Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
Kasebrot
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Kasebrot
Exclamation Ford E-150 LA West Tire Problem

Hello there. I have an interesting tire issue with my LA West E-150 conversion van. It's an '02. Lately I've been getting random flat tires. I have been replacing a tire now almost every month. One day I'll check it and it will be completely flat. When I change the tire, there is nothing puncturing it however, I notice that when I take the tire off of the rim the threads inside the tire are shredded. This does not happen on any rim in particular, last month I had to replace driver side rear and just last week I had to replace passenger side front. All have the thread shredding issues, no nails in them or anything. I have tried BF Goodrich tires and Dunlop. All do the same thing. I have the "PRIME" brand rims that came with the van. A few of my buddies think it's a camber issue but when I remove the tire, there is no odd or uneven tread wear. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I am getting tired of dumping money into tires and tires for this E-150 aren't cheap.
Kasebrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:25 AM   #2
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

Re: Ford E-150 LA West Tire Problem

The "threads" you are seeing inside is evidence that the tire was operated flat - nothing more.

The first thing you should do is make sure your rims are air tight - by immersing them (with the tire inflated) in a pool of water - those kiddy pools work well for this.

I'll bet the rims are leaking - either around the tire / rim interface or through the casting. You have to be patient when looking for these leaks.

And as a precaution: If the van sits for more than a week, check the tires BEFORE you operate it. Bring an air tank and inflate any low ones BEFORE you move it.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels