Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
lbullman1963
AF Newbie

98 Astro stalling

Hi, I cou;d use some help on this one. The van ran for about 10 minutes on the highway and acted like it ran out of fuel. I had a 1/4 tank. I restarted it and it ran for about 30 seconds and acted as same. towed home. It had sat for the day and restarted it. Ran for 4 minutes and stalled. It will restart and immediatley stall. If I let it sit an hour it will run for 4 minutes and repeat the stalling scenario.
No security lights, no codes. Fuel pressure test gives me 60lbs when started it falls to 51lbs after the 4 minutes it drops off to less than 40lbs and stalls.. what to check next?
lbullman1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: 98 Astro stalling

Fuel pressure needs to be 58 PSIG minimum to start. That's the pressure needed to overcome the poppet valves in the injector/spider assembly. Since the pressure seems to drop off after it's been running briefly, I'd suspect a resistive electrical connection is dropping voltage in the fuel pump circuit. that can be anywhere from the bussing in the underhood electrical center (UEC) to the pump itself. The easy thing to do is swap the FP relay with the horn relay to eliminate that possibility. After that, there is an electrical connector just forward of the fuel tank. That can be disconnected and inspected, and if necessary the connector can be back-probed while connected to monitor fuel pump voltage. If the voltage drops off at that connector, start looking forward to the wiring, relay, and UEC connections. If the pump voltage at that point remains constant, look at the connector directly on top of the tank. It has a bad reputation, and there is a factory TSB for repairing it due to overheating and resistance.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
lbullman1963
AF Newbie

Thanks Blue that helps with the next step. I 're performed the test and had different result. Please comment. ..
The pump is and then was energizing when turning the ignition on and in the off position. It started not operating during the last test and turning the key on and off 5-6 times. This morning it energized on first turn. I will do the electrical test tonight.
Also if u have any suggestions on this.... I bought this van 3 weeks ago and there was no gas cap and the fuel gauge is working backwards. I bought a cap and after using it for a day it started hesitating. Took the cap off and it about blew out of my hands so much pressure in the tank. Checked the lines underneath. One had a clamp they did not get over the hose at the nipple was actually pinching the line closed. I believe that was the vent line. Problem has still not gone away. So I am going to find out what's up. I did get a new code P000452 which is the tank pressure sensor.
if you have any suggestions for that I would appreciate it. Thanks Mike.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #4
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Between the vent/purge, return, and pressure lines on the tank, only the return and vent/purge lines could possibly be reversed since the fittings are the same size. This is what the tank top unit looks like:

Unfortunately, the only way to get to it is to drop the tank. I've been there several times on my Astro for the connector, a pump, and a fuel level sender, and then a second pump.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
lbullman1963
AF Newbie

Thanks. Getting it running is imperative only way I have to make a living. I'll keep u updated. Looks like tomorrow is the only day I can get to it. Thanks so much. P.S. I noticed on the fuse box under the hood that they have put a large wire on the ground and it runs to the pass. Side of the engine. They have also done some work on the tank. Appears there may have been a leak they repaired.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies