Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 10:23 PM   #16
tblake
In God We Trust

Send a message via MSN to tblake
Re: amp went into prot. and never came out

your amp is fried. If it keeps blowing fuses as you stated, and is in protection, its an internal amp problem, and cannot be fixed with just simply replacing the fuses. If you keep on sending current to that sucker, its gonna get worse and worse. Just for the sake of arguement, get a buddy's amp, and hook it up in your car with your hookups, if it works, and I bet you that it does, then you know your amp is fired. Although I have already concluded this. If your amp went into protection, and you shut your car off, and an hour later turned it on, and it was still in protect, that rules out heat as being the problem, and the fact that the protect light comes on tells me its getting the power it needs. The amp is fried, I am 99.9% sure. You can all doubt me, but I repair these things for a living. If you want, shoot me a model number, and I can quote you a repair price. Dont trust me? check my ebay feedback, jblake_54.
tblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 11:23 PM   #17
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
I have a magnetic circuit breaker on the amp power line, I love it
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 11:25 PM   #18
Haibane
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Haibane

yeah... I had thought about doing those...
Old 10-03-2004, 01:01 AM   #19
alphalanos
AF Enthusiast

so its most likely fried. what caused that? just a matter of heavy usage over time?
Old 10-03-2004, 12:38 PM   #20
tblake
In God We Trust

could be a number of things. Transistors heat up, and short out. Are you hitting subs that use a lot of the wattage put out by the amp? Is it an old skool amp that might not turn off if it gets hot? Maybe a fried voice coil in a sub caused a lot of current flow, and shorted your amp out. Just to see if the subs arent causing it, unhook them, and try the amp, see if its still in protection. If not, your subs are fried.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:48 PM   #21
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: amp went into prot. and never came out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblake
your amp is fried. If it keeps blowing fuses as you stated, and is in protection, its an internal amp problem, and cannot be fixed with just simply replacing the fuses. If you keep on sending current to that sucker, its gonna get worse and worse. Just for the sake of arguement, get a buddy's amp, and hook it up in your car with your hookups, if it works, and I bet you that it does, then you know your amp is fired. Although I have already concluded this. If your amp went into protection, and you shut your car off, and an hour later turned it on, and it was still in protect, that rules out heat as being the problem, and the fact that the protect light comes on tells me its getting the power it needs. The amp is fried, I am 99.9% sure. You can all doubt me, but I repair these things for a living. If you want, shoot me a model number, and I can quote you a repair price. Dont trust me? check my ebay feedback, jblake_54.
Just because a fuse stops conducting that doesn't mean it's blown....AGU fuses suck ass, they can break just from hitting a pothole, even if no current is being sucked through them at the time. I've "blown" 3 AGU fuses and my amp is in perfect working condition, because in each case the fuse never actually blew, the end just came disconnected from the actual fuse. When I pulled the fuse holder apart it ripped the fuse in half.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 08:41 PM   #22
tblake
In God We Trust

True, but if he does use agu fuses, and he replaced it, wouldnt the amp work? A blown fuse stops all current flow going into the amp, If a fuse blew, the amp would not go into protection. It would simply not light up at all.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:42 PM   #23
alphalanos
AF Enthusiast

i took the pwr wire fuse out and its ok. not broken apart or anything, i tested the wire and it reads 12.8. my sub still works too. still, this is the last time i buy rockford wires. ive had nothing but trouble from them.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:54 PM   #24
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: amp went into prot. and never came out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblake
True, but if he does use agu fuses, and he replaced it, wouldnt the amp work? A blown fuse stops all current flow going into the amp, If a fuse blew, the amp would not go into protection. It would simply not light up at all.

LED's don't take much power to light up, the current from the remote wire would be more than enough to light up the protection LED.

Every time my AGUs broke the amp's protection light came on

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
Old 10-03-2004, 09:59 PM   #25
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphalanos
i took the pwr wire fuse out and its ok. not broken apart or anything, i tested the wire and it reads 12.8. my sub still works too. still, this is the last time i buy rockford wires. ive had nothing but trouble from them.

so you get 12.8V at the amp's power terminal?
how about at the amp's remote terminal?

So the sub still works on somebody else's amp but not on yours, right?

'05 Silver WRX STi
Old 10-03-2004, 10:31 PM   #26
tblake
In God We Trust

True on the protect light, but I'm just saying I've never come across one that lights up protect when the fuse blows. I guess it is possable. It sounds like your amp got too hot, and a, or series of, transistors shorted out. What type and model number is this amp?
Old 10-03-2004, 10:38 PM   #27
Haibane
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Haibane

my amps had always went into protect when the fuse blew out...
Old 10-04-2004, 03:16 PM   #28
Mannyb18b
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Mannyb18b Send a message via MSN to Mannyb18b

my amp when into protect when mine blew
Mannyb18b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 10:28 PM   #29
tblake
In God We Trust

I've never had it happen before. Are we talking the fuse inline with the power, or are we talking the fuse or fuses on the amp itself?
Old 10-05-2004, 12:03 AM   #30
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

I'm talking about the one in the power cable

'05 Silver WRX STi

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio