Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Frontier | Navara
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
eric Jones
AF Newbie

Knock Sensor and Camshaft Position Sensor codes (CEL)

'02 Frontier desert runner 3.3L v-6--reccurring 2 codes--camshaft positions sensor, and knock sensor. Here's history: Replaced distributor,cap, and button(cps is integral part of the distributor), after cps tested bad with ohmmeter--ran ok for awhile--same 2 codes surfaced. Replaced plugs and wires--same deal. Cleaned ground point for both sensors--same deal. I run Techron fuel cleaner regularly, and fuel filter has been replaced. Air system is clean as is throttle body. Any ideas?? Hate to replace knock sensor as its UNDER the intake manifold--computer problems???? anything would be appreciated!!--eroc
eric Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
kris
Off playing with fire.

Re: eroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric Jones
'02 Frontier desert runner 3.3L v-6--reccurring 2 codes--camshaft positions sensor, and knock sensor. Here's history: Replaced distributor,cap, and button(cps is integral part of the distributor), after cps tested bad with ohmmeter--ran ok for awhile--same 2 codes surfaced. Replaced plugs and wires--same deal. Cleaned ground point for both sensors--same deal. I run Techron fuel cleaner regularly, and fuel filter has been replaced. Air system is clean as is throttle body. Any ideas?? Hate to replace knock sensor as its UNDER the intake manifold--computer problems???? anything would be appreciated!!--eroc

Here is the basics on how to get around your bad knock sensor.

This mod allows you to swap out the Knock sensor WITHOUT removing the intake manifold and Everything else to get to it..
And relocates the KS to the front of the engine to prevent the false knock codes that trigger the ECM code.

Get a Nissan Maxima Knock sensor wiring harness
Nissan Harness part number is 24079-31U01 for a 1994-98 Maxima..

And a matching Maxima Knock sensor (preferably new)..

Find the plug for the knock sensor on the side of the engine below the intake manifold. Try to unplug the harness from the sensor by squeezing the tabs and pulling it.. If this isnt possible, then you can trace the wiring back to the beginning point on the right side valve cover..
You should be able to disconnect it and compare it to the new maxima wiring harness. The new maxima harness should plug right in where the stock harness went.
If it doesnt then modify it so it does plug in..
Then connect the new knock sensor and use a 10mm bolt, be sure to grinding down the connection for proper ground, and bolt it to the intake manifold, on one of the unused spots towards the front of the engine..
Make sure that it has a good ground..
Clear the engine code out..
And that Should fix your problem for good..

Here is a page from the maxima forums showing the relocation as well..
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/507

Part number..
Harness part number is 24079-31U01
You can use any nissan knock sensor, they are all the same, I repin it at the large connector on top of the RH valve cover

I wound up modifying the harness connector to accept the side ridges in the ks, and cutting two notches on the ridges of the ks to utilize the metal clip on the harness. Instead of figuring out the pinout/correct wires at the main harness connector, I twisted off the sensor wire on the back of the stock connector, cliped the maxima harness after the sheilding ended, and soldered them together. Looks stock after some new electrical tape although my hand got pretty beat up reaching in and removing the signal wire. Kinda sucks as I could feel the plug on the stock ks but there was not enough space to undo it. I just have to get a longer 10mm bolt to relocate it. There's plenty of open holes on the intake to ground it.

That's really all I can offer for your issue.
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
eric Jones
AF Newbie

That's ALL you can offer? Man I never expected such a detailed, concise, and polite response. I am grateful for the info, especially your taking the time from your day to help a brother out!! You have my deepest respect and appreciation!--Best--Eric
eric Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
kris
Off playing with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric Jones
That's ALL you can offer? Man I never expected such a detailed, concise, and polite response. I am grateful for the info, especially your taking the time from your day to help a brother out!! You have my deepest respect and appreciation!--Best--Eric

Ha, thanks. I changed the thread title to allow the search engines to find this easier.
kris is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Frontier | Navara