Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 09:09 PM   #1
asdfbeau
AF Regular

question on pulleys

So my girlfriend got in an accident in my car(00 Civic-EX), the front end got bent into the AC and alternator pulleys-It didnt do any serious damage(that I know of), but it's making this annoying grinding noise, even after the frame/body work has been done.

Today I had the AC pulley replaced (it was the one making most of the noise) but I am guessing that, in order to get rid of this noise completely, I am gonna need to replace all of them...along with the damn AC compressor, but that's a different issue.

Does anyone know how hard this job will be? I have never replaced any belts by myself and am worried about getting the tension right. The manual makes it seem easy, but whenever I actually get to working on something that seems easy in the manual, it usually turns out to be a pain in the ass. Also, if anyone has any brand recommendations I would appreciate them; right now I'm probably gonna go with AEMs since they were the easiest to find and I probably wouldn't know the difference anyway.

Sorry if i seem like i know nothing about my car; I do, but its really hard to tell exactly where 'grinding' noises are coming from when there's been an accident.
Yes, I know I wasted my money on the AC pulley if im just going to replace it with an AEM.
asdfbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 09:16 AM   #2
redmanjd
AF Enthusiast

its easy to tension the belt you just dont want them to tight or they will burn the bearings up in you accesories . usually is leave 1/4 inch of slop int the belt but changing pullies get hard the alternators are a biatch. If you are trying to go performance pully i suggest unorthodox racing

New additions, teo4h turbo, ssautochrome turbo manifold, custom piping, turboxs bov, dsm 450cc injectors, greddy e-manage fuel controller 13.07 @ 107 untuned
redmanjd is offline   Reply With Quote