Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 07:53 PM   #1
TOYO
AF Newbie

Unhappy 2000 Sienna Carbon

My 2000 Toyota Sienna van (28,000 miles) has developed carbon deposits from the oil inside of the engine directly below the oil filler cap . My dealer tells me this is normal. Does anyone know if this is correct? Per my understanding it would have to get hotter than @#$% there to creat these deposits. Per my understanding this is the same 3.0L V6 engine that is used in the Camry.
TOYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 03:31 PM   #2
enginerd
AF Enthusiast

I think he's full of it. My Dad's Camry doesn't do that and it has well over 50,000 miles on it. Change your oil more often or switch brands from Pennzoil to something else.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 04:12 PM   #3
CraigFL
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by enginerd
I think he's full of it. My Dad's Camry doesn't do that and it has well over 50,000 miles on it. Change your oil more often or switch brands from Pennzoil to something else.
FWIW, I agree.....
CraigFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 05:35 PM   #4
mg071404red
AF Newbie

From another Sienna owner

I have a 99 LE Sienna 36,000 miles, I think I know the "carbon" that you are talking about. I have the same thing. It is right under the oil filler cap, on the splash shieild/small metal lip that the oil hits when you pour it in? Brown,the consistency of toast? I pulled the valve cover do to the "sludge" scare on 3 liter Toyotas. No sludge, very clean. The "carbon" that I found appeared to be more like some coating that was put their at the factory. Why? My guess is something to help keep the oil from splashing on the back side of the oil filler cap. Don't think you have anything to worry about. If you still are not sure after getting another mechanic to check it out, you could always look at a new valve cover at the parts department of your nearest Toyota dealer to see if it has the same coating.
mg071404red is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical