Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 07:08 AM   #1
Cookster007
AF Regular

The Martini Project - Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ Coda Tronca - 1962 Daytona 3 Hour

I have been hanging around here for a while now, so it is time I put my money and time (what little I have of both...anyone with 3 teenagers will know what I mean ) where my mouth is.

I have been making models on and off for many years, across all genres, but never with a real goal. This is probably why I tended to lose interest from time to time.

My real passion is classic cars, particularly historic racing cars, so I've now set myself a goal (probably beyond the capability of ever finishing it, though). I'm going to try and model a chronological history, in 1/24 scale (as much as possible) of Martini Racing Team and Martini sponsored vehicles (did I mention that I'll probably never be able to complete it? )

So, on with it.

The first vehicle sponsored, or fielded, by The Martini & Rossi Racing Team was the 1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ Coda Tronca - two of them in fact- in the 1962 Daytona 3 Hour. I'll be starting with the No. 82 vehicle driven by Paul Richards, and finishing 26th overall.

(Image sourced from: www.racingsportscars.com)

I'm using Profil24's Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ with some additions:

This model will be full of firsts for me as I have never built a resin kit and I will be adding a fair bit of extra detail using materials that I have never used.

To start, the rear wheel arches needed to be modified. After sanding back the flaired arches I then reshaped them using a combination of styrene sheet and epoxy putty (have never used this before either).

Below are the results before and after:

Comments, tips, hints and constructive criticism welcome.

Cheers
Anthony
Cookster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:41 PM   #2
ianc911
AF Enthusiast

Re: The Martini Project - Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ Coda Tronca - 1962 Daytona 3 Hour

Looking good so far. Hope you have better luck with the Alfa than I've had with Profil24 so far. I'm building their '66 906L (on again off again) right now and it's absolute rubbish, one of the worst kits I've ever worked on. Good luck with it, looks like an interesting project!

ianc
ianc911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:27 PM   #3
da_ashman
AF Enthusiast

Re: The Martini Project - Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ Coda Tronca - 1962 Daytona 3 Hour

Sounds like an Awesome project!!!

It's Not wheather you Win or Lose, its how you look while you play the Game
da_ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:34 AM   #4
Martini Man
AF Regular

awesome!

you KNOW i'm following this one.

Paul
Martini Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:56 AM   #5
GTRfan01
AF Regular

Great project, i will be watching this one!
It's a good time of year to start a big project like this one with our weather anyway (i'm also in Tasmania!)
GTRfan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:14 AM   #6
Cookster007
AF Regular

Thanks Gentlemen,

Will try to keep regular updates, but this isn't going to be a quick build. Only progress over the last week has been a bit more cleaning up, sanding and filling. Hope to have something worthwhile to show by end of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc911 View Post
Hope you have better luck with the Alfa than I've had with Profil24 so far. I'm building their '66 906L (on again off again) right now and it's absolute rubbish, one of the worst kits I've ever worked on. Good luck with it, looks like an interesting project!

ianc
Can't really comment yet as I have nothing to compare against as I haven't built with resin before, although plastic seems to be a bit more forgiving and easier to work with. I hope it doesn't prove too painful a build as I need to get a few more of this kit yet.

Cheers,

Anthony
Old 05-24-2016, 04:50 AM   #7
GTRfan01
AF Regular

i have a small tip for you with working with the resin.
Not that the epoxy putty isn't good, but I have found CA glue (superglue) mixed with talc to be a great filler. strong quick, easy to sand and you can vary the ratio to get the consistency you want for the particular job you're doing at the time.
oh and cheap!
GTRfan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GTRfan01 For This Useful Post:
Cookster007 (05-24-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 02:20 AM   #8
Cookster007
AF Regular

Very brief update.

Aside from the wheel arches, the next major issue to rectify was that the firewall did not line up with the rear of the engine bonnet/hood opening:

Added a piece of styrene to the rear of the engine opening and filled resulting gap between top of firewall and body with epoxy putty (Wow! I didn't realise how old I look in this photo..):

Really happy with how the rear of the engine opening came along:

I also wasn't happy with how bulky the moulding for the windscreen frame was so I have sanded and filled this area and will pick out the frame with chrome BMF.

Next I will add some detail to the underside of the bonnet/hood and then add some hinges.

Cheers,

Anthony
Old 09-05-2016, 07:44 AM   #9
Cookster007
AF Regular

Back again...finally. Unfortunately have been unable to get anything really done for a while, but have managed to sit back down and get little bit done.

So here is a very small update. Added a bit of detail under the bonnet/hood and some hinges. Hinges made from small paper clips as these had pretty much the right size and shape needed...unfortunately I didn't get the bonnet to open up completely vertical as it should, but I'm not going to muck around with it anymore.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:29 AM   #10
Cookster007
AF Regular

Update:
Couple of light coats of grey primer to show up any faults, sanded and then white primer applied:

Ready for body colour.

Started work on the underside.
Didn't like the moulded in exhaust system so removed with dremel.

Will now add a bit of detail that was missing because of the exhaust or the removal of it, and then will scratch build a new exhaust system.

Cheers,
Anthony
Old 09-24-2016, 08:09 AM   #11
Niro750
AF Regular

Great work. Coming along nicely
Niro750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:28 PM   #12
ianc911
AF Enthusiast

Great work and dedication so far! The last photo makes it look like the rear driver's side wheel arch could use just a touch more work?

Ian
ianc911 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports