Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Oldsmobile Classics
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
cutlasscrazy
AF Newbie

Trying to save my 98 cutlass

I am almost at my end with this car...but i am willing to invest a bit more if it means getting this car running....so i have a 98 Cutlass V-6 and the original engine died at about 155K think i threw a rod or broke a piston thing clank n clunk so bad.

So i put a new-used 99 engine in it and it had all the same problems that the old engine had...so i fixed everything that was wrong on the old engine. So the only problem i have is this Tapping on the passenger side of the engine. it does while idle and when driving..

So the question is what could be causing this tapping are these engine known for having this problem. i have had two engines and both have this tapping problem. I am thinking it could be the Push Rods, lifters or the rocker arms but i want to know if there are any test i can do to narrow it down....PLEASE HELP
l
cutlasscrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
procaddytech
AF Regular

Re: Trying to save my 98 cutlass

A quick and easy test is to run the engine with the accessory drive belt off to eliminate a noisey accessory, i.e. a belt tensioner or a/c compressor esp. if they were swapped to the replacement engine.
procaddytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
cutlasscrazy
AF Newbie

Re: Trying to save my 98 cutlass

I know that's not the case B/C i took all that stuff off the old engine...and it was new stuff every pulley and the belt... the knocking is def. inside the engine.
cutlasscrazy is offline   Reply With Quote