Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Frontier | Navara
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 07:54 PM   #1
Robert Sparks
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Sparks
Question Frontier Keyless Entry

Just bought a 2005 Frontier Crew Cab 4x4, power windows & locks, but no keyless entry (or keyfob). Does anyone know how much the keyless entry should cost me? Better at the dealer's or an automotive installation company?
Robert Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:50 PM   #2
freakray
AF Modelrater

Re: Frontier Keyless Entry

Take your truck to another dealer and have them check into it, if you have power locks you should surely have keyless entry?
Old 03-14-2005, 07:31 AM   #3
reverendbiker
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sparks
Just bought a 2005 Frontier Crew Cab 4x4, power windows & locks, but no keyless entry (or keyfob). Does anyone know how much the keyless entry should cost me? Better at the dealer's or an automotive installation company?
I'll assume that you have the SE model--Nissan made the bizarre decision to sell a truck with keyless entry but provided no key fob for it. You can buy one from the dealer for about $100, but many SE owners buy a new fob off eBay and program it themselves. There are several for sale there right now for about $20.
reverendbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:46 PM   #4
Robert Sparks
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Sparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sparks
Well, in checking directly with Nissan NA Consumer Affairs, they state this model doesn't come with keyless entry, and does not include a keyhole on the passenger side. So, what happens if someone parks too close to you on the driver's side? Guess we're screwed! You would think after paying Nissan that much money for a new truck, they would want to make the customer satisfied!!!
Robert Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 01:29 PM   #5
coveredi
AF Newbie

Keyless Entry

You are correct, Nissan will tell you that the Remote Keyless Entry is not available on this model. If you have the SE trim level, with the power package, however, they are not being entirely truthful.

I asked my dealer about it too, after reading a similar post on another website. When I picked up my new truck 2 weeks ago, the saleman "Tried" to get one to work, but told me it gave him no prompt.

Well, I figured under $20 wasn't too much for an experiment, so I went to ebay, did a "Buy It Now" for $15.99, paid another $3.00 for shipping, and gave it a try. The remote came with the programming instructions, and by following them, it works perfect.

My guess is Nissan doesn't want their dealerships knowing how to do this because the Keyless may be a deciding factor for someone to purchase the more expensive trim level. I told the dealer they can use this info as a selling point if someone can't make up their mind about who to buy from. "Hey! If you buy from us, we'll install Keyless entry on your new truck for FREE!"

For the record, my Truck is an '05 Frontier CC SE 4x4, with the Power Package.

When you stop and think about it, it only makes sense that all the componentry for the keyless would be there. Why would they go through the trouble of designing two different systems?

So, to recap, your truck should have all the componentry installed, all you will need is the fob.

Hope this helps. (If you just get ahold of one of the fobs and can't get the programming instructions, let us know. I have them!)
coveredi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:15 PM   #6
PapaTorrone
AF Newbie

coveredi,

i was just wondering if the fob you bought was for an '05 and for what model was it from?? i would love to try this, it's starting to become a pain in the butt to only unlock my truck from the drivers side.
PapaTorrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:33 PM   #7
coveredi
AF Newbie

Remote

PapaTorrone,

The keyfob I bought off of ebay was listed as for an 02 03 04 Frontier Xterra Pathfinder. The numbers on the back of the remote are: FCC ID: KBRASTU15, Model # ASTU15, CANADA: 2111104208. These numbers are on pretty much all of the remotes I've seen for sale. There's one guy on ebay who lists them with a Buy It Now of $15.99, but there's a handful of them everywhere up to about $30. I just purchased a second one, since the first one worked OK. Right now the same guy has an auction with 2 remotes with a B-I-N of $29.99. He sent the programming instructions with the remote, and it literally took all of 15 seconds to get it programmed. It'll take 20 seconds next time, because I'll have to reprogram the truck to respond to both remotes! ;o)

I definitely know what you mean. I got so used to having the remote keyless for the past three years that it was a shock to have to open with a key, especially when the only door with a lock was the driver's. In my garage, you're always closest to the passenger's door! Plus I'm always worried I'm going to scratch the paint.

Good luck. If you can get ahold of a fob, but no instructions, post back and I'll get you a copy of them.

-Dale
Old 03-30-2005, 10:01 AM   #8
PapaTorrone
AF Newbie

Re: Remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by coveredi
PapaTorrone,

The keyfob I bought off of ebay was listed as for an 02 03 04 Frontier Xterra Pathfinder. The numbers on the back of the remote are: FCC ID: KBRASTU15, Model # ASTU15, CANADA: 2111104208. These numbers are on pretty much all of the remotes I've seen for sale. There's one guy on ebay who lists them with a Buy It Now of $15.99, but there's a handful of them everywhere up to about $30. I just purchased a second one, since the first one worked OK. Right now the same guy has an auction with 2 remotes with a B-I-N of $29.99. He sent the programming instructions with the remote, and it literally took all of 15 seconds to get it programmed. It'll take 20 seconds next time, because I'll have to reprogram the truck to respond to both remotes! ;o)

I definitely know what you mean. I got so used to having the remote keyless for the past three years that it was a shock to have to open with a key, especially when the only door with a lock was the driver's. In my garage, you're always closest to the passenger's door! Plus I'm always worried I'm going to scratch the paint.

Good luck. If you can get ahold of a fob, but no instructions, post back and I'll get you a copy of them.

-Dale
thanx Dale,

gonna order some up today and see what happens

Luca
Old 04-08-2005, 03:03 PM   #9
jnnbug
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: Re: Remote

What are the instructions that came with your remote, because I have found lots of posts that say to lock doors, insert key 6 times with in 10 sec. lights flash....ect...ect.

my 05 frontier crew cab se power package, doesn't do anything. Tried at least 20 times any ideas.
jnnbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 07:40 AM   #10
coveredi
AF Newbie

jnnbug

The instructions I have state:

1. close and lock all doors with drivers side power lock/unlock button.

2. Insert key into ignition and remove it from the ignition key cyclinder at least 6 times within 10 seconds. Your hazard lamps will flash if you have performed this step successfully (I do not remember the hazard indicators on the dash flashing however. I don't think you get any visual indicator inside the cab. I only know the hazard lights flashed because I was looking for it, and was in a garage, so I could see the flash on the wall). NOTE: Withdraw key completely from the ignition cyclinder each time. If this procedure is performed too fast, system will not enter programming mode.

3. Insert key into the ignition cyclinder and turn to the ACC postition.

4. Within 5 seconds, push ANY button on the remote transmitter. Your hazard lamps should flash (If you press the LOCK button on the remote, you should hear the doors trying to lock). NOTE: Do not press the button more than one time in the above step. If the button is pressed more than one time, the programming procedure will not be successful.

5. If there are any remaining transmitters (Including old ones), unlock and then lock all doors using the drivers side power lock/unlock switch and within 5 seconds press ANY button on the next remote. Your hazard lamps should flash. Repeat this step for each transmitter (including any existing transmitters you may have, as they will need to be reprogrammed also.)

6. Turn the key to the OFF position, remove key from the ignition, unlock doors using drivers side power lock/unlock switch, and open the drivers door.

This is the exact sequence I followed to program two remotes I bought for my SE, and it worked perfectly for me.

Good Luck!
Old 04-22-2005, 02:04 PM   #11
PapaTorrone
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnbug
What are the instructions that came with your remote, because I have found lots of posts that say to lock doors, insert key 6 times with in 10 sec. lights flash....ect...ect.

my 05 frontier crew cab se power package, doesn't do anything. Tried at least 20 times any ideas.
same here...my instructions say ther same thing and absolutely nothing happens.... dunno wth to do

PT
Old 04-22-2005, 02:07 PM   #12
PapaTorrone
AF Newbie

gonna try that coverdi thatnx for the help.. will post back if it works.... or i guess if it doesn't.

PT
Old 04-22-2005, 02:24 PM   #13
coveredi
AF Newbie

Good Luck guys!
Old 05-15-2005, 11:24 PM   #14
scout73
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Frontier Keyless Entry

This is my 1st time posting here. I was just searching the net for anything about this keyless entry issue and found this site. I just bought an 05 crew cab se at the dealership that i work at. I am a mechanic at the ford side of the dealership. I didn't want a ford so I bought the nissan and asked the shop foreman about the keyless entry and he told me that it was not equiped with the receiver module that it needed for the key fob to work. He said he had priced up the whole system so many times that he had it memorized and it would be cheaper to install and aftermarket system from some one else. So I was about to check into that when I found this site. I called a buddy that has an 04 marrano and got his key fob and tried this and I didn't get a indication on the dash nor did the hazzards flash but I went ahead and turned the key and pressed a button on the fob and the dang thing worked! Thanks a lot for all the help coveredi I was probably about to pay someone alot of money for something that I didn't need. I can't beleive that the nissan guys across the street are that dumb.
scout73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:57 PM   #15
coveredi
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Scout

Glad to hear things worked out for you!

I still can't understand why the dealers don't know this, or at least aren't willing to pass along the info if they do know. I mean if we can find the info in an online forum, I'm sure somebody at the manufacturer knows about this!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Frontier | Navara