Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #16
Scuderia.
AF Regular

Re: Where do you build?

I did my room a few years ago and found kitchen bench tops and cabinets work well.

Main room has an L shaped bench top with a cabinet underneath at one end and a full height cabinet at the other. I plan to put a display unit in the corner next to the full height cabinet. I keep my models and details in the tall cabinet, and all the other stuff in the cabinet under the bench.

There is also another small room under the stairs. I put another bench top in there with a cabinet under it. That is where I keep my paints, spray booth and dehydrator.
I keep my spray booth on the left (not in the pic) and paint on shelves on the right. There is a hole in the wall so the booth exits outside.

I have a main light in the room and also two wall mounted adjustable spot lights over the bench tops. In the small room I have two down lights.
If I had my time again I would also have a couple of down lights over the bench top in the main room. They are cheap and you can never have too much light.
Scuderia. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #17
avd
AF Regular

Well this is my room that I build on that desk and I go paint in garage pretty much.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #18
da_ashman
AF Enthusiast

Firstly: Why the hell are all your desks so damn clean & tidy?

Secondly: There are some damn nice steups there! Iceracers is my fav so far, Scuderia's is a very close second (might go to first if that is a genuine RedBull F1 wing mounted on the wall?)

It's Not wheather you Win or Lose, its how you look while you play the Game
da_ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #19
Scuderia.
AF Regular

My bench is not normally that tidy, certainly isn't at the moment.
Genuine wing, from Webber's RB3. Got it before they started winning races/championships, so it wasn't stupidly expensive (although the shipping was).
Scuderia. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scuderia. For This Useful Post:
da_ashman (10-30-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 04:55 AM   #20
stratos75
Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_ashman View Post
Firstly: Why the hell are all your desks so damn clean & tidy?...
Look at my table (post #4)
da_ashman (10-30-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 08:32 AM   #21
kans0002
AF Regular

We just moved into a new house and my wife gave me an entire room to set up shop in! Not many of my friends build models so they cannot appreciate the luxury of having a whole room to call your own. I used to have to build on a kitchen table!

Two main desks to work from. My paint booth isn't fully set up quite yet.

Lots of space to display my completed models

Some display boxes on top of my supplies cabinets

I picked up this awesome glass display case for $100 when my local hobby store closed. I love the case, but wish the shop was still open.

Computer desk.

As it has already been said, I also like seeing where other people build to help inspire new ideas for my own room.

Stu
kans0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #22
da_ashman
AF Enthusiast

So seeing as most people seem to have very tidy spaces I decided to spend a few hours tidying up & took a few pics! (my wife said shes never seen it this tidy)
When we brought our first home 3 yrs ago, I was given the spare room as my space, now ive been informed that our 2 yr son will be moving in here & ill be moving to.... TBC

Cat keeping me company (his names Nismo - yip bit of a nissan fan)

My "photobooth"

My brand new airbrushing booth, its massive! 1m (3ft) wide!!!

My mobile workstation - mostly used for decals etc

Daytime view - sadly i rarely get a chance to sit down & model during the day with this nice view. (My other hobby somewhat more inforced is that garden outside, which requires alot of work)

My display cases - scored them from my Father-inlaw whoose jewellery business closed!

The Ever expanding TO DO pile!

The Slowly expanding completed pile...

I must admit Ive come along way - this was my mancave at my last house 4 yrs ago just after I got my display cases.

Before the cabinets this is where they lived - on top of the dryer!!!

Cheers
Ash

It's Not wheather you Win or Lose, its how you look while you play the Game
da_ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #23
keveuh
AF Regular

OMG a hole room dedicated to modeling ! You're a lucky guy, not for so long according to what you said. Amazing gear some of you guys have I'd like to have even half of it, especially the nice displays.

As for me I have a little corner in my wife and I's bedroom, I have my spraybooth stored in a closet, my stinky paints stored with my spray cans and my "drying box" in another closet. So I do the best I can with what I have. I don't have a pic right now of my corner, I'll try to post one in a few days because I have some tools coming still.
keveuh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keveuh For This Useful Post:
da_ashman (11-07-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 02:45 AM   #24
Tompidom
AF Enthusiast

Well its not as tidy as in the pictures, And i have a quite a bit more kits in the stash

Mmm I think that I need to take some new photo's, These are a bit outdated
TBC.......

My online webshop
www.thescalemodeler.com
Tompidom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #25
Adam Baker
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Adam Baker Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Baker

Here's my setup. These were taken a couple of weeks after moving into our current apartment last year. Desk is a 6' long piece of formica counter top mounted to the wall, so no legs to worry about hitting, and then i have a 10" wide shelf on the back of it.

And a few pic's of the stash which is in a closet next to the bench.

Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #26
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

This is my modelling area in the spare room. It's not ideal as it's a bit cramped, but it's better than nothing. My only wish is that I could have the extractor fan duct permanently plumbed in so that I didn't have to hang it through an open window. It's fine in the summer months, but damn cold in the winter. There is literally no space on any of the walls where I could make the hole I would need to add a duct...

Old 11-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #27
Tompidom
AF Enthusiast

Got some better pic's of my setup
The photo booth

Kit storage

The desk

My online webshop
www.thescalemodeler.com
Tompidom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #28
Adam Baker
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Adam Baker Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Baker

Steve, have you tried making any kind of insert to put in the window so that you can close it? That's how I've always done mine. When I first built my paint booth I used a wood panel w/ a bulkhead connector for the dryer hose. What I'm doing now is using a piece of the 1/2" thick blue foam insulation board sold at home improvement stores. I cut it about 6" tall and then cut an opening in it large enough for my vent hose. I can open the window and put the insert in and then close the window down on it, and put the hose through the hole. Its not perfect, but it works well enough to paint during the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenoble View Post
This is my modelling area in the spare room. It's not ideal as it's a bit cramped, but it's better than nothing. My only wish is that I could have the extractor fan duct permanently plumbed in so that I didn't have to hang it through an open window. It's fine in the summer months, but damn cold in the winter. There is literally no space on any of the walls where I could make the hole I would need to add a duct...

Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Adam Baker For This Useful Post:
stevenoble (11-09-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #29
keveuh
AF Regular

2 pics of my set up when painting stinky paints such as lacquers and enamels. It might help Steve too as I had to come up with a way to have the hose from the spraybooth to ventilate outside but still prevent air from outside to come inside and it works very well. I keep that piece of paperboard and foam with old socks, and I also have to mention that there is a net on the outside of the window therefore the hose and the foam are against it and it doesn't fall on the ground outside. Winters are very cold here (Finland) and even when it's -15C I can still paint with this set up and not much cold comes in at all, the room stays at a good temperature.

Other pics of my bench later because it's gonna be modified a bit.
keveuh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keveuh For This Useful Post:
stevenoble (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #30
ianc911
AF Enthusiast

Here's a couple shots of my bench. I'm relegated to the garage I'm afraid, but that's OK because that's the only place my wife allows this type of decor!

Living in CA means it doesn't get too cold, and if it does, the cars' engines warm it up nicely after the commute home.

At left is the home made spray booth I made before I figured out I don't really need it, so it's now relegated to storage duties. I typically only spray Tamiya acrylics, so I just open the door and spray out the door frame, even in winter. My neigbors haven't complained yet.

ianc
ianc911 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling