Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:44 PM   #1
Vtec 4 Life
AF Newbie

Question TH400 trans. w/ ratchet shifter question...

I know that the TH400 transmission is 3 spd. and have a good idea about how the ratchet shifter works with it. However, after watching this video with Hal's SC300, I've become a little confused. Can someone tell me (based on the video) what gears he used in during the burnout and especially what gear did he ratchet into after the burnout before the video faded to him at the light (when he ratcheted the shifter 4 times). Also, if you don't mind, what you think that button on his shifter is. I would just like to build up my knowledge of this because at the moment I know nothing. Thanks in advance. Here's the link to the video...
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/d...3b00e9e692.htm
-Amoe
Vtec 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:48 AM   #2
Torch
AF Regular

Re: TH400 trans. w/ ratchet shifter question...

Yes the TH400 is a three speed, what he did after the short burn out when it looks like he shifted four times was he was just making sure it was in first gear by tapping it a couple of times, I do the same thing on my motorcycle (trying to take off in 2nd gear is embarrassing to say the least).

After the burn out he has what appears to be a wheel lock on a remote control that locks up the front wheels to get the engine spinning high, after that things happen fast.

After he takes off he taps it into 2nd and then hits that button on top of the shifter, if you listen closely you will hear the engine go from a normal acceleration to screaming as the car flies down the strip (that would be Nitrous Oxide gas), a quick trip in and out of 2nd, then into third and then he finishes it off and shuts it down.
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
Vtec 4 Life
AF Newbie

Thanks a lot Torch. So basically after the short burnout all he did was put the car into 1st and the extra ratcheting he was doing was just making sure the car was 1st rite? I also know exactly what you mean, my girlfriend and myself had a little argument while I was driving and when I stopped at the light car was in 3rd. From all the commotion didn't realize the car was still in 3rd and took off at the green. Truely understood the meaning of embarrasment...lol.
Vtec 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
Torch
AF Regular

You're welcome.

Yes it appears that all he was doing was making sure it was in 1st gear.
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical