Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
AF Newbie

lowering the rear, 2007 1500 2wd

I want to lower the rear of my 2007 1500 ext. cab 4.8 ltr. I've installed DJM rear lowering shackles and it went down just shy of 2". I'd like to go at least two more inches. I saw the same truck and the owner took out the spring blocks and the overload leafs and said the truck went down about 2 & 1/4". Has anybody else done this procedure with success? I never tow with this truck and the most weight I put in the bed is a suitcase of beer.
1st time post and thank you for any help you can offer.
2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: lowering the rear, 2007 1500 2wd

Welcome Aboard!

The spring block/spacers can be removed, but there may not be enough thread on the U-bolts to secure the springs to the axle housing. You may be shopping for shorter U-bolts since it would be difficult to die cut the thread longer on the hardened U-bolts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Bowtie For This Useful Post:
2007 (09-08-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
AF Newbie

Thanks for your info. I'm more interested in the overload spring removal, was wondering if it would cause leaf spring warp under hard braking or hard acceleration? Does the overload spring in any way help to stop warping? Thanks again.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007 View Post
I want to lower the rear of my 2007 1500 ext. cab 4.8 ltr. I've installed DJM rear lowering shackles and it went down just shy of 2". I'd like to go at least two more inches. I saw the same truck and the owner took out the spring blocks and the overload leafs and said the truck went down about 2 & 1/4". Has anybody else done this procedure with success? I never tow with this truck and the most weight I put in the bed is a suitcase of beer.
1st time post and thank you for any help you can offer.
I find this weird since most need to lift the front not drop the rear.

these vehicles have defective front strut springs [made in china steel] after 40 K miles front end droop..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to j cAT For This Useful Post:
2007 (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
AF Newbie

Thanks j cAT,
I'm dropping the front 3" as well and I'm trying to end up with a flat stance with the front just slightly lower than the rear. O yah, front springs are being replaced. Hoping to find someone that has removed rear overloads and spring blocks with no ill effects. Thanks for your time and information.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007 View Post
Thanks j cAT,
I'm dropping the front 3" as well and I'm trying to end up with a flat stance with the front just slightly lower than the rear. O yah, front springs are being replaced. Hoping to find someone that has removed rear overloads and spring blocks with no ill effects. Thanks for your time and information.
out your way lowering is work able. out here in snow country you need the height for snow clearance. get stuck in those snow banks with low vehicle.

the lowering with new springs should give it a better ride ..

I would have the rear just a tad higher. when your operating @ 75 MPH the front end will rise and put drag on the vehicle.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to j cAT For This Useful Post:
2007 (09-13-2014)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado