Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Tahoe
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 09:01 AM   #1
whw47
AF Newbie

2013 Tahoe oil pressure warning

My daughters 2013 Tahoe gave an oil warning light and a low oil pressure warning and she stopped and called for help..she was told it was probably sending unit a common problem She started again and it as normal so she drove home.....I went over and checked oil and it was good but needed changing. she has appt at shop but i decided to change oil and filter,

Last edited by whw47; 06-03-2021 at 06:30 PM.
whw47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:55 AM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: 2013 Tahoe oil pressure warning

Oil pressure switch is cheap and they are known for going out. You can rent a kit or even pick one up at harbor freight to verify oil pressure. It will end up screwing in to where the sender is anyway
Old 05-25-2021, 12:43 PM   #3
whw47
AF Newbie

Thanks , what i'm worried about now is when engine is started cold , it takes 5 seconds for red oil light to go off then shows good pressure ...then as i run engine till it gets to running temp, the oil pressure gradually goes from 30 something down to just above the 20 mark...when she was getting the warnings yesterday, pressure was just under that 20 mark(at idle, goes back up to 40 with accelaration)...could there be a prob with pick up tube? or is that something the sending unit may cause?
Old 05-27-2021, 08:40 PM   #4
whw47
AF Newbie

Took it to shop yesterday.. They determined it is not the Sending unit...since the original problem was pressure loss below 20, there was a possibiity of an O ring on the oil pickup tube..They had a check for that and seems not that either...Since its doing find since the oil change , im wondering if the delay of an oil change could be issue.She has driven it all day with good pressure and no other issue. .
Old 05-28-2021, 07:28 AM   #5
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Another consideraton - All oil is not the same.

Some of the "synthetic" oils are not a synthesized base, like polyalphaolefin, but merely highly refined petroleum. Polymers added to mineral oils break down, allowing viscosity instability. These are the "synthetics" which should still be changed at 3,000 mile intervals, not extended ranges.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Bowtie For This Useful Post:
whw47 (05-28-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 04:22 PM   #6
whw47
AF Newbie

Update: Someone suggested I consider the in-dash guages and gave a contact to check on that...He readily dismissed that and said those Tahoes had oil pressure issues due to cam bearings . She has been driving the car a few days after the oil change with no Oil pressure warnings so at this point it seems the oil change corrected it . Nobody has toLd me if the pressure of 23 or so is normal running pressure ...when starting engine, pressure is 30-35 something but after heating up , it runs a little over the 20 mark on the dash guage Thanks for any help understanding this

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Tahoe