Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Frontier | Navara
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 06:01 PM   #1
italysfinestsb
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to italysfinestsb Send a message via MSN to italysfinestsb Send a message via Yahoo to italysfinestsb
Lowering the Frontier

HEy, does anyone have any ideas, or comments on lowering a frontier. If so does anyone kno a good kit for it?

Let me kno what you think abot lowering the frontier.

alex
italysfinestsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 12:45 AM   #2
mazdaman51
AF Newbie

Frontier

I think the Frontier uses the same suspension as prior D21 Hardbody pickups, and thus uses a torsion bar instead of the standard coil spring. Lowering the vehicle, would involve changing the amount of pressure applied to the torsion bar at the mount end. This would involve a retro or custom design to allow the Torsion bar to ease out of its tight constaints and allow a lower ride. That might cause a ground clearance problem with a custom designed mount. It is probably easier to just go with 50 or 60 size, but smaller diameter tires and std size or smaller wheels. That will lower the vehicle about 3-4 inches. Laying it to the ground, you will likely spend upwards of $2K or more to get it lowered right, with an airbag suspension. I am new to the Truck scene but I have a D21 that Iam working on and am intending to do what I recommended, with either 215/70R15 or 14 inch wheels, or 215/65R15 or 14. I Still have to find the right wheels, (I'm looking at American Racing since they are relatively inexpensive, yet produce nice designs for 4x4 Trucks). Also, looking to update the 4 cylinder with a newer 90-96 6 cylinder Multi-Port FI motor ( good milage and power, and torque for 4wheel drive).
mazdaman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 06:44 PM   #3
flyins2k
AF Newbie

Re: Lowering the Frontier

if you want to lower it do it right, by the drop spindels for the front (about 300 for the pair) and you have a lot of options for the rear, blocks between the axle and sring is the cheap easy way and unless you r doin burn outs it not to detrimental on the suspention. Backing off the torsin bars in the front does work and doesnt cost anything but the wrench in you hand and the time in the drive way you WILL be going trough alot of tires. When you lower with the torsion bar tweek it throws the alighnment off and the insided of the tires will wear, and FAST!! cheap is great for a little while, but instead of spending a cuople hundred dollars on tires because you were to cheap at first , spend a couple hun and do it right the first time!!
flyins2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:55 PM   #4
calgearhead
AF Newbie

I'm trying to do the same with my 04 Fronty, but have not had any luck yet. What year is yours?? I DO NOT want to bag the darn thing, I just want to lower it 2/ 3 inches. I've seen spindles for up to 2k, but of course not for the Crew Cab and not for an 04. Does ANYONE know where to find a dropped spindle setup for this???
calgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 12:48 PM   #5
calgearhead
AF Newbie

Airbagit.com has control arms that will lower ANY 1998- 2005 Fronty 3 inches. I'm going to order pair early next year for mine. I'll let ya'll know how I like it.
calgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 02:28 PM   #6
kevin.kon
AF Newbie

WHY??? It's a truck you should raise it. But seriously, crank down the torsion is the front, you will have to get it realligned. As for the rear dont know
kevin.kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 03:01 AM   #7
Vinhtvu2
AF Newbie

If I crank down the torsion bar for the front, it knock out the alignment right?

what if I crank it down, then get the truck realigned?

Will that work? or does it knock it out over a period of time... again?

I need new tires anywayz... I already ordered a set of lowering springs for the back...
Vinhtvu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 10:33 AM   #8
kevin.kon
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Lowering the Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.kon
WHY??? It's a truck you should raise it. But seriously, crank down the torsion is the front, you will have to get it realligned. As for the rear dont know

As i mentioned earlier you will need to reallign the frone end. also keep in mind, cranking down the torsion will make the suspension soft and plush, which may cause the truck to bottom out and your weels will smack into the weel wells when you hit a bump. experement with the height and don't go to low, you should be ok
Old 04-30-2005, 08:39 PM   #9
Flash75
AF - Advisor

You can lower the front and have it realigned providing there is enough adjustment capability on the upper A arm inner bracket. The alignment will last as long on a lowered front end as it will on a standard height front end. You may end up with some bump steer which could make your truck steering dart around when cornering, braking or going over bumpy roads. Lowering torsion bars to lower the truck does reduce the suspension travel and can cause the suspension to bottom. Lowering does *not* make the ride softer because the torsion bars still support the same weight at a different ride heigh and you arestill using the same bar which has a fixed rate.

Clifton
Flash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 09:54 PM   #10
kevin.kon
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Lowering the Frontier

[Clifton. My bad. I figured that cranking the torsion would make the ride softer due to the release of the tension. All of my suspension expereance comes from mountian biking and motor cross. I rationalized that cranking the torsion down was like releasing some air out of a shock on a mountain bike, which will make the ride lower and softer. So why is that the ride on a truck becomes stiffer when the torsion is cranked up to raise a truck?

QUOTE=kevin.kon]As i mentioned earlier you will need to reallign the frone end. also keep in mind, cranking down the torsion will make the suspension soft and plush, which may cause the truck to bottom out and your weels will smack into the weel wells when you hit a bump. experement with the height and don't go to low, you should be ok[/quote]
Old 05-02-2005, 07:42 AM   #11
Vinhtvu2
AF Newbie

Eh, that's too risky then... what's an easier way to lower it, without the risk? I guess I dont really mind spending a little bit of money lowering it... Lowering Springs?
Vinhtvu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:15 AM   #12
kevin.kon
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lowering the Frontier

the torsion method is the easiest. there may be some kits out there. keep asking around. I'm not an expert on lowering trucks. I have lowered cars, which have coil springs. the frontier does not have coils,[

QUOTE=kevin.kon][Clifton. My bad. I figured that cranking the torsion would make the ride softer due to the release of the tension. All of my suspension expereance comes from mountian biking and motor cross. I rationalized that cranking the torsion down was like releasing some air out of a shock on a mountain bike, which will make the ride lower and softer. So why is that the ride on a truck becomes stiffer when the torsion is cranked up to raise a truck?

QUOTE=kevin.kon]As i mentioned earlier you will need to reallign the frone end. also keep in mind, cranking down the torsion will make the suspension soft and plush, which may cause the truck to bottom out and your weels will smack into the weel wells when you hit a bump. experement with the height and don't go to low, you should be ok[/quote][/quote]
Old 05-31-2005, 02:16 AM   #13
S_I_K
AF Newbie

okay man i dont know about any of these guys but air bag it just DO NOT DO WHAT I DID i have a 4inch body drop i lay the fram of my frontier on the ground my truck is low low low to the ground actually it sits on the ground but if you wanna have fun with your truck man just throw it on some air bags man there fun and girls always love a lil shown off
S_I_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:52 AM   #14
nolove
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to nolove

u can lower it with torsion as long as you put on a good set of shocks droped mine as soon as the fac war ran out out use leaf springs on thr rear but make sure u get the rear shock length right learned the hard way lol drop can go to about 3' in front
4 w/rep leaf in rear droped in 2001 no probs yet also get a good tec to do align or u will burn tires in less than 3 moths took 3 sets to get it right
nolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:13 PM   #15
scoobytuff
AF Regular

I adjusted my torsion bars, added nitro drop shocks, realigned the front end and it worked great. It rode a little rough, but the key was the new shocks. When I did the there were no spidles available for the truck. I put 60,000 miles on it this way with no problems and raised it back before I traded it in. Also the front bumpstops will be an issue if you go the torsion bar route. If I had access to spidles then I would have used them instead. The torsion bars can be adjusted with no major problems though.
scoobytuff is offline   Reply With Quote