Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 12:42 AM   #1
Aphix
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Aphix Send a message via MSN to Aphix Send a message via Yahoo to Aphix
Good cheap muscle car

I was hunting for a cheap muscle car like a mustang or something for a school car. Pretty cheap like in the 3k range that can handle icy roads and such and gets good mileage (i commute 40 miles a day).
Aphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 12:47 AM   #2
rockfan0005
AF Newbie

Re: Good cheap muscle car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphix
I was hunting for a cheap muscle car like a mustang or something for a school car. Pretty cheap like in the 3k range that can handle icy roads and such and gets good mileage (i commute 40 miles a day).
Muscle car, cheap, and good gas mileage don't go in the same sentence. If you want a muscle car it'll get bad gas mileage. You could get a fairly cheap muscle car, like a 80-92 camaro, but it won't get good gas mileage.
SLP Exhaust System
DHP PCM
rockfan0005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 12:48 AM   #3
Aphix
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Aphix Send a message via MSN to Aphix Send a message via Yahoo to Aphix
what kind of mileage will it get?
Old 12-04-2005, 01:16 AM   #4
tom3
AF Enthusiast

Late 80s, early 90s Camaro with a 305 V8. Not that fast but a good V8 sound and excellent gas mileage. Not too hard to maintain. Best looking cars on the road right now.
tom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:50 AM   #5
rockfan0005
AF Newbie

A camaro of that time would get roughly 19 MPG (city), 27 (highway), 22 (average), it's much better than what I was originally thinking, but they really aren't all that fast, but they are really cheap to mod, stock I think they run between high 14s to high 15s (depends on what model you get, I would suggest a z28), but you could get them down to low 14s to high 13s without too much work or money.

EDIT: The numbers are times on 1/4 mile in case you didn't know. 14s are usually what people consider to be a pretty quick car. 13s are very fast in general.

If you want to know how fast a car is stock here's a fairly good list to go on:
http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html
SLP Exhaust System
DHP PCM
Old 12-04-2005, 11:27 AM   #6
camaroincal
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to camaroincal

camaroincal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:55 AM   #7
Schister66
AF -Advisor

Send a message via AIM to Schister66 Send a message via MSN to Schister66

Fox Body Mustang.....enough said
Old 12-04-2005, 01:24 PM   #8
Aphix
AF Newbie

Luckily my entire commute is on highway.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:16 AM   #9
camaroincal
AF Enthusiast

That 5.0 in the pictures I have has 2.73 gears. Perfect if you're on the highway a lot. I'm only turning like 2500 pms going 90+ mph Plus that car has performance heads intake exhaust injectors etc. Has about 270 rwhp so that makes up for the non-performance gears. I kinda like being able to go almost 50 mph in 1st gear.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:12 AM   #10
JLad10687
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to JLad10687

Everyone is neglecting the icey roads part. You wont find a muscle car that is good in icey roads. All muscle cars are RWD and therefore suck in the snow and rain and ice. Most muscle cars only get about 8-12 mpg. If you want good gas mileage and comfort, get an import or atleast a more modern car.

JLad10687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:16 AM   #11
camaroincal
AF Enthusiast

As long as you throw on some snow tires and don't mash the gas, you shouldn't have any problems. A fwd import won't do any better on icy roads.... Gas mileage, ok ya. It kinda sucks.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:05 PM   #12
JLad10687
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to JLad10687

Lets say 13 gallon tanks. Muscle car, 10mpg...just for easy math (but will probably be less). Thats 130 miles to a tank @ 40 miles a day, you'll have to fill up every 3 days. An import that gets 20 mpg thats 260 miles to a tank. That way you're filling up once a week instead of every three days. With old cars you also have to remember there is always gonna be something wrong, especially if you're only spending around 3G. Theres a reason that same muscle car that costs 3G can also go for 20G, its alot about quality. If you only have 3G to spend on a car, you want something that is going to be reliable and efficient. Your buddies may tease you if youre driving some beater kia but when they cant afford to go to the titty bar and blow some cash elsewhere, you'll be the real winner lol. When I was buying my first car, I was debating between a 2001 Kia w/26,000 miles on it for $3200 and a 1989 Nissan Maxima w/122,000 miles on itfor $2300. I was drawn in by the Maximas racing rims and aftermarket spoiler and 6 cyl manual power(I always kind of wanted to drive stick). Now that Maxima has about 125,000 miles on it and it was just towed out of my girlfriends driveway at about 11:00 this morning because it got an unforseen leak and would not go into gear. So...the morale of my story is be practical and get something you can afford and wont have to put more money into. You don't need the extra speed, any car you buy can go 90mph and you should never even be going that fast really to begin with. We all want speed and a cool car but if you only have 3G and you drive 40 miles a day, speed isnt what you need.

JLad10687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:57 PM   #13
Aphix
AF Newbie

Thanks for the help everybody. Sorry that I failed to mention that I plan on buying one of these as a project car that my dad agreed to help me fix with the 3 grand for funding the project. So hopefully most flaws of a car with 100,000+ miles on it will be removed and if not I plan on doing all repairs. But if most cars like the third gen camaro and such dont do well and ice and gas mileage and the other things mentioned what would be a good performance car?
Old 12-06-2005, 12:08 AM   #14
rockfan0005
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphix
Thanks for the help everybody. Sorry that I failed to mention that I plan on buying one of these as a project car that my dad agreed to help me fix with the 3 grand for funding the project. So hopefully most flaws of a car with 100,000+ miles on it will be removed and if not I plan on doing all repairs. But if most cars like the third gen camaro and such dont do well and ice and gas mileage and the other things mentioned what would be a good performance car?
Well if your main two things that you want are gas mileage and doing well with the ice, then I would suggest a front weel drive car with a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder.

I guess a good all around car for you to balance it out would be a car with a v6, probably front weel drive (to handle ice). See the trouble is with the kind of things you want the car cant really be all of it, like if you want it to be fast then its not gonna get very good mpg, and faster cars are usually RWD, but they don't handle as well on ice.

I would still suggest the 3rd gen camaros, they may not be the most reliable, but there as cheap as hell and though they aren't the best on the road for snow, you can throw snow tires on it and it should handle just fine. And for their speediness they do get really good gas mileage.

EDIT: you could do something more mutual like something with a v6 (good amount of power but balanced with pretty good gas mileage), front wheel drive. Like for example I drive a Pontiac Grand Am because I wanted something fairly mutual with gas mileage and power and it handles well because its a front weel drive.
SLP Exhaust System
DHP PCM
Old 12-06-2005, 02:40 PM   #15
flatlander757
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to flatlander757
I got a '94 Camaro Z28(LT1 engine) for $2200.

It is VERY fast

It's rated at 17 city and I think 23 or so highway.

But with 275hp, it's worth it

I won't have to worry about snow because my license is suspended until February(don't street race ), but many people use them with snow tires with great luck. You can find a decent one for $3k. I got mine for $2200 and it's in great shape. Just gotta look. Also, if you get a 95-97, it will come with traction control that can further aid you in snow driving. Not to mention ABS comes standard on all of them.

LT1 Camaro(93-97) = mid to low 14s at 100mph

most recent fox body mustang(87-93) = mid to low 15s and I THINK 92 or so mph

Not to mention the LT1 has a way nicer interior so could get you some ass

The third gen Camaros are pretty hard to find in good shape, but even still unless it has a 350TPI it's not really worth it, those 305s have ZERO balls after 3500rpms and the 350s are still quite bad, but not terrible.

Oh yeah, and my car has 196,000 miles and still ticking Aside from the few regular bugs that every car has, I'd say these LT1s are very reliable.

Edit: but I think a different class of car would suit you better. Something like a Ford Contour SVT... those things are FWD, sporty, and actually run fairly respectable 1/4 mile times, something like 15s.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD