Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fiat > 124 | 125
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 12:32 AM   #1
New2Fiats
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to New2Fiats Send a message via Yahoo to New2Fiats
Electrical help for Fiat Spider 2000

I recently purchased a Fiat Spider 2000 from one of my customers and so far I like it. It needs some engine work and the body has minimal cancer spots but it's a convertible and in California that's a plus.

I am having a few problems with it though. I have no rear lights whatsoever and my right headlamp is dim. I replaced the headlamp and it is still the same. I had the battery checked and it was charging normally.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? I thought maybe an alternator problem. I am at a loss.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
New2Fiats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 08:30 AM   #2
fischerartworks
AF Newbie

Re: Electrical help for Fiat Spider 2000

I've had problems with the ground connections on the Spider before.
fischerartworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:19 AM   #3
New2Fiats
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to New2Fiats Send a message via Yahoo to New2Fiats
success

I had a mobile electrician come and resolder the back right circuit board to make the rivets contact the board again. as far as the headlight I put the new one in and it fixed itself concerning the brightness.

all is well and now i have to address the engine and its many oil/heating issues. i was told that this model runs at around 208-210 degrees but on long rides in the sun it tends to get higher than that.

i might just sell it as it is in excellent condition to be restored by someone with more cash to spend.

thanks for responding!

New2Fiats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 12:31 PM   #4
fischerartworks
AF Newbie

I've actually had the oil pickup horn partially broken off due to hits to the oil pan. This led to all sorts of oil pressure problems. The oil pan is pretty exposed, they should of had a skid plate there
fischerartworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
Boeing Nut
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Fiats
I recently purchased a Fiat Spider 2000 from one of my customers and so far I like it. It needs some engine work and the body has minimal cancer spots but it's a convertible and in California that's a plus.

I am having a few problems with it though. I have no rear lights whatsoever and my right headlamp is dim. I replaced the headlamp and it is still the same. I had the battery checked and it was charging normally.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? I thought maybe an alternator problem. I am at a loss.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Welcome fellow FIAT owner! Or as we like to say, Fix It Again Tony!!

The 124 are notorius for having electrical problems. On SpiderCenter.com, they actually have a whole thread dedicated for those looking for help on the electrical systems. They offer some good info, but I think you'll have to register of course.

Good luck!!
Boeing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:55 PM   #6
hot98sephia
AF Newbie

hot98sephia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:57 PM   #7
hot98sephia
AF Newbie

http://users.chartertn.net/jseabolt/elect.htm This also is for the electrical
hot98sephia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:07 PM   #8
DC Kelley
AF Newbie

The only place to look for Fiat answers is: http://www.mirafiori.com See you there.

Your back taillight dim issue can be fixed with a decent ground wire (will solve the typical "semi-bad fuel pump" problem too). After 25 years, solder on the rivets to get better connection is also typical. The dim headlights can be solved with the "brown wire" to the ignition switch trick (adding current flow around the OEM wiring). You can do both in under an hour and the above site has lots of details. Fiat, in its infinite wisdom, is not much into solid ground circuits.

A 124 should run right at 190 degrees F (directly up on your temp gauge) and your electric fan will come on at just under 200. From a cold start it will take at least 20 minutes to idle up this temp. Underway, you will be hard pressed to overheat the thing and any sort of downhill will produce a slight cool down. Learn to burp the air out of it and 99% of your problem will be gone. This system partially diverts water to the cold side rather than pumping it around with a blocking thermostat like most cars. Read up on it at the above link.

There is nothing on this car that can not be fixed by someone with basic skill, plus the parts are dirt cheap. I just got my '81 as a teaching aid to my own young driver but I had forgotten how much damn fun a 2 litter coupe could be. On the other hand, the going price from perfect to junk is perhaps 6k to 2k.
DC Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fiat > 124 | 125