Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Kit Cars
Kit Cars Replicas, rebodies, customs or engineering. Talk about it all here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 04:26 AM   #1
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Anyone here own a Kit car?

I own a Lynx Twin cam, which is a Toyota Powered, Triumph Herald based Kit made in the style of a Lotus 7, there were only about 50odd made so its actualy a rare car.
Any other Kit car owners out there? it would be great to compare notes?
Old 07-10-2001, 02:14 PM   #2
enzo@af
Old Mod

Send a message via ICQ to enzo@af Send a message via AIM to enzo@af
I'd really like to, but time, money, space, and a million other reasons prevent me from doing so. About two years ago a few buddies and I pooled a few grand together to buy an assembled (but no engine) 917 kit. It was badass, painted in blue and orange just like the Gulf ones, but unfortunately by the time we got in contact with the guy it was sold. Damn.
Old 12-27-2001, 04:14 AM   #3
Webmaster_Zeus
AF Enthusiast

can we c a pic of your kit car?
Webmaster_Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 10:20 PM   #4
YellowMaranello
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to YellowMaranello
Yeah, I'm curious too to see this Lynx. Got any pics Moppie?
YellowMaranello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 09:49 AM   #5
zigman2
AF Newbie

Re: Anyone here own a Kit car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppie
I own a Lynx Twin cam, which is a Toyota Powered, Triumph Herald based Kit made in the style of a Lotus 7, there were only about 50odd made so its actualy a rare car.

Hi there, We too have just added a 'triumph Lynx' to our garage, and are wondering about the history, and componentory set up, ie where was it built etc. Ours is also running a toyota twin cam, 1600, and has a five speed celica gear box on a Triumph Herald. Wev'e been looking for two weeks, and this is the first site we have come by that has any mention of the Lynx Kit Car. Any info you are able to forward would be greatly appreciated,
Cheers, Carol & Ziggy
zigman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 07:50 AM   #6
kitmodder
AF Newbie

mysite.freeserve.com/ptfmotorsport

visit the above for pics of mine. Comments and questions welcome.
kitmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 12:03 PM   #7
-FROG-
AF Regular

I think I got red X'd but if not.......

Mine's on the right. The black one is a real Countach, but Euro-Works (the manufacturer of mine) is accurate in every detail.

Also in my sig below:
-FROG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 01:42 AM   #8
hashpad
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Anyone here own a Kit car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigman2
Hi there, We too have just added a 'triumph Lynx' to our garage, and are wondering about the history, and componentory set up, ie where was it built etc. Ours is also running a toyota twin cam, 1600, and has a five speed celica gear box on a Triumph Herald. Wev'e been looking for two weeks, and this is the first site we have come by that has any mention of the Lynx Kit Car. Any info you are able to forward would be greatly appreciated,
Cheers, Carol & Ziggy
Hi there, we have one too, with a datsun A12 motor, there are about 2 others in the club (sports car club of NZ, www.sccnz.co.nz). i'll be doing a body off-restore this winter.
hashpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
Stumpy12
AF Newbie

Hi, I have Chevron Kit car,Toyota powered with a 3SGE, this car was built in 1990 and I purchased it a few months ago. Have spent quite a few hours rebuilding it and have joined the sccnz, and looking forward to my first race day coming up in June. It is registered for the road and is a blast to drive, plan to do some testing days first before race day so as not to make a complete egg of myself.
Stumpy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:58 AM   #10
lynxgal
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppie
Hi , I am the owner of what we suspect is number 2 of the 100 Lynx kits made in Auckland. My car at the moment is off the road as the original chassis rusted out, it was taken off the road approx 8 years ago. The Lynx kits were made in Auckland and as my father was one of the original owners, as well as doing the upholstery for the majority of them, it would be great to track these cars down. My car has the original Triumph Herald 13/60 motor and is Red, with the old floorpan. Are any of the other LYNX owners out there interested in getting together with other owners? I am wanting to track down other owners with a view to re-forming the Lynx Car Club. At the very least Would be fantastic to track down all the remaining cars.
lynxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
manukatree
AF Newbie

I have just purchased a lynx. It is on a truimph chassis. powered by a modified 2ltr SOHC Datsun, skyline gearbox and diff. Just had wet weather gear made for it so it can be a bit more user friendly. Fun to drive am looking forward to doing a trackday sometime.
manukatree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #12
PhilMH
AF Newbie

Another new Lynx owner here - Powered by Celica 1600GT (2TG twincam, twin sidedrafts, 5-speed) with a Datsun 180B diff, otherwise 1965 Herald. Busily rebuilding the engine over summer - it had been replaced with a clapped out pushrod version and an ugly hole cut to let the carb poke out the top! Lynxgal - I've sent you an email re: the register.
PhilMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #13
aztec7fan
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Anyone here own a Kit car?

I own a Fiberfab Aztec 7. Lots of fun to drive!! Here's more info:
http://www.geocities.com/aztec7fan/
aztec7fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:41 PM   #14
rustyglen
AF Newbie

Hello All

To those of you who own a Lynx Kit car, while not the original designer, I was part of the original team of three to bring this car to market. Along with Bob Bateman and Kevin Martinelli.
Sadly im not sure if Bob is still with us as he was not a well man when I left NZ 3 years ago.
I can provide some history to the earliest days of its creation and how Western Glass fiber Products was formed and established for a short while in Henderson to manufacture the Lynx.

We first launched the car to the public at the Auckland Motor show held at the green land showgrounds, we had a small stand in the Marquee line along
the front lawn near what is now the Logan Cambell center.

One of the persons on this string is a lady whose father did indeed do most of the trim work and to this day Gary is a very long time friend of mine and in fact did trim work on a camper van I restored as recent as 2012, just before I immigrated to the USA, where im now living.

In 2003 i tracked down some of the original molds in fact the main body mold was set up on a rotisserie type from and as lick would have it was being stored in a friends barn in Massey. Sadly he did not own it and was storing it for another friend and unfortunately the other molds to build a complete car were not with it.
I have very strong ties to a fiberglass manufacturer in Hamilton who builds car bodies and if anyone were interested in let us mold their lynx we could bring it back or at least have molds available to make spare parts.

incidentally I found this thread as I was deliberately searching for any info on our lynx or a lynx for sale in NZ.

Interestingly enough im just about to set up another composite car manufacturing operation here in the US.

If any Lynx owners find this post and wish to know more, please feel free to PM me it will come to my US email.
Id love to hear from you.

Kind Regards
Stuart R "Rusty" Glen
rustyglen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rustyglen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2015, 03:58 AM   #15
LynxNZ
AF Newbie

Hi All
I have just re-purchased my 1st car... a Western Glassfibre Lynx which my brother and I built in 1988/89 when I was 18yrs old.
Kit number 70 and I believe it was the 1st to be built in the South Island.
It has 1.6L Toyota 2TG twin-cam motor with 5 spd & Datsun 180b diff
I sold the Lynx in 2000 to fund purchase of S1 Lotus Esprit prototype (body #6) search "Esprit 106j" to view.
I also have a Eureka F4 which I have put in a 2L Subaru with Garrett turbo.
Other cars are an Austin 8 & Austin 8 Van.
But my Lynx holds a special place as it was my 1st car, it hasn't been looked after but I'm bringing it back to life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lynx.jpg (69.4 KB, 7 views)
LynxNZ is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Kit Cars