Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
jwichman
AF Newbie

2009 Silverado Trans Slip

Have a 2009, 2500HD 4X4 23K miles that has an occaisional/intermittant trans slip when shifting from 2nd to 3rd (I think). It always seems to catch me by surprise so it may be 2-3 or 3rd to 4th. Shift point seems to be around 1800rpm, engine revs to about 2500 during the slip. It's always shortly after starting up and the trans is not neccessarily up to full operating temp. I've noticed it happening in the dead of summer as well as the dead of winter.

Called the dealer this morning to make a service appointment. Service manager told me " they've had several complaints similar to this and his personal truck does this as well. It may just be something that they do." I asked that they look at it anyway, however I'm betting that because it is intermittant it will not act up while they are looking at it and I'm going to get the "it's supposed to do that, or we can't find anything wrong with it" answer. My bumper to bumper warranty is due to expire this week. I'm thinking my pwertrain warranty will continue to cover trans slip for a couple more years - maybe? Anyone else seen this type of issue?
Thanks,
jwichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2009 Silverado Trans Slip

Have your dealer check bulliten #09-07-30-004E. It relates to potential seal problems causing shift concerns. Not that this is the problem, but it may hep.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwichman View Post
Have a 2009, 2500HD 4X4 23K miles that has an occaisional/intermittant trans slip when shifting from 2nd to 3rd (I think). It always seems to catch me by surprise so it may be 2-3 or 3rd to 4th. Shift point seems to be around 1800rpm, engine revs to about 2500 during the slip. It's always shortly after starting up and the trans is not neccessarily up to full operating temp. I've noticed it happening in the dead of summer as well as the dead of winter.

Called the dealer this morning to make a service appointment. Service manager told me " they've had several complaints similar to this and his personal truck does this as well. It may just be something that they do." I asked that they look at it anyway, however I'm betting that because it is intermittant it will not act up while they are looking at it and I'm going to get the "it's supposed to do that, or we can't find anything wrong with it" answer. My bumper to bumper warranty is due to expire this week. I'm thinking my pwertrain warranty will continue to cover trans slip for a couple more years - maybe? Anyone else seen this type of issue?
Thanks,
alot of owners with these transmissions have this issue. any slippage is not going to create a long life for the drivetrain/transmission. looks like quite a few seals are leaking . at 40,ooomi it will be really banging into gear.

here is the TSB on this TECHNICAL
Bulletin No.: 09-07-30-004A
Date: April 21, 2009
Subject:
Flare and/or Harsh 2-3 Shifts (Install Three Fluid Seal Rings)
Models:
2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado
2008-2009 Chevrolet Suburban
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Tahoe
2007-2009 GMC Sierra, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL Denali
2008-2009 GMC Yukon XL
2009 GMC Yukon
Equipped with 6L80 (RPO MYC) or 6L90 (RPO MYD) Automatic Transmission
Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised add replacement of the Torque Convertor Housing/Fluid Pump Seal. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-07-30-004 (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).
Condition
Note
Vehicles built before September, 2008 are more likely to have leaking fluid seal rings.
Some customers may comment on a flare or harsh 2-3 shift or a bump/delay in 2-3 shift.
Cause
This condition may be caused by leaking 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R clutch fluid seal rings. The following conditions are indications that the fluid seal rings may be leaking.
- Delayed/extended or delayed with harsh feel initial Park to Drive and/or Reverse to Drive shifts that are more likely to occur when the transmission temperature is below approximately 40°C (104°F).
- Harsh or flaring 2-3 shifts that are more likely to occur when the transmission fluid temperature is in the approximately 0°C (32°F) to 40°C (104°F) temperature range, but can be present at any temperature.
- Harsh 2-3 shifts that are more likely to occur at less than 50% throttle pressure.
Correction
Important
DO NOT replace the transmission control valve body, transmission control module (TCM) or transmission fluid pump cover assembly.
1. Verify the customer's concern with the described conditions above. Then replace the 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R clutch fluid seal rings.
2. Remove the transmission assembly from the vehicle. Refer to Transmission Replacement in SI.
3. Remove the transmission oil pan. Refer to Automatic Transmission Fluid, Fluid Pan and/or Filter Replacement in SI.
Notice
When removing the transmission control valve body, discard the O-ring seals and install new seals, GM P/N 24236927. Failure to install control valve body O-ring seals may cause internal transmission leaks and transmission damage.
4. Remove the transmission control valve body. Refer to Control Valve Body Assembly/Removal in SI.
5. Remove the transmission bell housing /fluid pump. Refer to Torque Converter Housing with Fluid Pump Removal in SI.

Notice
The three clutch fluid seal rings are required to be installed in a specific way. Failure to install new clutch fluid seal rings may cause internal transmission leaks and transmission damage.
6. Inspect and remove the three clutch fluid seal rings (1). Install new pump rings, GM P/N 24238248. Refer to 1-2-3-4 and 3-5 Reverse Clutch Fluid Seal Ring Installation (6L80/90) in SI for correct installation.
7. After completing the repair procedure, a Service Fast Learn Adapts procedure must be completed. Refer to Service Fast Learn Adapts in SI for procedure details. After completing the Service Fast Learn Adapts procedure, the vehicle may still experience some minor driveability issues but should learn improved shifting performance over the next several key cycles and driving time. Review with the customer the facts about the transmission's ability to self-correct shifting issues or concerns. The transmission adapts are always functional and operate at transmission oil temperatures about 40°C (104°F).
Parts Information

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table above.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

The bulliten JcAT provided is basically the same as the one I gave you. The "A" and the "E" are just indicating that it has been updated. The number I provided was released Sept.26, 2011. At least now you can read it and be prepared when you see your dealer.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
GMCustomerService
AF Regular

Please be sure to update us on how the dealership appointment goes.

For Powertrain Warranty Coverage, the following describes inclusions and exclusions:Transmission/Transaxle Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, case, torque converter, mounts, seals and gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the transmission/transaxle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the transmission (Slave cylinder, etc.) as well as any Transmission Control Module and/or module programming.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are transmission cooling lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors.

I hope this is helpful, and if I can ever be of assistance please don't hesitate to send me a private message with more information.

Sarah
GM Customer Service
GMCustomerService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
jwichman
AF Newbie

Thanks for the great information. Dealer was unable to find the TSB on his own. I provided him the TSB# from the info posted here and he is taking another look. This TSB describes my problem almost exactly. I have not experienced the harse shifts but I'm assuming "flare" is what I call slip; engine rpm revs up in the middle of the 2nd to 3rd shift, then back down once the shift is completed. The temperature ranges described in the TSB are consistent with what I've experienced. I assume this problem only gets worse with time and mileage? If the dealer is unwilling to perform repairs at this time (he could not get it to act up) I assume this would be covered in the 5yr powertrain warranty?

Many thanks to you all!
Old 12-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks for the great information. Dealer was unable to find the TSB on his own. I provided him the TSB# from the info posted here and he is taking another look. This TSB describes my problem almost exactly. I have not experienced the harse shifts but I'm assuming "flare" is what I call slip; engine rpm revs up in the middle of the 2nd to 3rd shift, then back down once the shift is completed. The temperature ranges described in the TSB are consistent with what I've experienced. I assume this problem only gets worse with time and mileage? If the dealer is unwilling to perform repairs at this time (he could not get it to act up) I assume this would be covered in the 5yr powertrain warranty?

Many thanks to you all!

your experience with the dealership is pretty much what others have experienced. other dealer comments " THIS IS NORMAL WITH THESE VEHICLES "

NOW I doubt the dealership is going to rebuild your transmission with the new updated seals. they will most likely remove and send your transmission out to a sub contractor to replace these defective seals..

go look all this up. go to other forums. lots of pissed off new vehicle owners with trucks that shift like crap...

this will be another class action lawsuit ,,,,,IF GM lasts that long .
Old 12-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #8
jwichman
AF Newbie

The TSB mentioned above (rev E) only applies to trucks built prior to Dec 2008. According to the TSB trucks built after 12/08 a new two piece seal design was implemented. My truck was built Sept 09 therefore the TSB does not apply even though symptoms match almost exactly. Once again I got the "that's what these trucks do" answer and sent me on my way.

Chevy dealers seem to be doing their best to drive new as well as long time loyal customers away.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
The TSB mentioned above (rev E) only applies to trucks built prior to Dec 2008. According to the TSB trucks built after 12/08 a new two piece seal design was implemented. My truck was built Sept 09 therefore the TSB does not apply even though symptoms match almost exactly. Once again I got the "that's what these trucks do" answer and sent me on my way.

Chevy dealers seem to be doing their best to drive new as well as long time loyal customers away.
rev E will become rev Z etc....

the longer they delay the more vehicles will be out of warrantee, and cost will reduce. repairing this on thousands of vehicles will cost millions of dollars for GM..

many of these owners are saying "I SHOULD HAVE NEVER REPLACED MY OLD TRUCK "...

TOO BAD these vehicles don't operate as good as they look !
Old 09-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #10
kerry oickle
AF Newbie

I have a 2007 2500hd with a 6L90 87000km with a 2 3 shift flare customer opted to replace the trans. and guess what same thing but not as bad. Called TAC and was told to replace with another new unit. I don't think this will fix the problem. Anyone else having this problem? I am a GM tech.(30 + yrs) All eng/trans data smack on but have the 2/3 and sometimes 4/5 shift flare.Just don't want the customer to be on the hook for 4500$ and have the same problem. Will probably have to reinstall his old trans at my expense(no pay)and tell him this is normal.No DTC'S and truck works great.
kerry oickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #11
kerry oickle
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech1 View Post
Have your dealer check bulliten #09-07-30-004E. It relates to potential seal problems causing shift concerns. Not that this is the problem, but it may hep.
Thats why the customer opted for a new trans,due to the cost of a tear down. You think with a new tranny the problem would be corrected? I think I may have to call TAC again and ask them point blank if there is a fix or not. Thanks for now.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #12
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry oickle View Post
Thats why the customer opted for a new trans,due to the cost of a tear down. You think with a new tranny the problem would be corrected? I think I may have to call TAC again and ask them point blank if there is a fix or not. Thanks for now.
when you say new what does that mean ? new to this vehicle or new never used before ?

flaring with the pressure checking tests , usually reveal the defect if the person has a lot of experience with pressure diagnostics with these transmissions.

the electrical wiring to these are also a big problem . this is why GM does not include this with the power train warranty because GM KNOWS this wiring is bad, just as bad as the transmission fluid cooling lines..
Old 09-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #13
kerry oickle
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
when you say new what does that mean ? new to this vehicle or new never used before ?

flaring with the pressure checking tests , usually reveal the defect if the person has a lot of experience with pressure diagnostics with these transmissions.

the electrical wiring to these are also a big problem . this is why GM does not include this with the power train warranty because GM KNOWS this wiring is bad, just as bad as the transmission fluid cooling lines..
pressure drops a little, You can watch the solenoid change then the flare as if its taking to long for the clutch to fill and apply. Think this one is going to beat me. Service manager just wants it fixed. Thanks for your help guys.Oh by the way the trans is NEW from GM.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:17 AM   #14
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry oickle View Post
pressure drops a little, You can watch the solenoid change then the flare as if its taking to long for the clutch to fill and apply. Think this one is going to beat me. Service manager just wants it fixed. Thanks for your help guys.Oh by the way the trans is NEW from GM.
The reason I asked this is because GM sends out these defective trannys to contract repair shops for servicing ... very rare to find a dealership have a tech with the ability and resources to do a rebuild.

the pressure drop you see is the cause of the flare. sounds like bad O rings or a defective body .
Old 06-23-2015, 07:02 AM   #15
rnemerson
AF Newbie

Anyone had the codes p0741 or p0700? The torque converter keeps getting "stuck" off when towing a heavy load and locks me out of 5th & 6th gear. I've had dealer check it out numerous times and no luck. All started while under warranty and now getting the run around.
rnemerson is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado