Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
MRWSM
AF Newbie

2004 Grand Prix can I replace original gas cap for locking gas cap

Hello, I just bought this 2004 Grand Prix GT and noticed there is no locking gas cap. There is a plastic wire attached to the original gas cap. Does this plastic wire have any electronics inside that sense anything? I would like to rip this off and install an after market locking gas cap. I'm just afraid if I rip that wire it may be connected to a sensor or something.

BTW These 2004 and up Grand Prix's drive really nice, super tight yet just as smooth as my 2000 Bonneville. I didn't know how good they drive.
MRWSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:55 AM   #2
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

Re: 2004 Grand Prix can I replace original gas cap for locking gas cap

NO, there shouldn't be anything in the strap itself as there is nothing in the cap. It should pull off fairly easily. I would hold on to the cap in case the locking cap doesn't seal properly.
GTP Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP Dad
NO, there shouldn't be anything in the strap itself as there is nothing in the cap. It should pull off fairly easily. I would hold on to the cap in case the locking cap doesn't seal properly.
I've seen many aftermarket caps not seal properly and end up triggering your SES light. It might be better, if you are looking into a locking gas cap , to purchase it locally in case you have to return it because it's not sealing properly, rather than having to go through the extra expense, aggravation ,and time returning it from an online source,(especially eBay where many sellers have a "no return " policy.)

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

The strap is just a tether to keep you from leaving the gas cap at the station. It has no wiring or sensors in it.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:51 AM   #5
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtazz
The strap is just a tether to keep you from leaving the gas cap at the station. It has no wiring or sensors in it.
Now all they need to do is come up with a strap to tether the gas door on cars so people won't forget to close them after fueling and drive off down the highway with it open.

Those straps drive nuts however. I amso used to "propping" the gas cap on the fuel nozzle's handle while getting gas so I could do other things,( wash windows, get out of the -30 temps in the wintertime, etc) but these straps are just short enough to not permit you to do that anymore. I often wondered if they purposely did that to keep people from doing what I did. I know that's not a good thing to do but it's a force of habit I guess.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
Old 01-31-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

How about a retractable one, like the maintenance guy keychains?

They actually make them short on purpose to prevent just whay you suggest. This forces the driver to be within eyeshot of the pump handle in case the auto-shut off fails so fuel doesn't shoot everywhere.

I have always rolled my eyes at all the warning signs at gas stations, until I witnessed a massive fire caused by a cell phone first hand. A guy was pumping gas at a station across the street from me, and the whole station lit up in a massive fireball when he answered his cell.
He had an obnoxious ring tone that caught my attention. I looked up just as the fireball ignited. I actually felt the heat from it, and amazingly, the guy was treated for minor burns only and no one else was hurt.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:21 PM   #7
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtazz
How about a retractable one, like the maintenance guy keychains?

They actually make them short on purpose to prevent just whay you suggest. This forces the driver to be within eyeshot of the pump handle in case the auto-shut off fails so fuel doesn't shoot everywhere.

I have always rolled my eyes at all the warning signs at gas stations, until I witnessed a massive fire caused by a cell phone first hand. A guy was pumping gas at a station across the street from me, and the whole station lit up in a massive fireball when he answered his cell.
He had an obnoxious ring tone that caught my attention. I looked up just as the fireball ignited. I actually felt the heat from it, and amazingly, the guy was treated for minor burns only and no one else was hurt.
That and fueling separate gas cans in the vehicle. The risk of static electricity is so great . I've seen PSA on tv about this. They say to place the containers on the ground to fuel, and if you should go inside your vehicle during the fueling operation, when you get out, touch a metal portion of your vehicle to discharge any built up static electricity before you touch the fuel nozzle/handle. Those warning signs are only as good as the ones who actually read and follow them. The ones that do not are the ones who actually those signs are meant for.

" A Good Thing To Know"
Old 01-31-2008, 11:26 PM   #8
MRWSM
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated.
MRWSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:00 AM   #9
BNaylor
AF Moderator

MRWSM,

Have you checked your PM messages? It highly recommended not to disregard a PM message from an AF Moderator. The issue is concerning the advertisement contained in your signature. I sent you a PM message over 12 hours ago requesting that you remove the link within 12 hours or it will be done for you along with any further action deemed necessary for failure to timely respond and comply.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix