Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 05:19 AM   #1
Danroz
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Danroz
Question My 72 Cutlass

I have a bone stock 72 Cutlass given to me by my older bro. I am a smart kid so I know the specs...Its a 350 cid stock engine with I believe the turbo 350 3 speed tranny that is currently falling apart...The engine has about 140k miles on it and still runnin but I do want to change it.

My questions are these: Should I switch to a Chevy SB and if yes, what do i have to do to the original engine cradle? The Turbo 350 Tranny is able to withstand I think 400 ponies so should I keep that or upgrade to a higher capable Tranny and which one? And What are the best shock and spring combo for the Olds cus I love my car and all but turning does suck... lol

I would really appreciate it if someone really breaks it down for me on all the questions I asked

This is a Bone Stock Cutlass 442 for now that runs a 16 with an automatic... Who knows what I will run when I am done
Danroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 06:53 PM   #2
TheMan5952
Volvo Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheMan5952
The 350 is a small block already, so any other small block motor will bolt in. You could put a Corvette engine in it, the only thing that might not clear is the oil pan. Start looking for parts for it, there is a lot of stuff you can do to those cars. It's pretty nice looking, I assume the body is pretty straight by the way it looks on the pics.

Sold!1993 volvo 850
Intake, Exhaust, Springs, Shock, I.C.E.
TheMan5952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 07:15 AM   #3
Danroz
AF Newbie

Yea the body is good but there are rust spots and I am thinking it into a convertible...more value on the car if I ever think of selling it.

This is a Bone Stock Cutlass 442 for now that runs a 16 with an automatic... Who knows what I will run when I am done
Old 03-20-2002, 10:49 AM   #4
fastrThanU
AF Enthusiast

rebuild the motor and tranny. it's ridiculously easy to get 400hp out of the 350, and the TH-350 will take it no prob after a rebuild.

11.67@117
"plaster your ass to the back glass"
.... put yer motor where yer mouth is.....
fastrThanU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 11:30 AM   #5
Danroz
AF Newbie

You know I was thinkin along the lines of maybe upgrading to a 454... I know the olds could take it cus the other engine that could have came with the cutlass was a 455...Only thing that bothers me is if the auto tranny could handle (I am not ready for manny yet ) and if the oil pan would clear...Everything else I could handle thanx to the great products of the Original Parts Group

Old 03-20-2002, 04:15 PM   #6
fastrThanU
AF Enthusiast

if your'e gonna use a 454, hen you're gonna want to use a TH-400 with all that torque

11.67@117
"plaster your ass to the back glass"
.... put yer motor where yer mouth is.....
fastrThanU is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars