Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 06:26 AM   #16
howardra
AF Newbie

Re: Alero Fuel filter

There is a spcial tool you can get at auto parts store.
I found my answers on answers.com- This is what I found:
The fuel system is pressurized! Before doing any service, relieve the pressure by starting the engine and removing the fuel pump fuse or relay while the engine is running, the car should die after a few moments. Also, it's probably advisable to remove the gas cap and disconnect the battery after depressurizing the system(make sure you know your radio's theft-lock code before disconnecting the battery!).

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_t...#ixzz1WK0zj0Mq
howardra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:31 PM   #17
jwpucke
AF Newbie

I just spent 3 days trying to remove the fuel filter off my Son's 1999 Alero 2.4 . I did some digging on the internet before I attempted so I had an idea of what to do with the black plastic quick connect fitting but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the filter off. I have a company car so this car has hardly been driven in the last 9 years (80K miles) so there wasn't any corrosion or rust so I thought it would be easy to remove. After a couple trips to the parts store to get some fuel line removal tools (Got both the metal scissors type and the plastic type). The metal scissors was too wide and I couldn't get it to fit between the filter and the quick connect so I thought I'd try the plastic type. I thought I could shave down the length of the plastic cylinder to make it fit. Still didn't work.

I found a post where a guy just broke it off and pulled it apart so i thought I'd try that.. I broke the tabs off but couldn't get the inside black piece out so I don't recommend breaking the tabs off if you can help it. So, to get the filter off I took a small pair of needle nose pliers and put it between the fuel filter and the black ring (what was left of the black quick connect adapter. I was able to hold the pliers and filter in my right hand and the quick connect in my left hand. I pushed the fuel filter and quick connect together to relieve pressure on the metal tines inside the quick connect and at the same time I pushed the pliers toward the filter which pushed the black ring inside the quick connect. I could actually hear the metal tines inside the connect click as the black ring was being pushed inside. while holding the pliers against the filter which was keeping pressure on the black ring I pulled the quick connect away and they came apart. I had to try a few different times but it only took about 3 minutes of trying compared to the 2 days with all the tools.

i was then able to just put the new filter in with the black ring still in there. That filter lasted for 16 years so I hope I never have to change it again.
jwpucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:26 PM   #18
georgelinkcon
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernalklink View Post
I have an 1999 alero 2.4 and i just finishing my tune up, and i was replacing the fuel filter. the factory filter is still inplace on the car and it is ridiculous. the filter has a flare and nut on one side and the other side is some sort of black spring like lock. any suggestions for easy removal of this damn clip. i have managed to break 2 of the plastic tabs off trying to remove it. i figured that you had to spread the whole thing for removal and in doing so i pulled too hard and broke to tabs off. i really need to get this figured out i hve to work in like 3 hours(ha) and i have a fuel filter just hanging below my car half broken?
please please someone must know an easy way for removal.
Taken form Heyness repair manual.
georgelinkcon is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero