Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sequoia
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #31
sweetb
AF Newbie

Re: Traction Control System Problems

Hello everyone, I have a 2007 Sequoia 4wd limited. The VSC/TRAC/ Engine Light have been on for the passed 3 days. My husband wants to take the truck in on Saturday but I wanted to read up on what is causing this. I went ahead and took the advice of ChickenFace a few posts up and disconnected the battery for a few minutes. I connected it back again and the lights were all gone. I have not driven it anywhere yet so I will post another comment to see if the problem was solved. Other than having the lights on, I did not have any other issues. One thing that came to mind is that, maybe, a new battery needs to be purchased? Not sure, but only a thought. Thanks everyone for the great info.
sweetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #32
slowdive5
AF Newbie

I have the same issue as NicaFlores62 and would like to know what happened for them? Mine is a 2005 Limited 4WD with now 239,000 miles on it.

Toyota is denying knowledge of any problem. Weird, I know. See their response below.

We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns involving the Trac Control System on 9/18/2014.

According to your Vehicle Identification Number, there are no known issues or current recalls relating to the Trac Control System for your 2005 Sequoia. The warranty on the 2005 Sequoia is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first from the date of first use. Our records indicate your vehicle's date of first use is 02/08/2005.

In the interest of customer satisfaction, we may review individual requests even when the factory warranty has expired. This review takes into consideration a number of factors such as vehicle age and mileage in comparison to the manufacturer’s original warranty, the nature of the repair, inspection of the affected parts, any dealer maintenance/repair history and your Toyota ownership history.

Using the information available at this time, and weighing all the factors described above, we have determined no financial assistance will be offered towards this repair.

We know this is not the response you were hoping to receive, and understand the reasons for bringing this request to us. The experience you have had with your 2005 Sequoia is important to Toyota, and the information has been documented under case #1409182093.

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.

Well, in there they say there is no problem and then conflict that stance with adding that they will not foot the bill to repair it. Hmm...

So I sent this to the executive management team just a few moments ago:

Dear Gentlemen,
Please pardon the intrusion but I am deeply concerned with the brush off I received from your customer care team regarding what is quite clearly a potentially deadly defect with my Toyota Sequoia and Trac Control System. I think you should be aware of it.

I just completed a cursory search online and found countless other Sequoia owners have experienced, reported and had Toyota repair the issue. You do know about it. And if anyone did 4 minutes of customer experience research online, they would learn of similar stories of terror and death-defying near misses as drivers attempted to pull out into traffic and their Sequoia's computer cut the power to the drive wheels.

It is truly terrifying when our vehicle just stops for the absolutely most critical 2 or 3 seconds leaving us just pulled into cross traffic. Seconds seem like hours as one watches cars skidding, swerving and at times crossing into oncoming traffic to avoid colliding with the side of our Toyota Sequoia. The smoke and shriek of their skidding tires, their horns, the looks and gestures questioning our intelligence. But I am still alive to now take concerns I have mentioned at every Toyota Dealership service visit up to the executive management of Toyota.

I realize that the motor corporation that I have loved and supported for 30 years through many vehicle purchases is turning a blind eye to this customer's defective Sequoia. The true purpose of this email is to have clear documentation that I tried in earnest to have my vehicle evaluated and have yet again been rebuffed. I believe this is important as my comprehensive auto policy on this vehicle has limits of $300,000/$500,000 and - given those heart-stopping near misses my family has had when our Sequoia cut power as we pulled into traffic - when a collision does finally happen, it will likely include fatalities and run into the tens of millions in damages. At that time, should I survive, I will refer my insurer and counsel and those of the other innocent victims to Toyota Motor Sales.

In the event that the executive management of Toyota wishes to reconsider this serious defect and its obvious imminent disastrous potential feel free to contact me.

Regrettably yours,

Let's see what that gets me.

I would like to know what lasting fixes, if any, anyone has succeeded in obtaining. Its a serious issue and would love to have it resolved.
slowdive5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #33
slowdive5
AF Newbie

IN RESPONSE TO SweetB

I have had that 3 light combo multiple times.

First time the cause was allegedly that I topped off the tank after the pump clicked off. Don't ever do that. It dumps gas into the charcoal canister that is for filtering vapor. This floods the canister so it cannot passively breath - which lights those 3 up. This was in Death Valley - 4 hours off of paved roads (remote desert).

Second time was allegedly the Air Flow Meter. Replaced that and all was OK. This occurred in the Mojave National Preserve (remote desert).

Third time was last month. This occurred in Sequoia National Park. Oddly enough, you see, it is always the following morning after a long day of driving the day before. Car ran great right up to parking. Yet in the morning all three lights on. F! This time it was also in LIMP mode. That really blew.

The fix - It required replacement of the secondary auto air injection valves and ancillary goodies. Pointless parts that are only there for California emissions BS. Those reside beneath the EFI manifold and above the block. This is a very hot space. The parts have plastic fans in them. The heat cycling of those plastic pieces cause fatigue and failure. Mine went at 239,000 miles. 2005 Sequoia Limited 4WD. Toyota said $3,000 to $4,000 should do the trick. I had it done for $1700 in Hollywood at Pinky's Auto (those guys are great).

By the way, the codes at that time were P1440 and P1441.

Bottom line is that many things can cause those three lights to come on together.
slowdive5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:15 PM   #34
hurford
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Traction Control System Problems 2004 toyota sequoia

Ok, read all the threads avidly because I have had the same problems for 10 months. VSC and TRAC lights and the check engine light came on as I was overtaking on a recently graveled road. I thought they would reset. No such luck and i started reading these posts. The car never rode badly, there were no brake problems and if the lights were not on I would not have noticed any changes in the handling or braking, the car was fine. Interestingly the The ABS warning light never came on and if it was a sensor problem I would have thought the ABS would come on. Over the last few months, for various reasons, I have changed the oxygen sensor (no change in lights), disconnected battery (no luck), changed the brake rotors (no luck) and changed brake pads (no luck)

In despair I was going to leave it with the lights on.(I am not paying $2000 for a new computer because Toyota software is so bad). One post suggested a problem with the brake master cylinder. This made no sense as i cannot see a problem between the master cylinder and the VSC. However, i was replacing a blown fuse and for the hell of it I pulled the plug out of the cylinder and removed the battery connection. i left it for 10 minutes and then put them back

I couldn't believe it. The lights went off. So far i have done 300 miles and its still OK.

My thanks to all of you for your help. This is the first forum post in my life and i am glad you guys are out there
hurford is offline   Reply With Quote