Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 02:54 PM   #1
George1
AF Newbie

head scratcher

Perplexing situation.

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE.

Two problems:
1. Passenger side door electric window switch worked intermittantly. As did the master switch on the driver's door for the right door switch. When the right door switch worked, it was slow.

2. About every 5-10 times I went to start the car I would turn the ignition switch and nothing would happen. Silence. Then it would start. Sometimes it would take 3 or 4 turns before it would start. Most of the time it would start on first try. $$$$$$ to have the problem diagnosed and could be lots more to fix the problem. Decided to live with it as the car would always eventually start. Battery fine but did not run any other electrical system tests.

Soooo-replaced the window switch-$20.00. Starting problem went away. Windows only operate when ignition switch is on of course. Ignition problem started a few months after the window switch started acting up.

Is it just coincidence that the ignition problem seemed to be solved by replacing the window switch or did replacing the window switch actually solve the starting problem?

Thanks
George1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #2
Alphabravo
AF Regular

Re: head scratcher

If I would venture to guess, and it's only a guess, it's that the faulty switch somehow caused the BCM to not recognize your key. Could be that it caused to much resistance, or what have you. But wow, that is bizarre. Either way, I'm glad you got it fixed, even if by accident.
Alphabravo is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager