi or a thermal. they are more geared towards our side of the sutomotive world. i could just picture it now, a corvette with an hks dual super dragger exhaust system...hahahhahahahahhhahahaha
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 07:11 PM   #5
CivicRacerX
AF Regular

Without sounding like an idiot, what kind of difference is it that makes it "more for domestics?" I believe you, I'm just curious as to why the cat-back would not be too beneficial, but just the muffler would be a decent choice.

Secondly, maybe you can answer this somewhat related question - my biggest concern is honestly rust on any exhaust I get. I live in Western PA, and winters are never very pretty. I know I can buy OEM-style exhaust systems from a few companies that have a lifetime warranty against rust. Are there any performance exhausts that have something like that? Or are there any that are notorious for rusting out? I just want to make sure that when I do drop $500 on a setup, I can expect to have it for a long time.

Old 02-14-2002, 07:19 PM   #6
ric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ric
Quote:
Originally posted by CivicRacerX
Without sounding like an idiot, what kind of difference is it that makes it "more for domestics?" I believe you, I'm just curious as to why the cat-back would not be too beneficial, but just the muffler would be a decent choice.

Secondly, maybe you can answer this somewhat related question - my biggest concern is honestly rust on any exhaust I get. I live in Western PA, and winters are never very pretty. I know I can buy OEM-style exhaust systems from a few companies that have a lifetime warranty against rust. Are there any performance exhausts that have something like that? Or are there any that are notorious for rusting out? I just want to make sure that when I do drop $500 on a setup, I can expect to have it for a long time.

thermals are all stainless steel so in theory they shouldnt rot out. you deffinatly wanna stay away from stuff like brospeed and matrix and knock off's. anything thats all stainless is gonna be your best shot. im in pittsburgh right now and lived here for 23 years so i know what your sayin. personally im getting an apexi n1, i dont give a flyin sac if its loud or not.

as for why magnaflow and flowmaster are domestic its just because they focus thier cat backs towards the domestic market. sure you could get any muffler and weld it on but you'd be crossing the stereotypical import vs. domestic line and get clowned by someone im sure. personally i wouldnt give a shit but thats your call.
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 07:53 PM   #7
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
im just saying they are typically a muffler company.
however, if they make a full s/s cat back for your car, i would go for it, b/c i know they make a nice exh. i just havent seen one. and they even have good looking mufflers.
but, a tanabe, apex, whatever exh, is designed for your car. dyno tuned for it. if they have one that is specific, and they can get you a dyno chart, and it looks good, no reason not to go with it...
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 11:12 PM   #8
Tominos
AF Enthusiast

i used to have a magnaflow muffler, with a custom catback exhaust. It doesn't sound really good, without the resonator in the exhaust system, it is really raspy at high rpms, but with the resonator in the exhaust system, it is barely louder than stock, just a low hum. As for choosing that or dc sports, or tanabe, i would definitely go with tanabe, b/c those are really high quality and sound very low and deep, but thats just my opinion.
Tominos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 08:41 AM   #9
CivicRacerX
AF Regular

Alright cool, thanks for all the info guys. I think I'll pass on the Magnaflow and look for a more import-friendly setup.